BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the forum and making a list of the recommended products to use on my new 330. However, I am afraid that due to a medical issue the process of washing, claying, rewashing, applying AIO, and several coats of SG might be way out of bounds for me. Are there any products out there that can produce servicable results with only one or two steps. I realize there will be trade offs when taking shortcuts but I figure some protection is better than none. I remeber a number of years ago someone recommended to me a combination of a meguiers liquid cleaner/polish followed by a coat of carnuba wax. Would something like this be of value? If so, what are the best products to use? I know this is a less than desirable approach but under the circumstances, whatever I do must be without a great deal of effort.
Thanks,
Larry

·
.oo=||=oo.
1,126 Posts
I wash and wax with off the shelf carnauba wax products with more than satisfactory results.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Using AIO seems to be the answer.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Honestly, if you are thinking of using a 2 step process of a cleaner followed by a wax, I think you'll get better and longer protection with one coat of AIO followed by one coat of SG using the quicker "wipe on, wipe off" method than you will with any wax even if you wait a week to apply the SG after applying the AIO (so you're not doing it all at one time).

The problem people have with SG is getting it off after they've allowed it to dry, but there's no need to do that. Many people have found the result is just as good wiping it on a 2x2 or 3x3 area and wipe it off immediately because it bonds with the paint immediately. To fully cure, it needs at least 24 hours and preferably a week, but not to bond and if you wipe it right down you'll be fine. I can do my whole car very quickly and easily using this method and it could last you up to 6 months vs. only a few weeks with wax before you're out there doing it again. You also don't have to worry about getting SG on black trim which makes it quicker and easier than wax. Just a suggestion, but I think you'll find it easier requiring less effort.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
If you want a one step product, go with the Zaino instead of the Klasse. One coat of Zaino will protect oyu for 6 months and the car will look great. It is also very easy to remove. You simply apply it to the car, let it sit for half an hour or so, then buff off. It comes off easier than wax does.

If you can clay bar, that would be great. but if you can't you can live without that step. The car will still be protected. There's the remote chance that you could create some micro scratches - but i wouldn't worry too much about that.

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
if that's the case then why not take it to a professional detailer and let them do it for you? We have several around here that specialize specifically in Zaino detailing. :dunno:

http://www.zainomobiledetail.com/intro.shtml

once the initial prep & basecoat is done then the occasional extra coat is very easy & low effort :)

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
I think the point of the original poster is that he can't really mess with prep part of the job but doesn't mind throwing some wax on from time to time. I think that he has 2 choices: cleaner wax or pro detailer every 6 months and wax himself. For cleaner waxes IMO you can't do better than AIO. For budget conscious Mother's carnauba cleaner wax is a great choice.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
P21S Carnauba- goes on and off like butter. Excellent shine too.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
P21S Carnauba- goes on and off like butter. Excellent shine too.
Yup, my neighbor uses it on his Porsche and the stuff is great. Easy as spreading butter, incredible shine and you don't have to worry about getting it on black trim. But he paid $35 at some place in Newport and since S100 is supposedly the same thing marketed for motorcycles at half the price, I picked up a jar for my dad at a local Harley shop for $15 and I can't tell the difference. I don't think there's a better wax for the money on the market.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
1Dreamer said:
Yup, my neighbor uses it on his Porsche and the stuff is great. Easy as spreading butter, incredible shine and you don't have to worry about getting it on black trim. But he paid $35 at some place in Newport and since S100 is supposedly the same thing marketed for motorcycles at half the price, I picked up a jar for my dad at a local Harley shop for $15 and I can't tell the difference. I don't think there's a better wax for the money on the market.
Very good point, I totally forgot that. The S100 is the same stuff and cheaper. (weird marketing trick if you ask me)

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
(weird marketing trick if you ask me)
Very, considering they don't even try to make it look different. Even the size and colors they use on the jar are the same and the product description is almost identical except they replace "car" with "bike." My father kept joking that I got him wax for a bycicle and he doesn't have a bike.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
1Dreamer said:
My father kept joking that I got him wax for a bycicle and he doesn't have a bike.
:rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
204 Posts
California

Anyone in California provide this service?

TeamM3 said:
if that's the case then why not take it to a professional detailer and let them do it for you? We have several around here that specialize specifically in Zaino detailing. :dunno:

http://www.zainomobiledetail.com/intro.shtml

once the initial prep & basecoat is done then the occasional extra coat is very easy & low effort :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts