Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 535i , now that temps have dropped I have been getting low oil pressure upon cold starting. Message goes away after 15-30 seconds. Car has 210k on it and change oil proabley every 3000 miles or so, have always ran Mobil 0w-40. Anyway was thinking of dropping the pan to take a peak and also address a pesky pan gasket leak and wondering if the masses are dropping the subframe. Or just the shields and whatever easy components are in way and dropping just the pan?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not an expert but maybe sending unit is bad, then oil pump, then mains at the worst. Guy could pop some caps and plasti-guage for a reading. Thats where I would start investigating

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
... or put in a temporary oil pressure gauge if you're gonna run the engine with a low oilpressure alarm. Www.NewTIS.info has the details of specified oils pressure and oil pressure switch / gauge piping.

·
Registered
367 Posts
... or put in a temporary oil pressure gauge if you're gonna run the engine with a low oilpressure alarm. Www.NewTIS.info has the details of specified oils pressure and oil pressure switch / gauge piping.
This is an excellent idea in general. We can't just assume any errors have deeper meaning as they could simply be generated by errant sensors, especially considering age and weather effects. :thumbup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
On the N54 only time I ever see oil pressure issues is after it's sucked a belt and the belt wasn't completely cleaned out of the engine, or occasionally an oil pressure. Has your vehicle ever pitched the belt? I'm guessing you've checked the oil level?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the N54 only time I ever see oil pressure issues is after it's sucked a belt and the belt wasn't completely cleaned out of the engine, or occasionally an oil pressure. Has your vehicle ever pitched the belt? I'm guessing you've checked the oil level?
Engine has shredded the belt before I figured out the overrun pulley on the alternator was seized but did not get pulled through the front main seal, also this is only a cold start issue so only when temps in the morning are sub zero am I seeing this low pressure message. And this only started this winter was fine last winter. Currently I am running 0w-40 was tempted to try a different brand to see if that changes it.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
There are oil check valves that keep oil in the vanos during cold starts .. It would be worthwhile to check the valves ,, because if they are faulty . They will throw a low oil pressure warning . They have a plastic piece that deteriorates and cracks off and the pieces fall to the bottom of the pan .

·
Under the lift arms
12,949 Posts
put a physical gauge on it first

Confirm confirm confirm

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
put a physical gauge on it first

Confirm confirm confirm
Agreed. This is first.

If actually low (meaning pressure sensor is good), I'd check HF's advice.

Then I'd drain the oil through a screen to see if any leftover belt pieces are bouncing around in the pan.

If any are found, pull the oil sensor and stick a borehole camera in there to have a close look around. The oil sensor opening is bigger than the oil drain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts