BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some misery-loves-company replies here. No matter how hard I try, I keep pulling too close to those danged concrete front-end parking bars/blocks/barriers and my 2014 535d M-Sport is the worse for it.

Somehow, one never hears the front end rubbing into and getting hooked on the things; but, upon leaving, one always hears and feels (and sees and regrets) the consequences of doing so.

I have had the front bumper assembly re-attached, re-tightened, re-aligned numerous times and, every month or two, when distracted by the merest thing, I end up doing it again. One exasperated body guy recently said, "I'm begging you here - from now on, back into every parking spot."

I either have to finally learn my lesson or stop buying M-Sports, and I fear that I may never learn my lesson.

Anyone else?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
BMW should have design the front parking sensors lower or have a wider angle to detect the curbs and the parking blocks like Mercedes does.

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BMW should have design the front parking sensors lower or have a wider angle to detect the curbs and the parking blocks like Mercedes does.
Yes, people keep asking me why I ignored the sensor alarms and I keep telling them that the sensors don't sense anything down there, which doesn't make...any sense.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I feel your pain. I try to avoid parking spots that have these bumper blocks. My Corvette has 2 front cameras that point forward and down so you can pull in and stop just short of the parking block hitting the front splitter. It also sits about 2 inches lower than my 5 series.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've had very mixed luck with the sensors. Very rarely do the sensors pickup ghosts just before you pass the barrier. I've mainly relied on my previous life as a lowered Honda crx driver to avoid running in to those things. I have only ever scraped the 535 once :(

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
You don't need an M-sport - my 328xi does it! I try to remember my car is really short (sorry, I know your 535 is longer!) and that parking short of the block still leaves lots of room behind me. The bottom of my front bumber is UGLY. And no sensor or camera. But still, when distracted -ouch!

I had an A4 which donated it's lower splash shield to parking blocks more than one. I HATE those things!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I find that my msport does not hit normal sized bumpers, but does hit many curbs. My parking sensors (I have "surround view"/side and top view cameras) do show a red line in front of the front bumper when something is close to hitting it. I find that those sensors are a bit too "conservative" but that red line has definitely saved me a bit...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I look at the car to the left and judge by the reflection in their paint. If no car there then I'm usually very conservative and miss by about 6 inches.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Curb rash.....my bumper is a mess underneath. Thankfully I've yet to damage any visible parts. BMW has to give us a sensor here or a camera. I constantly misjudge the length of the front end. All this to say...I feel your pain.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2000 corvette is lowered and has a front splitter, I installed a curb alert system which detects the blocks and sounds a warning. On my 5 I have installed carbon front splitter, just this morning I rubbed against a parking block. Fortunately it was not to bad and most of the rash is on the under side. Now considering installing the curb alert on the 5.

·
Stuart in Houston
672 Posts
Somehow, one never hears the front end rubbing into and getting hooked on the things; but, upon leaving, one always hears and feels (and sees and regrets) the consequences of doing so.
That's what I notice. You never (or rarely) hear it going in, but leaving... grrgrgr sound.

Did I eat so much that the car is an inch lower upon leaving?:mad:

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is the same system I have installed on the Vette. Was an easy install on that car. Not so easy on the BMW as you have to wire it to an auxiliary power source vs. wiring into fuse box.

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks, all. I see that I'm not alone here.

I'm looking into the Curb Alert to preserve what's left of my front end (and my sanity).

Much appreciate the recommendations.

(Can anyone share some tips on precisely how to install and power the thing on a 535?)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2016 with "Park Distance Control" but I'm not totally sure what that means. BMW's just seem to have low front ends so over the years, I've learned to park my car several inches from the curbs. I'm new to MSport, is this an even lower front end?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Looking for some misery-loves-company replies here. No matter how hard I try, I keep pulling too close to those danged concrete front-end parking bars/blocks/barriers and my 2014 535d M-Sport is the worse for it.

I have had the front bumper assembly re-attached, re-tightened, re-aligned numerous times and, every month or two, when distracted by the merest thing, I end up doing it again. One exasperated body guy recently said, "I'm begging you here - from now on, back into every parking spot."

I either have to finally learn my lesson or stop buying M-Sports, and I fear that I may never learn my lesson.

Anyone else?
On your next BMW M sport model get top and side view cameras. The MAIN purpose of those top view cameras is that you can see that block before you get to it. Either that or back in (which you obviously are not going to regularly do, because if you were going to do it, you already would have).

Seriously, get the top view camera's. You can buy them separately, without getting drivers assistance + on some BMWs.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Anyone else?
I have the top and side cameras and I use the side cameras to help when parking to stop this. I had no idea they good be used for this until I read it on the forum.

·
redhot47fla
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On your next BMW M sport model get top and side view cameras. The MAIN purpose of those top view cameras is that you can see that block before you get to it. Either that or back in (which you obviously are not going to regularly do, because if you were going to do it, you already would have).

Seriously, get the top view camera's. You can buy them separately, without getting drivers assistance + on some BMWs.
Already have them, and they do help a little bit but not if I'm already a little distracted and forget to check them as I pull into a spot. An audible alarm, such as we get for other, higher obstructions, would be much better.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Anyone else?
I am not sure you rectified the problem of hitting the curbs or not. But new item solves it inexpensively. Its a license plate bracket you just screw onto the fron. Download their app onto your smartphone. It holds a AA battery runs through Bluetooth. Adjust the two sensors and with connection enabled you get a beep that gets louder and quicker
$120 well spent to me. Look up the company
@ fensens.com

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 20 of 25 Posts