Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
Does LTW flywheel and software mix?
I have ordered the flywheel from JC Kline, and I know I want the Conforti software when it comes out in September.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't have the two mods together?
TIA,

Eric

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I would think Ron Stygar . . .

would be a great person to ask, but be patient. With Homecoming upon us, it could be a little slow on this forum for near term. I would imagine quite a few of the regulars that are east of the Rocky Mountains will be at HC 2002. :)

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
From what I've read, you don't want to use both a lightweight flywheel and a lightweight crankshaft pulley. This has a detrimental effect on the life of the crankshaft (nose has been reported to snap off).

I think that a ltwt flywheel and upgraded software would compliment each other. It's a mod that I have been considering...

Look down to see my post about the M Rdstr clutch job for pictures of what you can expect to see.

Are you planning on doing the swap yourself? It looks pretty easy, in my opinion. I can send you the file with all the pictures I took of the one I saw apart at the dealers if you like (E-mail me soon, as we're heading off to HC this weekend).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scott and Randy.

Randy: I actually looked up your post, and saw the pictures. Very clear and well taken. I am actually having a mechanic put in the flywheel for me since I am not mechanically inclined, but much appreciated. Have fun at the HC.

Eric

·
Registered
33 Posts
Eric,

You might ask Jim C. if there is need for a 'flywheel' version of his software for your engine. On E36 M3s with lightweight flywheels you tended to get a clattering noise at idle with the flywheel. Jim had a version of software that fixed this by increasing the idle speed a little.

Shawn

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the idea, Shawn. How do I contact Jim C.?

I haven't check the forum for a few days, hence the late thanks. :>)

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts