BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I'm having second thoughts about the M3 for a few reasons. Some of which were expressed in HACKs thread about getting an M. Additionally one of our instructors taught a buy in an M3 a week ago and said it is so fast that they couldn't use all of it on the track. There is a lot coming out now about the engines that worries me, it's no all stupid people driving them crazy.

I'm really loving my 325 since I got the steering retrofit. I can bang through the gears as much as I want without much worry.

I'm thinking some sways, shocks, springs and maybe a CAI and exhaust and I'd be in heaven.

Then I could take the extra $20Gs and buy a Mini for an everyday driver and to play with.

I'm not going to cancel my order just yet but ......

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Tough choice

An M3 is a lot of car and unless you are a very good driver, you will never be able to fully exploit it at the track. If you seriously think that you will be happy with a modified 325, don't get the M3 and save your money. The limits on an M3 are so high at the track that the fun of going for it may be worth 20K :dunno:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not my ability so much I'm worried about. The instructor told me that unless you are on a big high speed track you never get it out of 3rd gear.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
ezsce46 said:
Why not an M Coupe? Its faster, lighter, & cheaper. better suited for track, assuming you don't need a backseat.
The E46 M3 is much more controlable and easier to drive fast. Not to mention practicality. The M coupe is slightly faster, but the M3 has much better high speed accleration and a very high top speed...

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:
It's not my ability so much I'm worried about. The instructor told me that unless you are on a big high speed track you never get it out of 3rd gear.
3rd ends at what, 110 or so?

I see this as beneficial, less shifting means less chance of error :) Plus, the M3 is geared to have a very high top speed, near 180+

There aren't many tracks were 120 is attained by street cars. Although the M3 could hit 180 on the Nurburgring :D

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nate328Ci said:

The E46 M3 is much more controlable and easier to drive fast. Not to mention practicality. The M coupe is slightly faster, but the M3 has much better high speed accleration and a very high top speed...
yup! Actually I almost traded my 325 for a Coupe last year

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Looks like a tough choice Haus. If the track issue is a major concern I buy into your Mini and modified 325 idea:thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
in_d_haus said:

yup! Actually I almost traded my 325 for a Coupe last year
I could NEVER drive an M Coupe on a track. My head was hitting the roof without a helmet :eek: I have to lean slightly right in my car when I wear a helmet. I also do not like the driving position in the M Coupe :eek:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
nate328Ci said:

3rd ends at what, 110 or so?

I see this as beneficial, less shifting means less chance of error :) Plus, the M3 is geared to have a very high top speed, near 180+

There aren't many tracks were 120 is attained by street cars. Although the M3 could hit 180 on the Nurburgring :D
Third redlines at 105

·
Registered
370 Posts
in_d_haus said:
100% correct, but that's true for most tracks. But that's what empty highways are for??:D . I would say really start to get more out of your 325, ie. turn DSC completely off and see how much faster you can go. Mastering the power in a 325 can make the transition smoother.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ezsce46 said:

100% correct, but that's true for most tracks. But that's what empty highways are for??:D . I would say really start to get more out of your 325, ie. turn DSC completely off and see how much faster you can go. Mastering the power in a 325 can make the transition smoother.
I have no problem with my 325 and have been driving without DCS and ASC-T for quite awhile.
I can nearly keep up with Porsches and M3s on the track currently in my 325. Our local tracks are generally shorter and twisty.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
in_d_haus said:

I have no problem with my 325 and have been driving without DCS and ASC-T for quite awhile.
I can nearly keep up with Porsches and M3s on the track currently in my 325. Our local tracks are generally shorter and twisty.
Be careful, you're starting to sound like you want to talk yourself out of the M3:dunno:

As I reread this thread I keep thinking to myself that since you obviously can pull this deal off............GO FOR IT:thumb:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PM 325xiT said:

Be careful, you're starting to sound like you want to talk yourself out of the M3:dunno:

As I reread this thread I keep thinking to myself that since you obviously can pull this deal off............GO FOR IT:thumb:
Yes, I can afford the car, it's has nothing to do with the cash. An M has always been the car I've wanted to aspire to. That's why I'm not going to cancel the order just yet :D It's probably a phase...

·
Registered
370 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Had similar experience with E46 M3's on East loop of the Buttomwillow raceway park (same place where R&T did their June issue of Handling test). The E46 M3 couldn't close the gap on my 330ci, he ended up in the dirt coming off the hairpin. The power of the M3 can be a curse sometimes. Porsches however are a different story, escpecially the Boxsters.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Yes, I can afford the car, it's has nothing to do with the cash. An M has always been the car I've wanted to aspire to. That's why I'm not going to cancel the order just yet :D It's probably a phase...
Oh I knew it had nothing to do with $$

Satisfy your desire .... M M M M M M :bigpimp:

OK that phase is over :p :D :thumb:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
in_d_haus said:

Sorry I put doubt in your plans on purchasing an M3. Personally for me I KNOW I'm not there yet in terms of driver's skill and that much power is just going to get me in trouble. However, if you're consistently keeping up with ///Ms and Porsches in your 325Ci it sounds like it's the car's power that's limiting your further development on the track...Perhaps it IS time for you go get the E46 M3 and start blowing by those ///Ms and Porsches.

The E46 M3 is a good track car...The potentials are there in the hands of the right driver.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The HACK said:

Sorry I put doubt in your plans on purchasing an M3. Personally for me I KNOW I'm not there yet in terms of driver's skill and that much power is just going to get me in trouble. However, if you're consistently keeping up with ///Ms and Porsches in your 325Ci it sounds like it's the car's power that's limiting your further development on the track...Perhaps it IS time for you go get the E46 M3 and start blowing by those ///Ms and Porsches.

The E46 M3 is a good track car...The potentials are there in the hands of the right driver.
Thanks HACK,
I still have some room to improve in my 325, I believe we can always improve, but to get much better I'd ned to start modding my car (remember it's stock currently)

I'm not saying I can be perfect in the M, I actually plan on starting from scratch with driver schools when I get it since it is a radically different car from the 325. I don't think I'd ever become an Auberlin in it but I know I can push the car once I'm familiar with the beast.

Though a Mini on the track could be cool! they already have coilovers available for it!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Haus,

I know what you're going through...

When I lived in NY, I used to drive to Newport, RI fairly often. I used to take the less powerful cars (A4 or 323Ci) on such trips. Basically because my driving privileges would be long gone if I'd taken the Vette... :angel: ;) Anyway, after a few hours of fun, I used to think: who the heck needs 345-350HP? I mean, as you and others stated, you'll rarely use that much power, even on the track. Let alone on the streets...

You get to that kind of car though... It's all about feel... Cars like the E46 M3, Vette, etc, are such a BLAST to drive... :D

I guess what I'm trying to say is: honestly, I don't think anybody needs so much power. But, once you get it, you won't regret you did... :thumb: So, I'd say GO FOR IT AND STOP HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS! :D Trust me... ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts