Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home this morning I noticed the engine light was lit yellow. There were no notices or abnormal flags showing in Vehicle Status in iDrive. I made an appointment with BMW when I got home and took it right over to have it checked out. I was just informed that the cooling flaps/shutters under the front bumper are sticking and have to be replaced. Fortunately, they have the part so they are replacing it right now. Hopefully, this will fix the problem and extinguish the engine light. I'll post back when the job is done.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fixed. I have the car back and the light is out. It was important to get this done quickly as we are returning home to Canada on Monday. Kudos to BMW of Sarasota for taking the car in right away, diagnosing the problem, having the part in stock and doing the repair all within a few hours of my reporting the problem.

Excellent job!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Glad it worked out! I happen to be in Sarasota right now from chicago. Such a nice place. Much better than Miami, Boca or Naples.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad it worked out! I happen to be in Sarasota right now from chicago. Such a nice place. Much better than Miami, Boca or Naples.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Mine have been replaced also.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,736 Posts
I know we have shutters built into the grilles, but did not realize there were still shutters (like F10?) under the bumper area. Will have to take a look at mine.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we know that if they aren't working properly, the engine light comes on...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, the engine light should come on if the active shutters are malfunctioning and If it’s warm outside they will most likely open once the engine is running at normal temperatures and then close when the engine is turned off...

·
silberma1
197 Posts
The Germans are just thrilled to include high tech devices in their cars before their reliability is established. Toyota/Lexus will thoroughly test new technology before putting them in their cars so that their high reliability can be maintained.
If I could I would remove the louvers or just lock them in the open position.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,607 Posts
The Germans are just thrilled to include high tech devices in their cars before their reliability is established. Toyota/Lexus will thoroughly test new technology before putting them in their cars so that their high reliability can be maintained.
If I could I would remove the louvers or just lock them in the open position.
You never have anything good to say about BMW. Why did you buy another one instead of replacing it with a Lexus or a Genesis? Vote with your wallet instead of always being on here like

·
silberma1
197 Posts
You never have anything good to say about BMW. Why did you buy another one instead of replacing it with a Lexus or a Genesis? Vote with your wallet instead of always being on here like

You are totally wrong, I love BMW's and I am on my third one and will continue to buy them despite their complexity. I tested a Lexus and found the driving to be boring. The Genesis however, is a great car a notch below the BMW and I bought one for my wife.
PS speaking of complexity besides the crazy louvers whenever the battery is changed it needs to be registered with the car so that the alternator knows how to charge it. Is it necessary? What other car company does it?
I rest my case.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The top and lower shutters on my 2017 540I stopped working after the first year. Took it in for service because they never closed. Had both replaced. Still open when I picked it up and have never closed since. Mention it to my service adviser every time I'm at the dealership and he always says unless I get a notification it's normal. Don't think anyone has a clue. Like the look better when open so I haven't pushed the issue.

Just a gimmick in my book, but I guess it's better to have them always open than closed.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine are always closed when the car is stopped. I assume they open when the car is running in hot weather but I've never actually observed it because I'm driving when they might be open.

·
Registered
279 Posts
PS speaking of complexity besides the crazy louvers whenever the battery is changed it needs to be registered with the car so that the alternator knows how to charge it. Is it necessary? What other car company does it?
I rest my case.

Porsche does it. And you don't have to register the battery but it could affect the life of the battery as the alternator might charge it longer than needed.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts