BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this website. Just bought my first BMW nicknamed "The Green Machine" 1998 540i Auto.

I bought it used and only got one "old style" LX8 FZV remote key.

Now my question is this...stay with me now....

There are oodles and oodles of EBAY LX8 FZV keys available. Some of them uncut BUT NONE WITH A "EWS" CHIP FROM BMW because that chip comes ONLY from BMW.

Stay with me now...

In all honesty I should't even be driving a BMW on my pay grade. But I am driving a BMW so I need to save every penny in case some major repair comes up. Now that fact that I would buy a BMW on a low pay grade or "ball on a budget" may say something about me. It may say that I live beyond my means or know how to find "a deal". or maybe I want "The Ultimate Driving Experience on the cheap".

That being said, here is my logic before I ask my question:

1. I buy one of the UNCUT LX8 FZV keys off ebay (NO EWS CHIP) for $20. .
2. Since a brand new LX8 FZV key from dealer costs over 2 hundo, I spring for the $80 poor man's key (with EWS).
3. I've got the uncut LX8 FZV remote key, i've got a $80 dealer key with EWS...

Now my question:

Can I pop out the EWS from whatever cheap dealer key I may buy and pop it in my LX8 FZW I bought from ebay and be the proud new owner of a fully functioning LX8 FZW with net savings of 100?

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Dinggg....what now!
1,074 Posts
what matters is the chip.
if the chip is placed close to the EWS ring (where you shove your key in to start the car) then it don't matter what key you use.
the car will start.

if you have only 1 key, i would remove the chip,place it close to the ews ring (like somewhere inside the steering column plastic console),get a cheap uncut key or two from ebay and have it cut.but of crs the cheap uncut ebay key don't come with the remote locking pcb hence you won't have that function but if you do lose the original key you will still be able to start and drive the car.just no central locking nor alarm.

sheesh....who'd want to steal an old junk anyways....

·
Registered
17 Posts
But I am driving a BMW so I need to save every penny in case some major repair comes up. Now that fact that I would buy a BMW on a low pay grade or "ball on a budget" may say something about me. It may say that I live beyond my means or know how to find "a deal". or maybe I want "The Ultimate Driving Experience on the cheap".
GreenMachine, just thought I'd say: I'm pretty much you. My pay grade supports me getting probably a different, newer car but I've always wanted a BMW and finally got one.

So while I'm perhaps not as cheap through necessity, I definitely am out of habit and anticipation of huge mystery mechanic bill everyone keeps saying that I'm going to get. I'm doing a ton of maintenance on mine this weekend (first time ever messing with a car, really) to try and save a little bit of money.

Don't be ashamed of it brother! Sometimes the smartest decision (a new honda... ugh) isn't always the right one. Best of luck with your key search, I'm really agonizing over whether or not to replace mine as well.

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
It's not clear why you need a 2nd remote key. You definitely need a 2nd spare/emergency key...but that doesn't require it be the most expensive (remote) key. As it appears you've already done a bit of research...there are other non remote keys that fit within your budget...and if the key is to be a spare/emergency key that will be sitting in a drawer until needed...why go through all the trouble to to get a remote ebay key to work...while destroying a perfectly good non-remote spare...just to have the finished product sitting in a drawer unused.

The keys below make excellent spare/emergency keys...they can open everything on the car:
  1. illuminated spare
  2. spare w/metal key blade
  3. spare/wallet w/plastic key blade
  4. (not recommended) valet/service key w/gray head (this key will not open the trunk or glove box...and the trunk tends to be the most common place to lock the key inside the car, thus if your only other key is the valet key...you're just as screwed as if you didn't have a spare key)

Using the BMW part nbrs below...contact your local BMW dealership, and along with your car's VIN, get a price quote for each of the keys...you may be able to get a working key for half the price you wrote about...plus get a back up key that works without having to shop around for a local keysmith that can laser cut a blank remote eBay spare (which you didn't mention or add into the cost in your original scenario). :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeeep

Thanks for the feedback Quicksilver...I think I'll take your advice and just leave a spare in the house.

And Ryan, After driving a 98 BMW (with the giddiness of of a 30 yr old virgin earning his stripes) I must say it's going to be difficult to go back to a Honda or Toyota. My pops tried to sell me on going with a certified Honda or Lexus and stubborn lad I am I went with green machine....I have reveled in the joy of driving this vehicle only for a few weeks now but I'm sold...I'm not sure I can ever go back. This belief was further ingrained in me when i had the opportunity to drive a 2012 Aplina B7. I have no idea what Alpina does and didn't know a B7 existed...but damnnnnnnnnn.

Hopefully after I "raise my decimals" I'll be able to cop my "dream machine"...an M5 or if I'm really able to ball a 7 series of my choice year. Not sure what year yet but the E39 is beautiful...My thoughts wander to things like #Dinan, #M5, #400HPclub incessantly. Frankly it's beginning to become a problem because the other night I was engaging in lustful, satisfying activities with as fine a female specimen as one could hope for and the obsession started....6 Speed manual mmmm.

Thanks for the heartwarming welcome folks. Until next time..

·
Registered
12,563 Posts
Well...at least you know that you have an "addiction"...that's the best way to deal with it...know that you have it.

And to live with it means...trying to stay within a budget. Try not to spend money on the things you can do or live without, and try to stay on top of the things that can take you out of the game completely. There will be time when funds may be available for mods & upgrades...or that thing you just-gotta-have.

Also take the time to search & study & learn to do yourself...it may be the thing that keeps you in the game, as well. Spending money to have others do the work (labor)...can rack up the cost of ownership...especially when purchasing the part and DIY'ing it cuts the cost of the repair in half (or more). There's a decade & more of DIYs that cover just about anything/everything that can go wrong...and there are lots of online vendors that are forum friendly that can save you money when buying parts.

Hang in there...and welcome to the madness. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts