BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Go Dawgs!
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm going to Munich to pick up my 5er on July 22nd (Huzzah!). Traveling with my wife and two kids. Anyone know whether I can do the 2-for-1 deal for my wife and me, as well as for the kids?

I've called Lufthansa, and gotten two different answers. The first person I spoke to said "yes, you can do multiple 2-for-1s." but when I called to make my reservation, the agent I spoke to that time said "not so fast, yankee. the deal is only ONE 2-for-1/car ordered. Y'all are SOL on the other two." (OK, they didn't get all Texas on me - I made that part up, but the gist is the same).

Anyone have luck getting multiple 2-for-1s, or am I SOL on the kids?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I believe the second responder was correct. You only get one deal per car ordered. They actually have to reference your order to be able to apply the discount.

Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
They told me only 1 as well. However it was only a $20 savings after all was added up (2nd ticket pays taxes and fees) It really isn't a good deal most of the time. (depending on time of year, different fares that are out there etc...)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Hey all,

I'm going to Munich to pick up my 5er on July 22nd (Huzzah!). Traveling with my wife and two kids. Anyone know whether I can do the 2-for-1 deal for my wife and me, as well as for the kids?

I've called Lufthansa, and gotten two different answers. The first person I spoke to said "yes, you can do multiple 2-for-1s." but when I called to make my reservation, the agent I spoke to that time said "not so fast, yankee. the deal is only ONE 2-for-1/car ordered. Y'all are SOL on the other two." (OK, they didn't get all Texas on me - I made that part up, but the gist is the same).

Because you are going during peak travel season the Luftansa 2 for 1 may be the best deal available. As for the other two tickets maybe you or your wife would qualify for one of the Platinum Credit Cards such as offered by Bank of America in conjunciton with one of the Airline miles programs (I know Alaska Airlines has one). Coming with the Platinum Card is an online "voucher" which allows for two for one travel. That way you and one of the kids could travel on the Luftansa deal and your spouse and the other kid could travel on the Platinum Card 2 for 1 deal. Luftansa, United, Northwest are all carriers with service to Europe. Just google Platinum Card and two for one and whatever airline's card you would like and see what is out there.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
2 for 1 per vehicle is correct.

If you need a different VIN# just let me know... I'll give you mine and you can use it. LH won't check so i wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey all,

My suggestion is to forget the Lufthansa deal. In any case you won't get it for 4 people.

Try any of the online services - Priceline is the best I found. The cheapest right now is by KLM or Air France. I got mine thru travel agent - who gave me the best rate.

The other suggestion of the buy one get one from an Airline Visa/Mst Crd. is also the same thing. I have a British Airways Chase and American Airline Visa, and have yet to get their buy one get one free deal. All I gather up is miles. BA chase has the buy 1 get 1 plus you earn miles for $ spent in stores etc.

BTW - looking at the summer, high-season fares, I think the best ED deal maybe in late Spring or in Oct/Nov when airfares are the lowest. The fares for 4 people may actually be off as much as $1200 or so. Probably need to factor that into the cost of the car.

Good luck though

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
My suggestion is to forget the Lufthansa deal. In any case you won't get it for 4 people.

Try any of the online services - Priceline is the best I found. The cheapest right now is by KLM or Air France. I got mine thru travel agent - who gave me the best rate.

BTW - looking at the summer, high-season fares, I think the best ED deal maybe in late Spring or in Oct/Nov when airfares are the lowest. The fares for 4 people may actually be off as much as $1200 or so. Probably need to factor that into the cost of the car.

Good luck though
You should not make a blanket statement like that... some people will take it as fact.

In many instances the 2 for 1 is not the cheapest, in the off peak times of the year you may find better fares. Priceline is not a guarantee and you may have layovers, so really is not comparable. That said, during peak travel (summer) the 2 for 1 is often the best deal and priceline will often not even have seats. It is not advisable to only rely on something that is not always a given. For example, Priceline does not have flights or hotels for my ED time period so if I just relied on that I would be out of luck!

Also classes of seats do matter and they are not all the same. LH has the best transatlantic service in coach, (Singapore is better but you must transfer in Frankfurt no direct to Munich) and this has been discussed here many times.

What the OP should do is reserve seats with the 2 for 1 (they will not do 4:2) and check around to see if there are better deals. They will not charge you without your vin. If you find something better, go ahead and cancel if not you are all set.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
They told me only 1 as well. However it was only a $20 savings after all was added up (2nd ticket pays taxes and fees) It really isn't a good deal most of the time. (depending on time of year, different fares that are out there etc...)
During summer it's a pretty darn good deal. Also, depends on where you fly from. It's was the only such deal flying from West coast (SFO) non-stop to MUC last summer... If you ED off season and don't mind 1 - 2 layovers, there are better "deals".

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You should not make a blanket statement like that... some people will take it as fact.
+1

There is no point in making such blanket statements, as people fly from different points in US and some don't mind layovers and some can't stand them, etc.

For 4 people it might be good to shop around. If price is the only point, OP might want to think about splitting the party into two smaller onces, etc.

Good luck! :bigpimp:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Try www.kayak.com. It does a great job of searching all of the internet sites. You might also consider flying out of Vancouver as well. Good luck and don't wait too long to find your flight. Prices are not going down, oil just went over $120 a barrel, and July is high season for European travel.

·
Registered
753 Posts
LH 2 for one will also allow open jaw booking. So you could fly SEA/FRA/MUC on the way over beating the cost of a train FRA/MUC as there are no direct SEA/MUC flights. Then on the return drop the car off at FRA avoiding a backtrack to Munich.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The LH 2 for 1 was a few hundred cheaper for our early June trip vs all other options so it is good to shop around. Eventhough the LH deal allows for open jaw it may not work well for all 4 travellers. We have 4 travellers as well and found that the fare on the regular ticketed pax was ridiculously high so we will route back to munich.

·
Registered
149 Posts

In many instances the 2 for 1 is not the cheapest, in the off peak times of the year you may find better fares. Priceline is not a guarantee and you may have layovers, so really is not comparable. That said, during peak travel (summer) the 2 for 1 is often the best deal and priceline will often not even have seats. It is not advisable to only rely on something that is not always a given. For example, Priceline does not have flights or hotels for my ED time period so if I just relied on that I would be out of luck!

Also classes of seats do matter and they are not all the same. LH has the best transatlantic service in coach, (Singapore is better but you must transfer in Frankfurt no direct to Munich) and this has been discussed here many times.

What the OP should do is reserve seats with the 2 for 1 (they will not do 4:2) and check around to see if there are better deals. They will not charge you without your vin. If you find something better, go ahead and cancel if not you are all set.
cessna,

You are correct. My statement does seem like a sweeping statement. Did not really intend to mislead anyone. I was just stating my experience with many of these deals, be it Lufthansa or British Airways.

And just as someone else had mentioned - travel experiences and airline fares are so varied, that is difficult to use just one or two examples (mine in this case) as a beacons.

·
Registered
772 Posts
With three passengers I was able to get all tickets for a great price through Lufthansa.
Me too. They are very helpful, and the price was very good too. If you are a long term planner and get your tickets as soon as you get your number, I think the price is cheaper. I must admit that I reserved tickets before the recent fuel hikes.

·
Go Dawgs!
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2 for 1 per vehicle is correct.

If you need a different VIN# just let me know... I'll give you mine and you can use it. LH won't check so i wouldn't worry about it.
When I called LH last week, the gal asked me for my order number, which I gave her. I can't remember if she verified whether the order number matched my name in the database or not. I guess the question is, if I (a 40-year old man) call to make a reservation for our two teenage girls, using someone else's VIN or order number, will they:

1) look it up (or be able to look it up) and say "nice try", or;

2) Laugh their heads off

Also, wouldn't they want an order number instead of a VIN?

Last question along these lines: anyone out there have an order number for a delivery date between July 20 and August 1st, who isn't planning to use the LH 2-for-1 offer, and willing to let me use it to make the reservation for the girls?

So many questions!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Personally I think you are crazy to try and pull off using another vin number to get a 2 for 1 on LH. You ordered a beautiful car. Loaded it up with great options. Why take a chance and jeopardize your ED? If you take that chance just be ready to cough up thousands on the day of dept if LH determines that the second vin is not yours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey all,

I had no luck with getting multiple 2-for-1s. I am travelling with my mom, sister, and cousin and I was only able to take advantage of one 2-for-1, but able to reserve the other two tickets for the same flights.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
When I called LH last week, the gal asked me for my order number, which I gave her. I can't remember if she verified whether the order number matched my name in the database or not. I guess the question is, if I (a 40-year old man) call to make a reservation for our two teenage girls, using someone else's VIN or order number, will they:

1) look it up (or be able to look it up) and say "nice try", or;

2) Laugh their heads off

Also, wouldn't they want an order number instead of a VIN?

Last question along these lines: anyone out there have an order number for a delivery date between July 20 and August 1st, who isn't planning to use the LH 2-for-1 offer, and willing to let me use it to make the reservation for the girls?

So many questions!
My thinking is that the tickets using "someone else's Vin/order number" would have to be in someone else's name...not your girls.

·
Premium Member
7,705 Posts
Don't be silly... They don't have the ability to look-up VIN# to its rightful owners. If they did, they would have been able to get the VIN directly by matching your names and wouldn't have to ask you for the #.

You guys are WAY over analyzing this;)

See for the terms and conditions yourself. :)

http://www.lufthansa.com/cdautils/mediapool/media_474723.pdf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts