BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a first time BMW owner I didn't realize we had lug bolts not lug nuts. Doesn't this make changing a flat rather difficult. I'm not the strongest guy in the world, and the thought of having to hold the wheel in one hand and trying to line up the bolt with the other doesn't sound too easy. Luckily I haven't had to try it yet. Any tricks?

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
Fear not -- on a BMW, there is a flange on the hub about 3" in diameter that the wheel fits over, which holds it in place in a manner similar to the way wheel bolt do on other cars. You won't be having to support the weight of the wheel if you ever have to change it.

Dave

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Wheel hanger

I got a flat on the inter state a few months ago,didn't have my cell phone with me so I couldn't call for help.I changed the tire myself.IMHO it was a little tricky to get the line up and hold the tire in position.I think the wheel hanger would be worth while buying.
good luck
vern

·
Registered
319 Posts
I take my wheels off myself to clean them and I don't have a problem. I'm not super strong either. The only problem I encounter is how to tighten the bolts with the wheel in the air if I don't have anyone to depress the brake for me.:dunno:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Wheels in air

First off you don't want anybody getting into your car if your up on a jack for fear it will fall of the jack.being on jack stands thats something different .
Second snug your up your bolts,lower your car till the tire is on the ground and then toque the bolts up to I believe 88 ft. lbs.
good luck
vern

·
Registered
106 Posts
the stock wheels are hubcentric, so all you have to do is fit the center of the wheel up to the hub, and it will kind of hang there. you just have to lightly push the wheel against the hub so that is is flat against it (no need to support the weight of the wheel b/c the hub is doing that). and then you just rotate it on the hub until your holes line up, then screw in the lug bolts. tighten the one on the bottom first (b/c the bottom portion of the wheel tends to want to come out), then go around in a star pattern, hand tighten them. then tighten them as best you while still in the air. lower the car, then torque them to 100nm.

i actually find that cars with lug nuts and bolts that are on the hub (like on my MR2) are harder to put the wheels on, b/c you need to line up the hole to the bolt as you are lifting the wheel and trying to put it on. whereas with a lug bolt design, you put the wheel up to the hub and then worry about lining up the holes later. so i actually find it EASIER on my BMW (well, except the fact that 17" rims/tires are heavier than the 14"s on my MR2).

·
Awesome power!
4,851 Posts
atyclb said:

that's been revised to 88
Damn, Alan, you'd better get out there and tighten 'em up.

·
Banned
9,901 Posts
325ci.com said:
...tighten the one on the bottom first (b/c the bottom portion of the wheel tends to want to come out), then go around in a star pattern, hand tighten them. then tighten them as best you while still in the air. lower the car, then torque them to 100nm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Wheel hanger

After reading the write up on the wheel hanger I don't know why bmw doesn't include one in the tool kit.I'm ordering mine today
vern

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Re: Wheel hanger

vern said:
After reading the write up on the wheel hanger I don't know why bmw doesn't include one in the tool kit.I'm ordering mine today
vern
The Strong Strut people also sell something similar that I believe is only $20 per pair shipped anywhere in US. Look under other products for Wheel pins. :)

http://www.strong-strut.com/

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Re: Wheel hanger

vern said:
vern
I don't know what the wheel hanger is, but they used to include something to align the wheel with the lug bolt holes in the tool kit. The 328s had them (at least several at my last driving school did - we compared tool kits when everyone who had one thought everyone who claimed not to have one was nuts and vice versa), but my 2001 330 didn't.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Re: Re: Wheel hanger

rwg said:

I don't know what the wheel hanger is, but they used to include something to align the wheel with the lug bolt holes in the tool kit. The 328s had them (at least several at my last driving school did - we compared tool kits when everyone who had one thought everyone who claimed not to have one was nuts and vice versa), but my 2001 330 didn't.
I had one of those in my 93 325is . . .I wonder why BMW doesn't include them anymore

·
Registered
291 Posts
OEM part #

I thought someone else would get around to posting this, but since no one has:

OEM Wheel Hanging Tool (fits in empty tool kit space)

71 11 1 093 774

$4.45

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.