BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have low profile tires now that are 225/45/R18. My car already looks somewhat low its the bmw sports model. I need winter tires or all season tires asap because my car is unable to move in the snow. its always stuck over the smallest amount of snow. Should i go with the All season tires? They are 235/60/R18
would the 60 be a big jump? would it hit the bumper? some advise would be greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Ali Baba

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
You`re taking your life in your hands (LITERALLY) if you attempt to drive on summer tires. Get a set of dedicated (REAL) winter tires on 17-inch wheels. Size 215/50/17 would be just right. Plenty of used wheels on the Classifieds, etc.

·
Registered
609 Posts
No, do not go with all seasons. They are truely insufficient for snowy conditions. Invest in a set of quality winter tires in the same size as your current tires. Or, better yet, buy a dedicated set of 17" wheels with winter tires on them. These can be a little narrower, which will allow for a better bite in the snow. That way, with just a floor jack and torque wrench you can swap them out at will. Plus, you may be able to mount chains, something you cannot do with your current setup. You can buy wheel and tire setups from Tirerack. Or, you can pick up a set of OEM 17" 330i wheels from Craigslist or whatever the Canadian equivelent is and put winter tires on them. But whatever you do, don't cheap out and get crappy tires that won't hack the conditions you're driving in. You've invested this much in your car already. Plus you should invest in your safety as well as your passengers' and those around you. Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think chains are approved only for wheels up to 16". But a set of good winter tires mounted on dedicated wheels (205/50-17) is the way to go since very few 16" wheels will clear the front brakes.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
winter tires with rims 5X120 are hard to find on kijjiji and the ones that are up there for sale are over 500 dollars.
I am not loaded with cash but i was planing to use 300 for tires or so. the 18inch that i can find are all 225/60 or 235/60-65.
There is only a month or so left for winter here in canada, i mean i have been driving it since jan, its just that it snowed a lot the past and and has pilled up a lot of snow. i am still debating, i mean i do need winter tires for next summer. I was thinking of just waiting out the winter and have my car parked for it to cool down a bit.

i wanted to keep the rims and just change the tires

i also just found this, i texted to see if they are still available.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-...ter-205-60r15-winter-tires-W0QQAdIdZ559815763

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
winter tires with rims 5X120 are hard to find on kijjiji and the ones that are up there for sale are over 500 dollars.
I am not loaded with cash but i was planing to use 300 for tires or so. the 18inch that i can find are all 225/60 or 235/60-65.
There is only a month or so left for winter here in canada, i mean i have been driving it since jan, its just that it snowed a lot the past and and has pilled up a lot of snow. i am still debating, i mean i do need winter tires for next summer. I was thinking of just waiting out the winter and have my car parked for it to cool down a bit.

i wanted to keep the rims and just change the tires

i also just found this, i texted to see if they are still available.

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-autos-et-...ter-205-60r15-winter-tires-W0QQAdIdZ559815763
Your thinking is ass-backwards....18-inch wheels are exactly what you don`t need ! 18s are meant for high-performance summer tires....wide and ultra-low-profile is what you`re looking to avoid ....narrower, taller tires are what`s needed here. You want tires that will bite down through the snow....wide, low-profile tires tend to ride up onto the snow like a toboggan....not good for The Great White North !:tsk:

The `Fest Classifieds, E46Fanatics Classifieds, and others are loaded with used wheels & tires....I bought a used set about 3 years ago for $250, the tires had a full season plus of rubber left on them. Look around.:thumbup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your thinking is ass-backwards....18-inch wheels are exactly what you don`t need ! 18s are meant for high-performance summer tires....wide and ultra-low-profile is what you`re looking to avoid ....narrower, taller tires are what`s needed here. You want tires that will bite down through the snow....wide, low-profile tires tend to ride up onto the snow like a toboggan....not good for The Great White North !:tsk:

The `Fest Classifieds, E46Fanatics Classifieds, and others are loaded with used wheels & tires....I bought a used set about 3 years ago for $250, the tires had a full season plus of rubber left on them. Look around.:thumbup:
okay thank you, so i should go for either 16' or 17' right? and steelies would work in the winter i am guessing.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
okay thank you, so i should go for either 16' or 17' right? and steelies would work in the winter i am guessing.
No....17s only....16s will never fit over your brakes....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tires are the right size and appear to be a quality model.
Condition looks good, but check the manufacture date. And take a tread depth gauge: at 6/32" (~4 mm) snows are done, even if they still look meaty. This is why so many winter tires are sold with half the tread remaining.
Wheels look like cheap Chinese stuff. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The wheels might be worth $100-$200. 4 mount and balance would run ~$60. That leaves $140 to $240 for the rubber. 1 NEW tires will be about $240. New tread depth is 11/32", so each 1/32" worn = 20% useful life gone. If depth is 9/32" or more, it is probably a good deal. At 8/32" a maybe. Less? You should be in love with the wheels because you will be buying new tires for them in a season.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tires are the right size and appear to be a quality model.
Condition looks good, but check the manufacture date. And take a tread depth gauge: at 6/32" (~4 mm) snows are done, even if they still look meaty. This is why so many winter tires are sold with half the tread remaining.
Wheels look like cheap Chinese stuff. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The wheels might be worth $100-$200. 4 mount and balance would run ~$60. That leaves $140 to $240 for the rubber. 1 NEW tires will be about $240. New tread depth is 11/32", so each 1/32" worn = 20% useful life gone. If depth is 9/32" or more, it is probably a good deal. At 8/32" a maybe. Less? You should be in love with the wheels because you will be buying new tires for them in a season.

thank you, i will get a gauge and check it, but they look good and the guy said it has 85% thread left so lets see what happens!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Being that we`re already halfway through the winter, I`m reasonably sure the used wheel & tire market is slim pickings right now. Buy them because you need them....granted, they`re not the most attractive wheels in captivity, but they`ll get the job done, and you can always sell them in the fall....there`s always a market for used winter wheels. :thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
thank you, i will get a gauge and check it, but they look good and the guy said it has 85% thread left so lets see what happens!
$400 CAD seems like a decent price for 4 Conti winter tires on rims. Even if they have a bit less tread than advertised, they will be far, far better in the snow than what you have on now. Go check them out. As long as they aren't cut or damaged, get 'em!

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
A gauge is the only way to know whether that 85% estimate is correct. I've seen too many "less than 5000 miles" tires that had barely half the tread depth remaining.

You can also use a (American) penny as an accurate tire gauge, that technique has been used for probably 60 years or more. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The old standby works OK to determine whether a tire is "legal". OTOH, a US quarter has ~4/32" to the top of George's head to indicate "safe" for rainy weather. But neither coin is much good to determine actual depth that is much deeper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.