BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
I would highly recommend you use the search function first. I just checked, and came up with this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52426&highlight=528+lsd

But really, with less than 200hp, what's the point? Are you actually spinning your rear tires that much starting out or through corners where this would be of benefit? Seems like a waste of money; I mean, won't this cost at least $2k or more? Put it in the "car fund", for that 545 in your future! ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
540 M-Sport said:
I would highly recommend you use the search function first. I just checked, and came up with this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52426&highlight=528+lsd

But really, with less than 200hp, what's the point? Are you actually spinning your rear tires that much starting out or through corners where this would be of benefit? Seems like a waste of money; I mean, won't this cost at least $2k or more? Put it in the "car fund", for that 545 in your future! ;)
Actually 540 M-Sport, I used the search function and got a couple threads with conflicting answers to the same question. The only reason I created a new post for it is b/c I was hoping for a definitive answer.

Well, I was toying with the idea just to maybe make the car have a sportier feel, there is obviously nothing I can really do to create a significant increase in hp (aside from a s/c), so I was considering improving the feel of the car.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,786 Posts
Dont let others bother you. It's your car, be happy! :thumbup: You have some good ideas in mind. An LSD (or an ATB as is a Quaiffe) is a great upgrade for your E39 regardless of power.

I'd try Brett Anderson @ Koala Motorsport. Great guy. Long time Bimmherhead. Good people.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PropellerHead said:
Dont let others bother you. It's your car, be happy! :thumbup: You have some good ideas in mind. An LSD (or an ATB as is a Quaiffe) is a great upgrade for your E39 regardless of power.

I'd try Brett Anderson @ Koala Motorsport. Great guy. Long time Bimmherhead. Good people.
Hey Prop,

What is an ATB? and do you know if it is a direct fit for a 528i?

Thanks,
McMannus

·
10,856 Posts
My 323 has major open-diff problems. No reason why a 528 wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
McMannusBMW said:
Well, I was toying with the idea just to maybe make the car have a sportier feel, there is obviously nothing I can really do to create a significant increase in hp (aside from a s/c), so I was considering improving the feel of the car.
But are you spinning the tires or setting off the traction control? If you are not....then there will likely be no difference in "feel".

·
10,856 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
But are you spinning the tires or setting off the traction control? If you are not....then there will likely be no difference in "feel".
Have you ever driven a car with an LSD? It's VERY noticable even in a 318.

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Have you ever driven a car with an LSD? It's VERY noticable even in a 318.
Yup, each Ferrari I have owned had one...but unless you are driving quite hard, to the point of spining the tires, I would doubt one would even notice the function. I guess my point is unless you are autocrossing or tracking your car, I don't see this coming into play in normal street driving; even when driving quite "spiritedly".

Dinan sells their lsd for a 540 for $6k. Say you can find one from another vendor that will fit on a 528 for half that. Is this a meaningful way to drop $3k on a 528? I would be inclined to spend it on suspension or brake upgrades. Those would be helpful under more driving conditions.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,786 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
Yup, each Ferrari I have owned had one...but unless you are driving quite hard, to the point of spining the tires, I would doubt one would even notice the function. I guess my point is unless you are autocrossing or tracking your car, I don't see this coming into play in normal street driving; even when driving quite "spiritedly".
I notice the difference every time I drive my 540 with a Quaiffe ATB. I will even say that the money spent on the Quaiffe is more ejoyable in everyday driving than the four wheel StopTech BBK.

It's THAT noticeable and THAT good.

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Well there ya go...I will defer to you, as I have to admit that I really am not THAT hard charging a driver...

Dave

·
Registered
69 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
The only phrase that comes to mind is horse-****. I loved the LSD in my '91 525i. It was great in the wet and snow and when I lifted the inside rear wheel when cornering on one particular corner it was the best. Also worked well on gravel when I was playing rally driver. I wish that my 318ti had the optional LSD instead of the moderately worthless ASC. IMHO the best snow car that only has two driving wheels is the e46 M3 the the trick rear diff. Final word from me is that the LSD was noticeable in every day driving, is it worth $3k, probably not. Metric Mechanics also sell LSD's, they have an advert in Bimmer.

Paul

·
10,856 Posts
TeenerPaul said:
The only phrase that comes to mind is horse-****. I loved the LSD in my '91 525i. It was great in the wet and snow and when I lifted the inside rear wheel when cornering on one particular corner it was the best. Also worked well on gravel when I was playing rally driver. I wish that my 318ti had the optional LSD instead of the moderately worthless ASC. IMHO the best snow car that only has two driving wheels is the e46 M3 the the trick rear diff. Final word from me is that the LSD was noticeable in every day driving, is it worth $3k, probably not. Metric Mechanics also sell LSD's, they have an advert in Bimmer.

Paul
No question. My M3 beats the crap out of my 323 in the snow.

·
10,856 Posts
BMW528i_Bilal said:
I don't really about LSD :cry: , can someone please tell what it actaully is, and the benefits from it???? :)
All recent non-M BMWs are ONE WHEEL DRIVE. The open diff sends all power to the wheel with THE LEAST GRIP. An LSD makes sure that at least some power is going to both wheels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.