BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Touring with Traction
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have about 2000 miles on my new wagon. While driving home today, the "low fuel" warning light came on, and I checked the computer remaining range and it said about 50 mi. I drove another 5 mi or so, and on two occassions about a minute apart the car stuttered and slowed down. I then stopped and filled the tank and have had no problems since.

Has anyone else had problems with the fuel gauge reqding or the low fuel warning?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Wow, that's exactly the opposite of how my light behaves. It turns on usually around 1/8 tank, and I regularly go 50+ miles (I don't have a OBC) after it comes on before getting gas.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Trust the light

The "Low Fuel" light is connected to the fuel gauge. The board computer gives an estimate based on your mean fuel consumption. So, I would trust the low fuel light and not the distance estimate.

My "Low Fuel" light usually comes on when the computer gives a 90-100km estimate, but I have driven until it was just 40km. I filled up and there were 10lt left in the tank. So there is ample fuel in reserve.

Could there be dirt in your petrol tank that got through the engine when the fuel was too low? If the "check engine" light flashed momentarily, this could be the case.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
The fuel gauge is electronic. The low fuel light is supposed to illuminate when the car calculates you have approximately 50 miles left to go. Mine always comes on exactly when the OBC shows 50 miles. There are some instances when the Fuel level reading system and/or mileage calculater have been improperly calibrated and are reading incorrectly (showing more miles than you actually had). It happened on my friends M3 (he ran out of gas with the OBC showing 100 miles left). Take it to the shop, they can reprogram it.

·
10,856 Posts
I've run my gauge down past zero a couple of times. (Once when I was trying to get 300 miles out of a tank of gas. I failed. And once when gas stations were just not easily accessible for about twenty miles.)

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I've run my gauge down past zero a couple of times. (Once when I was trying to get 300 miles out of a tank of gas. I failed. And once when gas stations were just not easily accessible for about twenty miles.)
LOL

Ran out of gas trying to get 300 miles :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Once when I was trying to set a Finnish World Record for the farthest driven on one tank (63 liters) of fuel :D I got the OBC down to an estimated 2km of fuel remaining. That was however, after I had already driven 1,090 km (oh sorry, 678 miles) on that single tank.

Needless to say, I did NOT set a record. That came on the next tank.

Patrick

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Re: Record

TGD said:
What is the official record?
There actually is no Finnish World Record of anything ... I was kidding.

MY official record is 1,105km on one tank. It wasn't easy and I will never try that hard to conserve fuel - even if diesel costs $2.90 a gallon. :confused:

Patrick

·
10,856 Posts
nate328Ci said:

LOL

Ran out of gas trying to get 300 miles :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I even took a picture! :D

Before my drive up to Boston, that was my record for a tank of gas. By at least 30 miles. :p

·
10,856 Posts
Patrick 320d said:
Looks like you are also out of wiper fluid! You really should not drink that unless you know what you are doing!

Patrick

I know, but sometimes I just can't help myself! It tastes SO good. :D :lmao: :D

·
10,856 Posts
Patrick 320d said:

Well, the tunnel vision it can give you is irreversable! Ask any bum that has run out of Mad Dog!!

Patrick
Yes, but it enhances concentration on the road. :D No more glancing at the girls on the sidewalk. :lmao:

·
10,856 Posts
Patrick 320d said:

:lmao:

Guess this thread has been hijacked - fuel consumption woes to guzzling wiper fluid.

:D

Patrick
*offers up fresh wiper fluid to the hijack gods*

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Patrick 320d said:
Once when I was trying to set a Finnish World Record for the farthest driven on one tank (63 liters) of fuel :D I got the OBC down to an estimated 2km of fuel remaining. That was however, after I had already driven 1,090 km (oh sorry, 678 miles) on that single tank.

Needless to say, I did NOT set a record. That came on the next tank.

Patrick
678 miles a tank? I could fill up once a month! I once got the computer to show one mile left. I was pretty nervous though. In fact, I was slightly naseous. Now I just fill it up after the light comes on when it's convenient . . .

But I did once get 425 miles to a tank. Only have to push 2 wheels, of course.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts