anyone else has experienced this problem

My local dealer has said he's trying to get BMW GB to pay for it

Please help us I maybe looking at a big bill for repairs

Thanks in advance

·
Inquiring mind
879 Posts
Send it to Toledo

or contact RF for his kit. I'm sure the UK franchise is available...
look through the many threads on the rear frame assembly issues...
Randy has great pictures of before after & during butt surgery

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
RobbieV said:
New Poster Hi everyone

I have a Bmw M roadster 1999 euro spec and have a major problem with it

The sub frame holding the rear axel has ripped away from the chassis and the
axel has dropped onto the exhursts.

I would like to no if there are any recalls from Bmw for this problem or if
anyone else has experienced this problem

My local dealer has said he's trying to get BMW GB to pay for it

Please help us I maybe looking at a big bill for repairs

Thanks in advance
Hi RobbieV,

Bummer that your car had to get that way, but they do. Considering that you have a monster 321 bhp engine, I'm surprised it took this long to break!

I do offer a structural steel package that will upgrade the differential mount, but there are some required changes you'd need to make on your car to utilize it. The differential cover has to be changed out for an E-36 M3 type (OEM or aftermarket) that incorporates two (2) mounting ears. The stock exhaust (US version anyway) does not clear the mounts, but virtually all aftermarket ones do (I can provide you with a list of types known to fit). Other than that, it is a relatively straight forward installation (I've done nearly ten cars myself and now there are a couple of bodyshops on our west coast installing my package).

As Carl said, I have perhaps two-thousand (2000) pictures online that you can look through for reference. www.rfdm.com/gallery pick any album with three (3) initials to see start to finish work. Album "tec" is just getting started, so you won't get much out of it ;)

BMWNA has been known to fix customer's cars here in the US, but I only know of one dealer :angel: that will reinforce the original design. If it's only fixed back to factory condition, you can expect the problem to arise again in so many more years.

Drop me an E-mail if you're interested and I will reply with an FAQ pdf that outlines the work, parts and materials required [email protected]

And thanks Carl!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks guys you guys are ***king brill
i think i'll try to pursure the BMW fix to safe some money but I'm so impressed by the response I'll keep you guys informed

P.S do you know any UK guys you trust for the mods you suguest ?

Thanks again

·
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor
1,687 Posts
RobbieV said:
Thanks guys you guys are ***king brill
Translation to American: brill = brilliant

RobbieV said:
i think i'll try to pursure the BMW fix to safe some money but I'm so impressed by the response I'll keep you guys informed

P.S do you know any UK guys you trust for the mods you suguest ?

Thanks again
There is a UK crew.... in Marina Del Rey, California (http://mz3.net/articles/207.html). They seem to be the first ones to have documented the problem and a fix -- call them since they may have some suggestions in the UK. But Randy's has been standardized and tested on multiple cars for over a year now.

You may want to try Randy's route to see if BMW UK will pay some or all of the cost of reinforcement -- since repair isn't much less expensive than reinforcement.

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
get BMW to cover it, that's rich, the only thing BMW will cover is their own @ss :tsk:

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
TeamM3 said:
get BMW to cover it, that's rich, the only thing BMW will cover is their own @ss :tsk:
That's my car, but that's not my garage... :angel:

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Here's a few cracks and broken spotwelds that I've come across in the last couple of days. The damage was undetectable with the sound deadening asphalt mat in place. The crack on the bracket was visible, but just barely until cleaned off and wire brushed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts