Bimmerfest BMW banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was curious about this since my lower shutters always appear open. So I put a camera in front of my 2019 530e to see if the lower shutters do anything when I start the vehicle. The link is to a short video of the shutters apparently doing a self test when the vehicle is started.
https://youtu.be/QK5Qjna-vfU

·
Registered
18 Posts
You have to make the video Public so we can view it. It's Private now.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
521 Posts
I was curious about this since my lower shutters always appear open. So I put a camera in front of my 2019 530e to see if the lower shutters do anything when I start the vehicle. The link is to a short video of the shutters apparently doing a self test when the vehicle is started.
You'll need to either make the video Public or Unlisted (unlisted is good if you want to share it, like here, but don't want it showing up all over YouTube by default).

·
Registered
63 Posts
You'll need to either make the video Public or Unlisted (unlisted is good if you want to share it, like here, but don't want it showing up all over YouTube by default).
Thanks for the tip as I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to YouTube.
Hopefully it works now.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
521 Posts
Thanks for the tip as I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to YouTube.
Hopefully it works now.
Yeah, works perfectly now. Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Service department replaced lower and upper shutters after intermittent CEL. Other than that, the car has been running great for almost 3 years.

Interestingly, M5 does not have active grill shutters. I guess it does not help performance, otherwise they will put it on the M5 too...

·
Registered
323 Posts
delete

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
So the long an the short of my experience was that it wasn't as simple as just replacing the parts under warranty in two days as implied by my service writer. The Dealership went through a long drawn out process which basically consisted of completing a specific troubleshooting task, then submitting the results to BMW and then waiting for BMW to respond with a next step. Perhaps this is the normal process when dealing with a BMW warranty issue? I'm a bit at a loss as to how a dealership could possibly spend that much time in trouble shooting. The only thing I can imagine is that BMW is paying them by the hour. If someone brought me a bill for a week of guesswork I'd refuse to pay and put them in touch with my attorney.

End of day, warranty service complete, car functioning and it looks cool when you start it up and it sort of runs through a sequence. The one thing I'll say is that if it broke open out of warranty I'd probably just leave it broken.

Cheers!
Your guess is correct...BMWNA requires a specific diagnosis process for certain warranty repairs/claims. If not done to BMWNA satisfaction with documentation, then no reimbursement. I have had this explained to me by my BMW service adviser before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
M-Sport Lower Driver and Passenger side shutters question

Hey fellas, does anyone know if lower shutters (passenger side, middle, and driver side) are supposed to open and close in sync? My passenger side and middle stay open with car off, but driver side is closed. Similar to Crmgr's post above, I cannot verify its behavior when car is being driven. CEL came on recently with PO5AF, and took it to service center. My expectation was that they would replace the shutters based on posts, but the invoice doesn't state they did. Instead, looks like they ran some tests and verified top and bottom opened and closed properly. Car was returned to me with lower passenger side and middle open, but driver side still closed.

Does anyone know the behavior of the lower passenger side and driver side shutters? CEL is no longer on, but don't want this to be a temporary fix in case they need to behave in sync.

Invoice details / passenger side and drive side shutter pics attached. Sorry for long winded email, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

·
Ziggy.
424 Posts
Hey fellas, does anyone know if lower shutters (passenger side, middle, and driver side) are supposed to open and close in sync? My passenger side and middle stay open with car off, but driver side is closed. Similar to Crmgr's post above, I cannot verify its behavior when car is being driven. CEL came on recently with PO5AF, and took it to service center. My expectation was that they would replace the shutters based on posts, but the invoice doesn't state they did. Instead, looks like they ran some tests and verified top and bottom opened and closed properly. Car was returned to me with lower passenger side and middle open, but driver side still closed.

Does anyone know the behavior of the lower passenger side and driver side shutters? CEL is no longer on, but don't want this to be a temporary fix in case they need to behave in sync.

Invoice details / passenger side and drive side shutter pics attached. Sorry for long winded email, and thanks in advance for any replies.
those arnt your radiator blinds, the radiator blinds are in middle. behind kidney grills and grill right blow kidney grills.

·
Registered
2 Posts
those arnt your radiator blinds, the radiator blinds are in middle. behind kidney grills and grill right blow kidney grills.
Ah okay, thanks for letting me know. Interesting that passenger side doesn't have that area blocked like driver side. I've seen other G30s where both sides are cleared, so wasn't sure.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,605 Posts
Hmm. It's almost like there may be different models of G30. Maybe like 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 8 cylinder, diesel, hybrid, etc.? And it's almost like those different models might have different bits, like oil coolers, which may require airflow to work properly? And that the models that don't have those extra thingys have fixed insert panels to improve aerodynamics?

What are the odds of that?

·
Registered
2021 X5 M50i;, 2018 540ix Past: 2014 A6 3.0T; Audi Q5; 2001 740iL; 1998 740i; 1994 530i 740i; 530i
1,137 Posts
My check engine light went on last week. Had an appointment for some other other work so this issue got rolled into it. Turns out the lower cooling active shutter triggered the fault and yes I was told the warranty on them has been extended to I think 10 years/120k miles.

My car is coded so I am REALLY hoping they do not need to update the software again---it was last done for the shutters back in July 2018 and wiped out my coding so hopefully it's just a part swap out. SA was not sure what is required.

I recently moved so this is a new dealer for me and my trust factor is not quite there yet. Got a lengthy list of possible work needed inclusive of 2 slightly bent wheels.

Any feedback from others who have needed this shutter work done can shed some light on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My check engine light went on last week. Had an appointment for some other other work so this issue got rolled into it. Turns out the lower cooling active shutter triggered the fault and yes I was told the warranty on them has been extended to I think 10 years/120k miles.

My car is coded so I am REALLY hoping they do not need to update the software again---it was last done for the shutters back in July 2018 and wiped out my coding so hopefully it's just a part swap out. SA was not sure what is required.

I recently moved so this is a new dealer for me and my trust factor is not quite there yet. Got a lengthy list of possible work needed inclusive of 2 slightly bent wheels.

Any feedback from others who have needed this shutter work done can shed some light on this would be appreciated.
I had the check engine light (right at 36 months) and it was the active shutters. Yes, they updated software. When I left with updated car, it was quickly apparent that this had done something to un-do the previous fix to the A/C issue. I took it back in for that to be fixed again. On the bright side, the A/C now seems to be working better than ever.

·
Registered
2021 X5 M50i;, 2018 540ix Past: 2014 A6 3.0T; Audi Q5; 2001 740iL; 1998 740i; 1994 530i 740i; 530i
1,137 Posts
I had the check engine light (right at 36 months) and it was the active shutters. Yes, they updated software. When I left with updated car, it was quickly apparent that this had done something to un-do the previous fix to the A/C issue. I took it back in for that to be fixed again. On the bright side, the A/C now seems to be working better than ever.
Thanks for the reply. Given one software update was already done when my CEL went on 2 years ago, I'm hoping it's the only one to date. Asked my SA to avoid doing anything with it unless I don't have a choice. I must have 20-30 features coded on the car and it would be a pain to get them back.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,734 Posts
Haven't been driving my car nearly as much during the Covid [email protected], been driving my wife's car more often. Anyway, you know the various sounds you start hearing when you simply unlock the doors, like a couple motors whirring, etc (I think one is the fuel pump priming)? The other day I opened the door to get my umbrella and the sound was different, kind of deeper sound and a couple of other click sounds. Today I heard similar sounds and started it up to go for a nice highway drive, and lo and behold, the darn CEL was on! Now that I re-read this thread, wondering if it's just the shutters. For any of you with the issue before, do you know if the shutters are set as a "pre-start" initialization before you even start it up?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Haven't been driving my car nearly as much during the Covid [email protected], been driving my wife's car more often. Anyway, you know the various sounds you start hearing when you simply unlock the doors, like a couple motors whirring, etc (I think one is the fuel pump priming)? The other day I opened the door to get my umbrella and the sound was different, kind of deeper sound and a couple of other click sounds. Today I heard similar sounds and started it up to go for a nice highway drive, and lo and behold, the darn CEL was on! Now that I re-read this thread, wondering if it's just the shutters. For any of you with the issue before, do you know if the shutters are set as a "pre-start" initialization before you even start it up?
If you aren't driving your car I highly recommend getting a CTEK charger on it if you can.

I different pitch to an electric motor usually means it's operating condition has changed. This could be the load on the motor or it could be the power feeding the motor as in a low voltage situation for instance.

The shutters on my G12 do an initialization dance but I don't think it does it until you start the engine. Perhaps it does it if you just turn on accessory power also. Have someone help you test it while you stand in front of the car and watch.

·
Registered
60 Posts

For BMW warranty service the dealers must follow a prescribed BMW script to address each type of issue. Depending on how that goes BMW may or may not instruct them to update or modify software. As mentioned sometimes new software can fix one issue and break another so they try not to update the major software set unless all else has failed or it's required for a known issue.

You can see it on the notes at the bottom of the invoice that was shared above. They. Are notating the steps they took according to that script. When I had my G12 in for the flaps they actually had to keep the car multiple days because they'd try a step without success, enter the notes into a BMW system and have to wait for someone at BMW to review them and give them direction for next steps.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts