BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find low or no dust brake pads for my 3.0 X5. I've been to various websites & many don't show 2008 models. Does anyone know if the pads are different from earlier year models, say like 2000? I'm looking for the EBC greenstuff series 7000 SUV pads, but can't find these available when looking for 2007 or 2008.

Any other suggestions, different brands, etc? The dusting is ridiculous! Does anyone have these on their vehicle that can give me feedback?

·
Registered
512 Posts
while i can't help with pad selections, i have seen, at the parts counter, a wax / polish that is supposed to help with ease in cleaning the dust.

·
Burtman
94 Posts
It is called WheelWax and I have used this product on my 08 X5. So far I only have 1500 on the X5 but with this product on the wheels it is easy and fast to clean of any brake dust!

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
There's also a product called "Rejex" that does a similar job.

The problem with brake pads, especially on a vehicle as heavy as an X5, is that the compromise you have to make in stopping power to get a pad that doesn't dust is significant.

I've found good luck with Akebono Euro pads on my 98 M3, which no longer sees the track. I'm hesitant, now, though, to *really* push the car, because even under not-at-the-limit braking conditions, there is a discernible difference

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the EBC line, they have their "redstuff" brand available for 2000 and on for my 3.0L. I'm assuming the 2008 brake pads are the same as 2007? They are more expensive, but are even lowing dusting than the greenstuff. Here is what they say:

"EBC REDSTUFF CERAMIC 3000 SERIES BRAKE PAD SET -- Made From A High Quality Kevlar Fibre-Based Compound That Is Enhanced With Ceramic Particles, Engineered For Highly Tuned And High Horsepower Cars, Lasts Longer, Brakes Better And Quieter Than Pre-Ceramic Compound Pads, Best For High-Speed Spirited Street Driving And Heavy Duty Braking, Designed To Minimize Brake Dust Up To 50% Better Than Standard Pads.

Anyone have any experience with these? BTW, I did order some of the wheel wax others have written about. I'll try it out next week.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There have been lots of "shudder" problems with the EBC Greenstuff pads. So much so EBC has created a web page to try to deflect blame and say it is due to installations and poor rotor quality, which is not the case. The Redstuff is not that low dusting.You can get the rear pads they are available from Axxis and Hawk. However, the fronts are a new shape and style, they are a FMSI shape D1294 and as far as I know are not available yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
bavauto.com had a great wright up on all the type's of pad Pagid makes?
There is a new type the has low dust, don't need to get hot for grip, and good tolerance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I've read, the redstuff should be as low or even lower dusting than the greenstuff. The redstuff are kelvar with ceramic particles and are rated better in every catagory for braking, etc over the greenstuff. How would using a combo work? Using the redstuff on the fronts & Akebonos on the rear, since the only ceramic/low dust pad I can find for the 2007/2008 3.0 fronts is the red/greenstuff.

BTW, I bought the wheelwax & was not impressed. After applying, I drove for two days, just 50 miles or so & used a hose to "rinse off' the dust. It just made a mess. Looks like a waste of money & time to me so far.

I just need to get some freaking pads that don't cover my wheels with gray powder!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The combo should be fine. Weekend Track People have been known to put after market "big brake's" just in the front and leave the back alone. So my guess is; put the big $ red guys in front and something "Ok good" in back. Most of the dust I get is in front anyway. It's like a (2) to (1) cleaning. And when I did my brakes, I did not need to replace the back. (I just replaced everything at the time) The light came on do to the front's gettting low. I will put the red's on next time my light come on, (just in the front).

If your Mags are painted (base coat clear coat like) or just have a clear coat over them to seal them; you can use light waxing after cleaning. (I think that's what the one step wheel stuff is trying to do). If your wheels are bare aluminum; you will need to get a aluminum mag cleanner made just for bare aluminum mag's. Most of this type of cleaner has a type of acid in it; so, you need to work with it fast. Spray the wheel with water; spray with aluminum mag cleaner, wait half min, spray off with water then use "wheel only" brush with left over car soap or fresh buckit of car soap to clean the rest of the wheel.

BAVAUTO sale's a nice big fat brush with soft bristles just for wheel's "mag's". I picked one up from them and it has cut down my cleaning time a-lot.

And no I do not work for them, they just have cool stuff that most there staff use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts