BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have noticed that the most I get per tank is 250 to 270 miles per tank :cry: :cry: , i use to get 300+, nothing change as far as i know, car drive great, but my miles per tank as drop alot, I have just replace my Camshaft sensor and nothing inproved :(. Any suggestion.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
rudejamaican said:
Lately I have noticed that the most I get per tank is 250 to 270 miles per tank :cry: :cry: , i use to get 300+, nothing change as far as i know, car drive great, but my miles per tank as drop alot, I have just replace my Camshaft sensor and nothing inproved :(. Any suggestion.
Get the codes read. There may be soft errors that will not trigger a CEL/SES. Randomly replacing sensors is an expensive way to fix the problem.

That said, summer gas in some states gives you worse mileage than winter gas.

Bill

·
Registered
286 Posts
Up north we have 10% entanol in our gas as an oxigenator instead of MBTE. I noticed that when I dove down to Florida last winter my gas milage got better as I got further South. My suspicion was that our Ethanol blended gas dosn't get as good milage as 100% gas.

The Federal Government is pressuing states to use Ethanol blend to cut down on smog/pollution.

Is it possible your area has recently switched to 10% Ethanol blend?

Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
rudejamaican said:
Have you replaced the fuel filter?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BillP said:
Get the codes read. There may be soft errors that will not trigger a CEL/SES. Randomly replacing sensors is an expensive way to fix the problem.

That said, summer gas in some states gives you worse mileage than winter gas.

Bill
I replace the camshaft sensor because I have gotten a code a few time, now it all good, the car is driving better since the replacement, but gas milage remain the same :(

·
Fas kine Touring, Brah!
259 Posts
How's your tire pressure? You get better mileage when you have your tires fully inflated.

It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont know if this makes sense.....
but the colder the air.... the colder the gas right? And the colder thins are.... the more dense they are.... right? So in other words.... denser gas will get better millage?
Maybe?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
islandbeef said:
How's your tire pressure? You get better mileage when you have your tires fully inflated.

It's a no brainer.
yeah but i dont think the would make a 30 to 50 mile per tank difference , I know the AC is a big drain, but would that make that much of a difference ??, if so, those ladies that i drive around with are gonna start feeling the heat
:rofl: :rofl:

·
JSM01
86 Posts
rudejamaican said:
yeah but i dont think the would make a 30 to 50 mile per tank difference , I know the AC is a big drain, but would that make that much of a difference ??, if so, those ladies that i drive around with are gonna start feeling the heat
:rofl: :rofl:
AC does make a big difference, especially in the city! Also, didn't you just get the Dinan SW upgrades... is your foot just a little heavier these days...? Just a thought!

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
rudejamaican said:
yeah but i dont think the would make a 30 to 50 mile per tank difference , I know the AC is a big drain, but would that make that much of a difference ??
Depends. Keeping the windows down while driving on the freeway can actually decrease mileage more than using the air conditioning.

Consumer Reports' auto-test department reports that the air conditioner reduces your car's fuel efficiency by up to 10 percent. So to achieve maximum fuel efficiency, motorists should avoid using the air conditioner at speeds below 40 mph and travel with their windows down, explains Gabe Shenhar, senior auto test engineer at Consumer Report's auto-test department.

"But as your speed increases to 45 mph, or highway speeds," says Jason Toews, co-founder of GasBuddy.com, "wind drag becomes an issue. Driving with the windows down increases the drag on your vehicle, resulting in decreased fuel economy by up to 10 percent. Drive at speeds over 55 mph with windows down and you'll decrease fuel economy by up to 20 percent or greater."

Shenhar and Hampshire agree: It's all in your speed.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20050804a1.asp

·
Registered
208 Posts
actually, i just read a new report (can't seem to find it) where they did some 'real-world' testing. actually placing sensors on the car to see the amount of gas consumed while driving. it showed that using your AC made almost no difference (or so little that it couldn't be considered as contributing factor) to gas mileage. they performed their tests using different driving styles, tire pressures, AC on/off, etc. if i remember correctly the number one factor in gas consumption was brake use...if you drive aggressively and have to use your brakes more (i.e. wasting energy) you end up using more gas. not rocket science, but it did put a number to how big of a factor aggressive driving really is.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
jpettit said:
actually, i just read a new report (can't seem to find it) where they did some 'real-world' testing. actually placing sensors on the car to see the amount of gas consumed while driving. it showed that using your AC made almost no difference (or so little that it couldn't be considered as contributing factor) to gas mileage. they performed their tests using different driving styles, tire pressures, AC on/off, etc. if i remember correctly the number one factor in gas consumption was brake use...if you drive aggressively and have to use your brakes more (i.e. wasting energy) you end up using more gas. not rocket science, but it did put a number to how big of a factor aggressive driving really is.
Yeah, I believe I read the same thing somewhere, and that a lot of it has to do with various factors such as braking and even engine size. The smaller the engine, the more work it has to do so it'll have more impact on mpg than a larger engine where the additional load on the engine is relatively small by comparison.

I calculate my approx. mileage at every fill-up and I've noticed no measurable difference in mileage despite running my air quite a bit lately, but I normally like to drive with the windows and sunroof open (weather permitting) so it's probably a wash. However, in my previous 525, I defninitely noticed a greater decrease in mileage from running the air - and a very obvious reduction in engine power. I'm sure running the air sucks some power from the 540, but it's so insignificant relative to the overall power of the car that I have yet to notice it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a similar problem, but this is after I did the Dinan stage 1 software upgrade. The OBD reading went from 19.7 to 17.1. I always get 300 Miles plus per full tank but I been heading to the pump at 280 Miles now. Keep in mind I didn't change my driving habbit. The only that changed was the hot Southern Cal wheather. I thought Dinan software was suppose to save on gas.

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
I'm sticking to the 10% Ethanol suggestion. I noticed exactly the same thing. i can't see more than 300 miles to a tank with it. When i go to my parents place, they do not put the ethanol in the fuel there, and i can go upwards of 400 miles (all highway).

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm in New England and they have recently fed us the Etahnol 10% blend... And I've seen some changes with the characteristics of my car. Stalling, SES Light... At first I thought that it may have been a camshaft sensor, but she didn't produce any codes when I checked!
After trying to ride it out... I've kept the tank at least half full and haven't noticed it again...
I usually get 17-18 MPG, and roughly 285 per tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts