BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lubricating Door Hinge/Guilde

12000 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  BMWaufKS
My driver's side door occasionally makes a creaking or rubbing sound whenever I open/close the door, as if something (the black plastic rod?) needs lubrication. Anyone else experience this and found the best way/lubricant to eliminate the noise? I don't want to just starting spraying WD-40 in random spots.....
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
WD-40 is good for freeing stuff up and getting rid of water, however it's not the best lubricant. I use a little lithium grease on the door hinges and on the door stop guide (black thing that you're referring too). Once you get some grease in those spots just open and close the door a few times.....she'll quite right down.
Very creaky doors!

Old thread, but my X3 has had very creaky door hinges since buying it in January. My normal cleaning and then applying white lithium grease to the hinges and straps, twice, haven't helped much.

Doing some reading and YouTube-ing, I'm next planning to try cleaning with WD-40, wiping, then spraying with Wurth HHS (on order; about US$25 with shipping). I'll hopefully remember to post here how well or not it works.
hey,
Same with mine when I bought it. WD40 didn't even work a minute. A friend advised me a white kind of grease, that you can have in spray as well. I took that in an automotive parts shop, and it is just perfect.

Should you need I can post a picture of the product.
Thanks. I have common spray white lithium grease, but haven't had good success with it. So a can of paste (same) and an old toothbrush is what I've used for decades. But no luck with either on the X3 for me.
Ok.. I was thinking that you could unmount this guide to proper degrease and grease it, or? That was my plan B at least.

Dunno if this is lithium grease..
http://www.caramba.eu/en/products/high-performance-white-multi-purpose-spray-grease/

"White" grease ... tech sheets don't seems to imply lithium grease (auf Deutsch ist "Lithiumfett"). Glad it works there!
Seems to have worked, so far! I did:

Tightened all four doors' retaining strap-to-body Torx bolts. (Driver's door retaining strap's pivot point on the body is a little worn; others are fine)

Spray-cleaned the hinges and straps with WD-40, and wiped clean.

Sprayed all with the $$ Wurth lube, and worked it in (creaked on first closing, then none).

Also did the hood's and rear-hatch's hinges.

One thing I did differently is something I used long ago on an old car with very worn hinges: jacked up each door slightly to lift the hinges open a bit so that the lube can get in better to the hinges' pins. The X3's hinges all seemed very tight (not sagging from wear), so this likely wasn't necessary. I used a bottle jack on top of a concrete block, and to a 2x4 placed under each door's frame (_not_ the door skin!).
Old thread, but my X3 has had very creaky door hinges since buying it in January. My normal cleaning and then applying white lithium grease to the hinges and straps, twice, haven't helped much.

Doing some reading and YouTube-ing, I'm next planning to try cleaning with WD-40, wiping, then spraying with Wurth HHS (on order; about US$25 with shipping). I'll hopefully remember to post here how well or not it works.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.