Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

As some of you may recall (from the forum) I had a massive coolant leak back in fall. Massive as in losing all my coolant within 5-10 mins of driving.

I got that fixed from an indie and they installed the metal expandable pipe...$1500 bucks later all is well.

The past month or so I have had to fill my coolant once every 3-4 weeks. Note I live in the North and this winter has been brutal with temps in the teens and sometimes even negative. I could not locate a leak/wet pan as I did with the larger leak.

Any idea what could be wrong or better places to look? This coolant s**** is getting annoying...

Thanks in advance!

BMW 550i

·
Registered
964 Posts
That's alot to lose without seeing a leak. Hope it's not getting into motor. I had a issue where my car ran cool even in summer found out my tstat was faulting and stuck open. So change waterpump and tstat at same time...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Annolago - the repair was done back in October. Definitely fixed the major issue. I get the low coolant alert/indication on cold days when I haven't driven the car much. Maybe the mixture of water to coolant needs is off (right now I have it at 50/50). This is the third time I have had a coolant leak...getting really frustrated at this point after spending nearly $5K into the system.I feel like we have changed every hose/potential leakage area lol!

@nicknice91303 - I had waterpumped replaced roughly a year ago.

·
Registered
964 Posts
@Annolago - the repair was done back in October. Definitely fixed the major issue. I get the low coolant alert/indication on cold days when I haven't driven the car much. Maybe the mixture of water to coolant needs is off (right now I have it at 50/50). This is the third time I have had a coolant leak...getting really frustrated at this point after spending nearly $5K into the system.I feel like we have changed every hose/potential leakage area lol!

@nicknice91303 - I had waterpumped replaced roughly a year ago.
Yeah if it was a tstat you would also throw a CEL.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
995 Posts
Another area that is prone to leaking coolant with age is by the rear main seal, between engine and transmission, right behind the dual mass fly wheel. Inspect the area for leakage. NOTE: Car under shield can absorb quite a bit of fluid without letting it drip onto the driveway. Usually, the under shield being wet is a sign of leakage.

Look at part #5 in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=NB53-USA-11-2006-E60-BMW-550i&diagId=11_3251

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much was the tstat repair and what does it entail?

My last repair was to replace the coolant expansion tank and valley transfer plate - quoted by BMW for $3400.

·
Registered
995 Posts
How much was the tstat repair and what does it entail?

My last repair was to replace the coolant expansion tank and valley transfer plate - quoted by BMW for $3400.
t-stat has 3 screws attaching it to water pump and a hose from radiator attached to it by quick connect. 20 minute DIY and about $100 in parts.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not bad. And this morning my CEL just came on...looks like Tsat is the issue.
Did you check the coolant plate area between engine and transmission for leaks? I recently did clutch work and that part needed to be replaced due to slight leak developing. It's cheap part but transmission needs to be dropped to replace it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So my CEL came on a few days ago and vs taking the car to Autozone or a dealer I decided to buy Carista on Amazon. Plugged it in and the following codes appeared on my car.

P2187 - System Too Lean at Idle Bank 1
P2189 - System Too Lean at Idle Bank 2
9C54 - IHKA: AUC Sensor

1. What is the resoultion to the codes above - any correlation to the low BAT?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts