BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I own a 2008 535XI with 71,800 miles; the brake rotors and pads were replaced in June of 2014 by a BMW dealership. I only drive the car 5,000 miles per year. A low brake fluid warning indicator came on, and I checked the brake fluid reservoir, the fluid is not low. I'm fairly new to BMW: I'm I getting this warning because the current mileage indicates a needed brake fluid flush? Should I, or can I, turn off these warnings from BMW for future maintenance recommendations? Is a brake fluid flush really needed at 71,600 miles. The fluid looked clean in the reservoir.

Thank you! These cars are way to complicated :(

Novice BMW Owner.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Heads Up! Brake fluid maintenance is a MUST on these cars. Fluid should be replaced every two years or so due to moisture build up which can harm your brake system. Mileage is
not an indicator per se. If you do a lot of local driving it puts more stress on the brake system.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If the message is actually stating fluid level then it is not the CBS warning system making it light up.
The low fluid level warning sensor is a float in the fluid reservoir. IF it is unplugged there will be no message but if float sinks or wires short to each other then it will turn on the warning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake Fluid

Just to be sure that we are talking about the low brake fluid warning and not the brake fluid change, please see item no 64 in the attached for the icon showing low brake fluid.

View attachment 528611
Thanks Everyone for the replies: Yes I removed the air cabin filer to check the level. The warning is coming on the dash board in the form of a yellow triangle. It then shows in the "Service" info after hitting the "I" button and going to the service info.

I will take your advise and have the fluid changed.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,670 Posts
You get a low fluid warning when there is low fluid. That can sometimes happen naturally when your brake pads wear down enough. Of course, you can also have a fluid leak. But, if you had the top off the reservoir recently, you may have not put it back on correctly or pulled out the wires from the float sensor that is part of the reservoir cap.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You get a low fluid warning when there is low fluid. That can sometimes happen naturally when your brake pads wear down enough. Of course, you can also have a fluid leak. But, if you had the top off the reservoir recently, you may have not put it back on correctly or pulled out the wires from the float sensor that is part of the reservoir cap.
Fluid was nowhere near minimum on a visual check when I uncovered it.

I doubt my pads wore a lot in the 0km I drove between NOT having a warning, and the warning starting the next morning when first driven.

Reservoir lid is back on, with the sensor connector firmly clicked back on and checked for tightness before reassembly.

Maybe the level was a micron from the "first warning" level, and a speck of dust off the float put it over the edge by a massive coincidence. I will try it at full in a couple of days when my fluid arrives.

Once it starts this shit, assuming it just wanted a bigger buffer it turns the warning off, right? It's like a radiator low warning - top it up and it shuts up?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,670 Posts
Fluid was nowhere near minimum on a visual check when I uncovered it.

I doubt my pads wore a lot in the 0km I drove between NOT having a warning, and the warning starting the next morning when first driven.

Reservoir lid is back on, with the sensor connector firmly clicked back on and checked for tightness before reassembly.

Maybe the level was a micron from the "first warning" level, and a speck of dust off the float put it over the edge by a massive coincidence. I will try it at full in a couple of days when my fluid arrives.

Once it starts this shit, assuming it just wanted a bigger buffer it turns the warning off, right? It's like a radiator low warning - top it up and it shuts up?
Yes, if it is just low and you put more brake fluid in the warning goes away. I've triggered the warning before when i was changing the brake fluid or pads and had the reservoir top off and it went away when I put it back on. Still seems very coincidental and that is bothersome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.