Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
jodybreeze318
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my car recently overheated. I pulled over immediately and had it towed. I took it to the dealership and it ended up being that the expansion tank had "ruptured" so i had it replaced. now the cars Low Coolant light comes on and off. At first I thought maybe they didnt bleed the system properly so id let the air out myself. and that seemed to help a little, however now the light comes on whenever im sitting still or driving slowly. Temp gauge reads normal, no visible leaks, and the dealer told me they pressure tested the coolant system and head gasket when they fixed it and assured me everything was fine. i brought it from a used car dealer not a bmw dealer. I brought the car with 85k miles on it and it now has 91k. Any idea whats going on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
So my car recently overheated. I pulled over immediately and had it towed. I took it to the dealership and it ended up being that the expansion tank had "ruptured" so i had it replaced. now the cars Low Coolant light comes on and off. At first I thought maybe they didnt bleed the system properly so id let the air out myself. and that seemed to help a little, however now the light comes on whenever im sitting still or driving slowly. Temp gauge reads normal, no visible leaks, and the dealer told me they pressure tested the coolant system and head gasket when they fixed it and assured me everything was fine. i brought it from a used car dealer not a bmw dealer. I brought the car with 85k miles on it and it now has 91k. Any idea whats going on?
Try adding a little more coolant. The rapist's at BMW make mistakes too and may have left it a little light. Just don't fill it to where the stick comes out above the ET top or you'll be getting another one in short order.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try adding a little more coolant. The rapist's at BMW make mistakes too and may have left it a little light. Just don't fill it to where the stick comes out above the ET top or you'll be getting another one in short order.

Just some advice try to find a reputable independent European mechanic unless you like overpaying for just about any service on your vehicle.

·
jodybreeze318
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I drove it about 90 minutes to a destination last night and the light popped on at especially lower speeds (sometimes at higher) , but did not come back on for the entire return trip. I had been adding coolant until it basically was about to overflow. Maybe this will go away. One thing i did notice while pumping gas was that the upper hose from the thermostat was hot while the one to the left was basically just luke warm? Is that normal? engine temp read normal the whole time.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
If you add until it overflows you're severely overfilling. Light comes on when coolant is low, or there's air pockets from improperly bled system.

Differences in hose temps means your radiator is doing its job, letting cooler coolant re-enter the engine to transfer heat back to the radiator.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Or you have a loose/bad connection on the level switch.

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
when refilling have the engine on and the the heat at full blast (opens the thermostat) you need to get the Coolant flowing constantly through out the system...no periodic restrictions.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
when refilling have the engine on and the the heat at full blast (opens the heater valve) you need to get the Coolant flowing constantly through out the system...no periodic restrictions.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app
Fixed it for ya.

·
Registered
15,210 Posts
At this mileage of 90K, best is to do a cooling overhaul.

Search for my DIY Partial Cooling Overhaul in Xoutpost E53 forum.

PS: During coolant reservoir replacement, the dealer might have damaged the coolant level sensor (about $15 at dealer).

Do NOT allow the car to overheat again, it could be very expensive (blown head gasket).
Again, the way to avoid that is to do a partial cooling overhaul.
Too bad you don't live around here, otherwise I can help you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts