BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm configuring a 328i for special order; I was drawn a bit to the M-Sport edition, although to me it's a bit dishonest to claim it's an M car without it having an M motor, suspension, brakes, real pneumatic tires (no runflat hard rubber disks), etc.

However, I just discovered that the front fascia of the M-sport edition conflicts with having fog lamps.

Who thinks a bigger opening in the air dam for the brakes (I assume this is what the reasoning is) is more important than fog lamps for real world driving on real world roads? :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
They are thinking $ave $ave and $ave

Same as spare tire idea

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
And the suspension idea.

·
Super Moderator
8,085 Posts
And there's a difference of course between MSport and the M division of BMW. MSport is mainly a cosmetic change while M division as you know is nearly a complete redo of the car for aggressive drivers with lots of cash. MSport will save you about $20K in this regard.

·
Liked when BMW was in F1
977 Posts
To make sure the M sport was able to handle all temp ranges while on the track the fog lights were removed in favor of additional cooling.

Tim
I thought, fog lamps were available as on option on the Europe-Spec MSport?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do you really believe that?
But EU doesn't need the additional cooling?

It's a cost saving measure.

OP - get a sport line and add the M Performance suspension, much better if you really WANT the sport seats.

I didn't like the M sport body moulding, too M3-wannabe like, so I bought a base, got the fog lights, and added the M Performance suspension...I guarantee you I'll run better lap times than an M Performance model.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Correct. The tracks in the EU don't get as hot as the track in the US.
I'm sorry, I don't buy it. Track time in the summer in EU or US are going to be the same, when I've traveled there, it's just as stifling and hot in August whether I'm in Paris or Giants Stadium in NJ. I've only tracked here in the spring/summer, so can't comment on how my car would respond.

The avid trackers using F30's have noted the brake air supply is weak, which can be corrected with some larger air diverters. Other than that, I don't see a reason why the OP should buy an M Performance line...the IC looks like another item that needs a gentle upgrade as well for additional cooling.

Alternatively, OP can get the EU bumper after the fact with fog's...just cost $$.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
Correct. The tracks in the EU don't get as hot as the track in the US.
Tim. You are in Boston. I think you should come to Climb to the Clouds.

That is all. Carry on with the conversation :)

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
But EU doesn't need the additional cooling?

It's a cost saving measure.

OP - get a sport line and add the M Performance suspension, much better if you really WANT the sport seats.

I didn't like the M sport body moulding, too M3-wannabe like, so I bought a base, got the fog lights, and added the M Performance suspension...I guarantee you I'll run better lap times than an M Performance model.
It is as simple as that.

·
Liked when BMW was in F1
977 Posts
It is as simple as that.
If it was only that, they would be able to propose them as an option for a few bucks...
I understand additional cooling could be interesting, but I would think a large % of owners (even M-SPORT owners) will never track their cars, so why not have it as an option?

·
Liked when BMW was in F1
977 Posts
Anyone complaining about no fog lamps just don't get m-sport, real men don't need no stinkin badges or fog lamps on the track:)
I agree...
Since I am not planning to take the car the track, I am looking into the Sport Line (just for visual effect, and the imporved suspention). I am still on the fence about ZDH...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I'm configuring a 328i for special order; I was drawn a bit to the M-Sport edition, although to me it's a bit dishonest to claim it's an M car without it having an M motor, suspension, brakes, real pneumatic tires (no runflat hard rubber disks), etc.

However, I just discovered that the front fascia of the M-sport edition conflicts with having fog lamps.

Who thinks a bigger opening in the air dam for the brakes (I assume this is what the reasoning is) is more important than fog lamps for real world driving on real world roads? :thumbdwn:
M-Sport makes no claims to be an M-car. There are no M exterior badges aside from the wheels.

BMW has done M-technic and M appearance packages dating back 20+ years. You could even get an 318TI in the E36 generation that from the front could not be distinguished from a same year M3.

I agree...
Since I am not planning to take the car the track, I am looking into the Sport Line (just for visual effect, and the imporved suspention). I am still on the fence about ZDH...
You miss out on the more aggressive brake pads and staggered wheels/tires of the M-Sport on the 328.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.