BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - first post, but have been lurking here for awhile reading up on people's M Coupe experiences -

I currently drive a MB CLK55, and while I really enjoy the massive torque, acceleration and decent handling, it really is not a very 'engaging' car (with its 5spd automatic and 4000 lb curb weight). The Road and Track test suggests that the M Coupe is comparable to my CLK in accel 0 - 60, 0 - 100 and quarter mile, but the M Coupe is MUCH faster through the slalom and in my limited experence in an M Convertible, the steering feel in the M is miles better than my CLK....

I've driven the M convertible, but there are NO coupes currently available in my market - aside from chassis rigidity, and the GORGEOUS coupe body, is the convertible DRIVING experience that different from the coupe?

Also, on pricing the Coupe vs Converible, I know MSRP is higher on Convertible, but what kind of deal have you guys gotten on your M Convertibles? It seems that none of the local dealers have an M Coupe, but there are ALOT of M Convertibles in dealer inventory- the dealer down the street has FIVE sitting on his lot -

Lance

·
Crazy Coupe Lady
985 Posts
archangael said:
Hello All - first post, but have been lurking here for awhile reading up on people's M Coupe experiences -

I currently drive a MB CLK55, and while I really enjoy the massive torque, acceleration and decent handling, it really is not a very 'engaging' car (with its 5spd automatic and 4000 lb curb weight). The Road and Track test suggests that the M Coupe is comparable to my CLK in accel 0 - 60, 0 - 100 and quarter mile, but the M Coupe is MUCH faster through the slalom and in my limited experence in an M Convertible, the steering feel in the M is miles better than my CLK....

I've driven the M convertible, but there are NO coupes currently available in my market - aside from chassis rigidity, and the GORGEOUS coupe body, is the convertible DRIVING experience that different from the coupe?

Also, on pricing the Coupe vs Converible, I know MSRP is higher on Convertible, but what kind of deal have you guys gotten on your M Convertibles? It seems that none of the local dealers have an M Coupe, but there are ALOT of M Convertibles in dealer inventory- the dealer down the street has FIVE sitting on his lot -

Lance
by default coupes are more rigid (better handling) than their roadster counterparts. However, the Z4's handling is much better than that of the Z3's. It really comes down to what you want. If you can give up the looks and rigidity of the coupe in order to put the top down on nice days, then get the roadster. If you are only after the sports car aspect, then the coupe is the way to go. It's a trade off and only you can decide which is more important.

FWIW, I sold my roadster for a coupe (both Z3s) and haven't looked back. I do miss having a rag top once a year or so, but I adore my coupe.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i'd love to have an M Coupe with a magic button that makes the top disappear :p

but in all cases i'll be getting the coupe coz i'm looking for a hardcore sports car that would stay 5 years without losing its appeal.. i guess so at least :eeps:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The other thing to think about - if you get a drophead, you limit what groups you can run with at track days. Some have different rules for rollover protection, some don't allow rag tops at all - like BMW CCA.

If you plan on doing DEs, you should look into this - or at least call the clubs that run at a track near you and talk to them.

If you don't plan on doing any DEs - why the hell not? They're a blast!! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts