BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok where should i start from?

1.I have 523 m52(single vanos) I had 15 mpg(average) rough idle, bad acceleration. and car just could not gone above 120 mph it was max speed for my bmw could achieve.

1. plugged in my friend laptop soft for bmw it said o2 sensors. nothing more. replaced them

result does not changed.

2. after I have replaced o2 sensors plugged again it said fuel trim bank

3. went to local repair shop asked them to let smoke in to my engine

they did it and we saw that there were vacuum leak from 3 places.

1. first was from the bottom of the crankcase ventilation pipe
2. Second was from small pipe of MAf which connects from engine side
3. the third one was under the second intake line, as you know there are lots of pipes under intake system.

now I am gonna repair all this **** and hope things will get better XD

hope this helps you guys

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes om where did i get?? I live In Georgia country and here we have tons of bmw from germany damaged bmw then they are sold as parts, so we have tons of parts very cheap all oem parts.i just paid 50 dollars and changed at at 150000 miles

·
Under the lift arms
13,019 Posts
tHANKS for the info... its pretty common for these engines.. almost all of us have already been there.. or will be shortly

some of us are coming around on our 2nd time

·
ALGhoul
1,254 Posts
Can you take a pictures even from the web so it'll be clearer in picture than typing
Maf hose I know it but
Which one intake
I think this is on m52 only not m54 engine right ?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
This thread does not make sense, what happened when you stopped the vacuum leaks?
How many miles per gallon, or liter per 100 km are you getting now then?
What was the mpg before, and after the sealing of the vacuum leaks?
Provide good info here and we can say it is solved, as you write...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok guys give me few days, I have 14 mpg at this moment,
I am going to repair it on Tuesday, I will give all info, with pictures and mpg after i will fix everything,

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so you replaced a used unit with another used unit?
yes but there is a big difference in German cars and US cars,

While you buy German car and it will arrive in my country even if it has 120000 miles in it it is in a very good conditions clean, when its disassemble everything is checked and they are in a very good conditions parts i mean, because they really care for cars, and when you buy a car for yourself from usa on copard or on manheim or anywhere you get a car which is ****ed up its interior is ****ed up dirty bad parts and so on... I dont know why us cars are so bad and german cars are so good even after so many miles)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Huh, 14 mpg is really bad, are you only driving in town?

·
Registered
40 Posts
guys, stick to the topic. I agree title doesn't make sense, remove "SOLVED" from the title till it's fixed.

OP, you need the CCV job done. buy a kit at fcpeuro for ~$170. lots of DIY and youtube
#1 is the return oil pipe (which probably disintegrated and has a hole in it)
#2 is the lower intake boot
#3 - there are two more pipes in there, and the CCV valve itself

this is the first time I hear someone "putting smoke in the engine" :) :) :) sounds cool

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guys, stick to the topic. I agree title doesn't make sense, remove "SOLVED" from the title till it's fixed.

OP, you need the CCV job done. buy a kit at fcpeuro for ~$170. lots of DIY and youtube
#1 is the return oil pipe (which probably disintegrated and has a hole in it)
#2 is the lower intake boot
#3 - there are two more pipes in there, and the CCV valve itself

this is the first time I hear someone "putting smoke in the engine" :) :) :) sounds cool
yes while you flow smoke into your engine it will show where does it leaks.)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMG_0171.jpg

pic01.jpg
#1 CCV valve pipes not ccv
#2 is the lower intake boot(there is a picture from google for it )
#3 return oil pipe
#4 vanos unit (changed)

also i changed valve cover gasket and under oil filter gasket(you should change it or it will make a serious damage to your engine)

also there is not everything on photos sorry for that
I did the job changed everything (vanos unit costed 30 dollars + repair 20 usd)(pipes change seals change = 50 usd) = 100usd.

I had 11mpg in my small town.
now i have 17mpg, perfect idle,

and 32.2 mpg on highway

·
RIP #9
1,414 Posts
Sounds like it's fixed. However, your claims re: German vs. American cars is incorrect re: the VANOS. BMW, whether purposefully or not, installed seals made of Buna in the VANOS units. Buna breaks down over time with exposure to oil, heat, etc. The Viton seals available from Beisan Systems do not suffer from this problem.

Bottomline: it doesn't matter what country made it, the VANOS seals are usually toast after relatively few miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts