BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the rates you get when you call the number the dealer gives you to book your Lufthansa tickets any better than those to be found online, at Expedia, etc? We'll be booking our tickets soon, for myself, husband and 2 kids, so need to buy 3 tickets... through Expedia, when I do a SAN to MUC search, for dates in late-June to mid-July, it shows a price of ~ $1,350, when I look at Lufthansa's site itself, it shows even higher! :yikes: Actually, what I'm really wanting to do is an open jaw ticket, San Diego to Munich, and Paris to San Diego. I don't think you can do this type of search with Expedia, but just tried that with Travelocity, actually got somewhat cheaper rates, which would be nice if that turned out to be available. (and foregoing the free ticket doesn't help, the cheapest of the other airlines I can find is ~ $1,100) We placed our order yesterday, and the dealer said it takes a couple of days to "get in the system", and to call tomorrow or Monday. Any advice? Are open jaw tix any problem?

Edie

·
Registered
688 Posts
eimSD said:
Are the rates you get when you call the number the dealer gives you to book your Lufthansa tickets any better than those to be found online, at Expedia, etc? We'll be booking our tickets soon, for myself, husband and 2 kids, so need to buy 3 tickets... through Expedia, when I do a SAN to MUC search, for dates in late-June to mid-July, it shows a price of ~ $1,350, when I look at Lufthansa's site itself, it shows even higher! :yikes: Actually, what I'm really wanting to do is an open jaw ticket, San Diego to Munich, and Paris to San Diego. I don't think you can do this type of search with Expedia, but just tried that with Travelocity, actually got somewhat cheaper rates, which would be nice if that turned out to be available. (and foregoing the free ticket doesn't help, the cheapest of the other airlines I can find is ~ $1,100) We placed our order yesterday, and the dealer said it takes a couple of days to "get in the system", and to call tomorrow or Monday. Any advice? Are open jaw tix any problem?

Edie
I went through the process a few weeks back and I think I have a situation similar to you in some ways, so I will speak up. I am doing ED in June myself with wife and 2 kids, 5 and 2. It seems that one of your kids is less than 2...good luck (for both of us).

While shopping, I always found I could get prices in travelocity and expedia that were probably $200-300 less than what Lufthansa had FOR RESTRICTED AIRFARES, but I ended up a little bit ahead with the Lufthansa two for one deal after adding the prices of the four tickets. Also, you call Lufthansa before you get any confirmation, they give you the price and reserve the fare, and you buy it once you get a VIN number, which is around one month prior when you are already buying the car. I changed my plans twice and initially had open jaws. I first wanted to return from Venice, but I did not want an unknown to drive my car back to Munich. Lufthansa will fly you to a hub in Germany from Paris and then back to the US. I know this because I considered going all the way to Paris in my excitement, but the reality of long drives with small children sat in (are we there yet!). Being our first family trip to Europe, we decided to stay in Germany only for two weeks and not drive more than 2-3 hours per day. I have found a lot of information of things to keep the kids interested, such as fairy tale roads, amusement parks (including Europa Park, the largest amusement park in Europe, and Legoland in Augsburg, close to Munich), tech museums with children's areas and planetariums, petting zoos, castles, and others. The Frommer's "Best Loved Driving Tours series have great capsules on each driving tour of things to do with the kids. They have one for Germany, Austria, France, and Northern Italy. From my research, Germany seems to be a more kids-friendly Not only that, but I will be driving around Germany and flying round trip non-stop each way with my kids, which is a little cheaper and easier on them. I research a lot of hotels and looked for family friendly ones with enough space for all of us. It will be tougher for you since you are going to be flying from the West Coast. It will obviously be much better if you have at least 10 days for your vacation, since with small kids it will take you a couple of days to recover from each long flight.

I would like to hear about your experience with kids. I had earlier started a thread asking advise about doing ED delivery with kids and found a lot of good information, although it was just from a handful of people since there are not that many out there that apparently do ED with their kids. I hope this is helpful for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info -- no, none of my kids are less than 2, they're 17 and 12. Why did you think one was < 2? With the 2 for 1 deal I'd need to purchase 3 tickets for the 4 of us, no?

I'll post any new info I find...

·
Registered
602 Posts
I believe this is covered elsewhere here, but I'll go over it again. The two for one Lufthansa fare books into Q fare category. This is generally not the lowest fare category available on LH (Lufthansa). That's why you are seeing the discrepancy between online bookings and what LH offers through the BMW program. Of course, it's well coordinated because as you observe when you're looking at two airfares you generally end up paying a little less.

However, you give up a few things. The second person on the free ticket does not earn frequent flyer miles. If there is any problem whatsoever with the itinerary you are stuck with each other. There are no substitutions or refunds available. When booking, there has to be Q fare availability on all your desired flights. If not, you are stuck with what they give you. The only codeshares available are on specifically LH coded United flights for the domestic portion, this can restrict your options as well.

My advice to people looking at the 2 for 1 program would be to thoroughly research the alternatives available. And only if the savings are significant enough (in my mind greater than $300) would I consider doing the LH program. It's just my opinion that you really give up too much in flexibility for the meager savings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently booked tickets to MUC and found a better deal online over the Lufthansa program. Booking on my own also gave me more flexibility as it seems going through Lufthansa required me to set my travel dates before ordering my car (which I wasn't prepared to do). Open-jaw was also something I needed to do but I believe the 2-for-1 requires that the flight be round-trip.

In response to the original post about searching for open-jaw flights, Expedia does have this option. Click on the "flights" tab and then choose "Multiple destinations". The multicity option is often buried and difficult to find. I booked my flight via Orbitz.

·
Registered
688 Posts
eimSD said:
Thanks for the info -- no, none of my kids are less than 2, they're 17 and 12. Why did you think one was < 2? With the 2 for 1 deal I'd need to purchase 3 tickets for the 4 of us, no?

I'll post any new info I find...
Duh.....I thought because of the three tickets....anyway, maybe someone else will benefit from my advise. You do only need three. Having young children makes me think of a 17 y/o as old. Good luck!

·
Registered
688 Posts
jl5555 said:
I believe this is covered elsewhere here, but I'll go over it again. The two for one Lufthansa fare books into Q fare category. This is generally not the lowest fare category available on LH (Lufthansa). That's why you are seeing the discrepancy between online bookings and what LH offers through the BMW program. Of course, it's well coordinated because as you observe when you're looking at two airfares you generally end up paying a little less.

However, you give up a few things. The second person on the free ticket does not earn frequent flyer miles. If there is any problem whatsoever with the itinerary you are stuck with each other. There are no substitutions or refunds available. When booking, there has to be Q fare availability on all your desired flights. If not, you are stuck with what they give you. The only codeshares available are on specifically LH coded United flights for the domestic portion, this can restrict your options as well.

My advice to people looking at the 2 for 1 program would be to thoroughly research the alternatives available. And only if the savings are significant enough (in my mind greater than $300) would I consider doing the LH program. It's just my opinion that you really give up too much in flexibility for the meager savings.
The better fares available through Lufthansa or another airline, in my experience, were restricted and non-refundable with penalties for changes. The Lufthansa deal allows you to reserve the space and fare months ahead and buy the ticket about a month prior to your flight, which is when you have to buy your car and have a VIN number. Lufthansa unrestricted fares you will find are more expensive, probably significantly so.

·
Registered
214 Posts
neurom said:
The better fares available through Lufthansa or another airline, in my experience, were restricted and non-refundable with penalties for changes. The Lufthansa deal allows you to reserve the space and fare months ahead and buy the ticket about a month prior to your flight, which is when you have to buy your car and have a VIN number. Lufthansa unrestricted fares you will find are more expensive, probably significantly so.
I made reservations with Lufthansa, but they only held the tickets for two weeks. Haw were you able to get them to hold the tickets for so long? Lufthansa does accomodate open-jaw for a small charge. Orbitz has been a good source for me, and has the open-jaw ability.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Alstoy said:
I made reservations with Lufthansa, but they only held the tickets for two weeks. Haw were you able to get them to hold the tickets for so long? Lufthansa does accomodate open-jaw for a small charge. Orbitz has been a good source for me, and has the open-jaw ability.
I did it through the Lufthansa ED delivery department. I made reservations about three weeks ago. They told me they will hold them until I obtained my VIN #. Did you try this? Back then, I went to the bmwusa website, ED section, and it had a link that took you to a Lufthansa website that had clear instructions telling you to first place your order, then make your reservations with Lufthansa (it had an 800# that was only for the 2 for 1 offer), and then you would pay for the tickets when you obtained you VIN#. I tried following the link today and it is redirecting me to the Lufthansa home page, so maybe something has changed. Make sure you are talking with the Lufthansa BMW ED (or 2 for 1) department.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
eimSD said:

Edie
We did our ED trip through Orbitz in Jan. of this year.The reason being aftr the tax and other charges + transportation to and from JFK from NJ it cost us $100.00 extra to leave from Newark, plus we got to pick the exact flights that we wanted and it was very convienent leaving from Newark. Well worth the extra expense.
vern

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you saying that no matter where you drop it off they drive the car back to Germany and ship it form there? I do not know if I want a stranger driving my ner car either...

·
Registered
688 Posts
drcosborne said:
Are you saying that no matter where you drop it off they drive the car back to Germany and ship it form there? I do not know if I want a stranger driving my ner car either...
My understanding is that the car is driven back if you drop it off in Italy. In any other country, it is transferred in a truck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
neurom said:
I did it through the Lufthansa ED delivery department. I made reservations about three weeks ago. They told me they will hold them until I obtained my VIN #. Did you try this? Back then, I went to the bmwusa website, ED section, and it had a link that took you to a Lufthansa website that had clear instructions telling you to first place your order, then make your reservations with Lufthansa (it had an 800# that was only for the 2 for 1 offer), and then you would pay for the tickets when you obtained you VIN#. I tried following the link today and it is redirecting me to the Lufthansa home page, so maybe something has changed. Make sure you are talking with the Lufthansa BMW ED (or 2 for 1) department.
Thanks. I did the same thing, and got a different response than you. I ended up purchasing tickets through AA for about $740 from Dallas to Munich, returning from Paris.

·
2,457 Posts
I am travelling with my wife and two kids (10 and 13) on May 23rd. I'm doing an open jaw trip from BOS > MUC and MAD (Mardrid) > BOS. It would have cost me a ton more to use the ED fly one for free program. I booked thru Orbitz for $574/ea. Much better than the $1100/ea that Lufthansa offered.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LarryN said:
I am travelling with my wife and two kids (10 and 13) on May 23rd. I'm doing an open jaw trip from BOS > MUC and MAD (Mardrid) > BOS. It would have cost me a ton more to use the ED fly one for free program. I booked thru Orbitz for $574/ea. Much better than the $1100/ea that Lufthansa offered.
I wish we could fly in May, our kids' school year doesn't end until 6/17. We wound up going with the Lufthansa deal although it was totally a push, the total price wound up being ~ 4,200 for the 4 of us, and the cheapest price I found from trying all the search engines I know (expedia, travelocity, orbitz, AA) was a bit over 1,050, most being 1,200 and up. :bawling: With the 2 for 1, the two tix for myself & husband turned out to be 1,600 in total for those two tix, ~ 1,400 for the one, and the tax of 183 still needing to be paid on the "free" ticket. Then the 2 tix needed for the kids were 1,300 each from LH... I know, it's what's to be expected for summertime rates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts