BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going in September. Anyone been to Lucerne and have a Hotel Recommendation?

·
Registered
510 Posts
emdreiSMG said:
We are going in September. Anyone been to Lucerne and have a Hotel Recommendation?
Last October, I stayed at:

Hotel Drei Könige ("Hotel Three Kings")
Bruchstrasse 35
6003 Lucerne, Switzerland
Phone: 41 0412 480 480
[email protected]

It's about a 15 minute walk from the main railway station (quite a bit longer when your roll-aboard suitcase is missing one of its two wheels - don't ask how I know this).

I would recommend this hotel, but I couldn't qoute a you a rate, as my stay there was part of a "package deal" that included an eight day Swiss Rail Pass, and a total of seven nights in Lucerne, Zermatt, St Moritz, & Zürich.

If the weather is decent, I would not pass up a boat trip on Lake Lucerne. I took an afternoon trip from Lucerne to Gersau (I seem to remember about halfway up the lake), then changed boats for the return trip to Lucerne. Took about 3 1/2 hours.

If the weather is not so good, try the Swiss National Transportation Museum, also in Lucerne.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I just realized, I don't know what the parking/garage situation is at the Hotel Drei Könige, as all my travel within Europe on this trip was by rail. I wasn't concerned about about parking a car.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
emdreiSMG said:
Stayed at teh Hotel Hofgarten. http://www.hofgarten.ch/html_e/zimmer/index.htm

Conveniently located, a bit pricey (but all of CH is), and a bit quirky. But overall nice. Only place I had to valet park, however, which was uncool. Only redeeming value there is you can trust the Swiss as much as anyone.

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
mbushnell said:
If the weather is decent, I would not pass up a boat trip on Lake Lucerne. I took an afternoon trip from Lucerne to Gersau (I seem to remember about halfway up the lake), then changed boats for the return trip to Lucerne. Took about 3 1/2 hours.

If the weather is not so good, try the Swiss National Transportation Museum, also in Lucerne.
To add to this, the boats rides are really nice and if you have time take one that stops in Burgenstock, take the funicular and hillside elevator (be glad the Swiss built this) to the top for a spectacular view of the entire Lake Lucerne area and a nice lunch. Well worth the excursion.

Much more information HERE

See here:

and:

·
Ik hou van Holland...
5,226 Posts
My grandparents lived in Switserland for 40 years, in Luzern, Meggen (just outside of Luzern) and Wolfenschiessen near to Engelberg. With your new car, take the autobahn to the south and exit Engelberger Thal, that drive up the hill is BEAUTIFUL...:thumbup: Have lunch at on of the fancy hotels and take the Luftzeilbahn up to the top of Engelberg.

You can also stay at the Hotel Baslertor... beautiful hotel for a reasonable price ($60 - $80 per night)... http://www.baslertor.ch/

Or check out www.luzern.ch for more info... And I have to say go see the "Verkehrshaus" which is really great...:thumbup:
If you need anything else pm me...

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
I stayed at the ArabellaSheraton Vitznauerhof in Vitznau. Originally I selected it mainly because I paid for my room with my Starwood points, but the cash price is also fairly reasonable (~$150/night). I liked it so much, I will try to go back in couple years. Nice small quiet town - if that's what you are looking for. Vitznau is located on Lake Lucerne within driving distance from the city of Luzern (pretty nice drive up until you get into the city where it gets pretty congested). Alternatively you can take a boat ride there or elsewhere on the lake. The hotel had its own parking, boat pier, tennis court and even a private beach (although it was too cold to swim when I was there, so I was chilling in their spa instead). You can take a train up to Mountain Rigi too.
Check out the views from my hotel room.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Several choices

A lot depends on (a) budget and (b) transportation. Lucerne is on a very steep hill, with a cable car between the two sections. The lakeside hotels are very nice and VERY expensive. My favorite was the Beau-Rivage Palace ( http://www.beau-rivage-palace.ch/ ) The better hotels in the "central" (uphill side) area also expensive and can be difficult to find. Check on parking!

Since everyone is suggesting sights, I'll add the Olympics Museum to the list.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
b-y said:
A lot depends on (a) budget and (b) transportation. Lucerne is on a very steep hill, with a cable car between the two sections. The lakeside hotels are very nice and VERY expensive. My favorite was the Beau-Rivage Palace ( http://www.beau-rivage-palace.ch/ ) The better hotels in the "central" (uphill side) area also expensive and can be difficult to find. Check on parking!

Got the wrong city, there, my friend. Lucern, not Lausanne.

·
weissbiermeister
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
b-y said:

It looks like a nice hotel and location...except it's in Lausanne, not Lucerne.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may be PM'ing you Mark if nothing floats my boat on the Lucerne.ch page.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"Never mind"...

Got the wrong city, there, my friend. Lucern, not Lausanne.
No wonder I felt lost the whole time. :dunno:

·
Ik hou van Holland...
5,226 Posts
emdreiSMG said:
It looks like a nice hotel and location...except it's in Lausanne, not Lucerne.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may be PM'ing you Mark if nothing floats my boat on the Lucerne.ch page.
Sure let me know...:thumbup: I can always ask my parents because they go there every year... I personally like the out of the way hotels...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hotel Krone was nice and well located close to everything. You can find it at the Best Western website.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The "Rick Steves' Switzerland" guide book had great hotel recommendations. One of them I found (name not with me currently unfortunately) was within my budget and had a great location. In Lucerne, all the hotels had parking sheets you could place in your window and park on the nearby streets until the next morning [it was very safe], or could provide discounts at garages.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts