BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see everyone talking about the m audio subs...how do you install these and what kind of sound upgrade do they bring???

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
You bolt them in, after drilling holes since you have an pre-2001 E39. They bring about double the bass as the factory Nokia box. It only works with the DSP sound system, look for a DSP button on your radio.

·
2,741 Posts
Demetrios540i said:
yea i have dsp...so i just get these subs and they use the same connector plugs as the little nokia ones?
You'll have to cut up the Nokia box harness and splice the sub harness wires into that, it's rather simple to be honest. I am not sure if anyone has had luck finding the adapter harness for these to wire up.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
You bolt them in, after drilling holes since you have an pre-2001 E39. They bring about double the bass as the factory Nokia box. It only works with the DSP sound system, look for a DSP button on your radio.
what the deuce?!?!? only with DSP?!?!? what if i don't have DSP??? can't i just power it with an external amp?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I really don't get why people get so hot and bothered about the M audio subs. They are not terribly good and they aren't inexpensive.

Twice the quality can be had for half the price. Yes, an external amp is needed making the cost about the same.

It is nice to have one brand and something close to bolt-on, but it isn't like BMW makes them.

To answer the above question ... yes, you can power them with an external amp.

Bill

·
2,741 Posts
BillP said:
I really don't get why people get so hot and bothered about the M audio subs. They are not terribly good and they aren't inexpensive.

Twice the quality can be had for half the price. Yes, an external amp is needed making the cost about the same.

It is nice to have one brand and something close to bolt-on, but it isn't like BMW makes them.

To answer the above question ... yes, you can power them with an external amp.

Bill
they look good, they sound pretty good, and if you get them for cheap like some of us do, they're SO worth it. i think folding seats makes them sound a lot better ;)

·
Premium Member
7,817 Posts
Demetrios540i said:
i see everyone talking about the m audio subs...how do you install these and what kind of sound upgrade do they bring???
Go to www.bmwtips.com search there and you will find the relevant posts on installation. You can get them for about $200 each if you shop around with various BMW dealers that handle mail order. You will need to do some wire splicing, but the post on BMWTIPS gives you the wiring diagrams, so it is straight forward. You have to do a LOT of disassembly of the rear interior of the car, to install them...plan on about 3.5 hours to do a slow, careful job. I have done it twice now, as I blew out my first set after 2.5 years and a little too much of that damn 50 Cent! ;) Only took about 2 hours the second time through.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
they look good, they sound pretty good, and if you get them for cheap like some of us do, they're SO worth it. i think folding seats makes them sound a lot better ;)
I won't argue with your stance on sound as that is totally subjective, but very good subs cost ~$100 (check out the highly rated Image Dynamics IDQ10, for example). I doubt if you are getting the BMW subs for that.

Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would have to argree with bill, why bother....I've neverr heard a bmw stock system that sounds even close to a inexpensive aftermarket system...:thumbdwn:

·
2,741 Posts
BillP said:
I won't argue with your stance on sound as that is totally subjective, but very good subs cost ~$100 (check out the highly rated Image Dynamics IDQ10, for example). I doubt if you are getting the BMW subs for that.

Bill
I agree, i could have spent ~$250 and gotten a setup that sounds just as good if not better than what I have. However, tapping into the DSP system isn't fun, and i dont want to lose the trunk space considering i have the fold-downs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wait.. you can fold down the seats!? I would love to hear my subs with the seats folded down. How did you get the seats to fold down? My apologies for being off topic.. But i agree with Bill on this one.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
525i guy said:
Wait.. you can fold down the seats!? I would love to hear my subs with the seats folded down. How did you get the seats to fold down? My apologies for being off topic.. But i agree with Bill on this one.
I am pretty sure you are the same person that posted the "you can fold down the seats?" question the other day. If you are going to post a question, do us all a favor and look for the response before reposting.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7,817 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
I agree, AND they nicely integrate into the rear deck (when seen from the trunk), AND have little magnets built in, to retain the ski bag, pass through door in the "open" position, when in use. Cool.

·
2,741 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
I agree, AND they nicely integrate into the rear deck (when seen from the trunk), AND have little magnets built in, to retain the ski bag, pass through door in the "open" position, when in use. Cool.
I did not know this! Cool, i have yet to use the ski bag at all, but neat regardless.

·
Premium Member
7,817 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
I did not know this! Cool, i have yet to use the ski bag at all, but neat regardless.
I have yet to use the pass through for skis, but have used it for longish items purchased at Home Depot, and such....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts