BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am currently putting some of the M tech options on my E39, to finish the Sport pack that was not completely installed at the factory.

The parts I am looking at now are the M door sill covers. I bought the front pair off ebay and they were not quite what I expected. I have searched throught the EPC and found the matching rears, but they are from an M5, not the M sport model.

They are black plastic with a long clear plastic insert with silver/grey stripes along it and the M and the three coloured stripes in the middle.

I am wondering if anyone else has the M cover sill strips and what type they have.

Pics and part numbers if possible would be great.

My front right part number is 51 47 2 494 822.

Ideally the ones I want are similar to the stock covers, just with the M logo in the middle, instead of the BMW logo, not the clear plastic insert type.

Thanks

Neil

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Neil, posting pictures can go a long ways...do you have any?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are those part codes for the black plastic ones with the logo in the plastic?

Here is apic of the sills I got. Not very clear, plus you can not make out the clear plastic insert as part of the sill.

Thanks

Neil

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have a picture of the sills Tyrone lists. I have completely different part codes on my new sills. I will try to get a good pic of them fitted to my car now. They look ok, but I think I am going to have difficulty ordering the rears from the dealer, as they list as M5 parts, no dealer in the UK lets you order M5 parts without an M5 chassis number.

I do not want to order the rears fromt he part codes Tyrone gave without knowing the parts I will get match the front ones I have already!

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sometimes the stamped part numbers are not the same as the numbers used when ordering. The manufacturers of the parts often do this. For example, if you were to order the part number on your sill, you would get one with M5 on it.

But you will get what is pictured below if you order the part numbers I provided

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of my sill fitted to my car, looks very similar if not identical to the one you have show Tyrone.

Should be safe to order your part code, plus it cheaper than the ones I found.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Tyrone said:
Sometimes the stamped part numbers are not the same as the numbers used when ordering. The manufacturers of the parts often do this. For example, if you were to order the part number on your sill, you would get one with M5 on it.

But you will get what is pictured below if you order the part numbers I provided ]
I'm thinking about replacing my stock door sills on my 2003 E39 530iA with the one pointed out by Tyrone, the ///M door sills (*not* the ///M5 door sills).

To anyone that has done this retrofit installation on their E39, is the removal and installation a straight forward upgrade? Need any special tool(s), instructions, etc.? I couldn't find one in any E39 DIY Web sites. I looked at my stock door sills and looks like they are ready to pop out, and they seem to be held down with some sort of clips (just my guess).

I looked at the pricing posted at some other forum,

1 51-47-2-695-661 ENTRANCE COVER 1 63.60
2 51-47-2-695-662 ENTRANCE COVER 1 63.60
3 51-47-2-695-671 ENTRANCE COVER 1 53.80
4 51-47-2-695-672 ENTRANCE COVER 1 53.80
5 51-47-1-840-960 CLIP 24 0.20 each
6 51-47-8-238-611 INSERT 2 0.40 each

Not too bad of price. I'll see if i can get bit cheaper elsewhere and locally.

Does anyone know what if i need to get these "clips" and "inserts"? Are they required, i.e. do folks recommend using the "new" clips and inserts and not reuse the one from stock sills? Maybe these clips and inserts break easily when removing the sills.

BTW, if anyone has any picture(s) to share of their install (or pictures of the part is okay too) of "front door exterior ///Moldings", i would really appreaite it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gixxer said:
I'm thinking about replacing my stock door sills on my 2003 E39 530iA with the one pointed out by Tyrone, the ///M door sills (*not* the ///M5 door sills).

To anyone that has done this retrofit installation on their E39, is the removal and installation a straight forward upgrade? Need any special tool(s), instructions, etc.? I couldn't find one in any E39 DIY Web sites. I looked at my stock door sills and looks like they are ready to pop out, and they seem to be held down with some sort of clips (just my guess).

I looked at the pricing posted at some other forum,

1 51-47-2-695-661 ENTRANCE COVER 1 63.60
2 51-47-2-695-662 ENTRANCE COVER 1 63.60
3 51-47-2-695-671 ENTRANCE COVER 1 53.80
4 51-47-2-695-672 ENTRANCE COVER 1 53.80
5 51-47-1-840-960 CLIP 24 0.20 each
6 51-47-8-238-611 INSERT 2 0.40 each

Not too bad of price. I'll see if i can get bit cheaper elsewhere and locally.

Does anyone know what if i need to get these "clips" and "inserts"? Are they required, i.e. do folks recommend using the "new" clips and inserts and not reuse the one from stock sills? Maybe these clips and inserts break easily when removing the sills.

BTW, if anyone has any picture(s) to share of their install (or pictures of the part is okay too) of "front door exterior ///Moldings", i would really appreaite it.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I have ordered and fitted my rears now, looks much better than the stock ones.

Removal of the front is really easy, I found the best way was to lift the middle of the old sill cover up about 1.5 inches and then slide the whole sill cover towards the back of the car. This will remove the sill cover and leave the old clips in place.

To remove the old clips I used two flat blade screwdrivers and some cloth to protect the bodywork, I used the two screwdrivers under each side of the clip and pryed it out, pushing against the cloth placed on the bodywork, they come out easily.

The rears were a bit more difficult, I found it hard to slide them out, you need to lift the 'B pillar side' as well as part of the middle of the sill cover, in the end I used the two screwdrivers to pyre out the sill cover and the clips. I damaged the clip housing on the old sill cover , but the clips themselves were ok, they are tough little things.

The sill covers I ordered from Tyrones part numbers for the rears had the clips attached, thats in the UK anyway.

Fitment is a simple matte of lining it up and pushing it in, a slight tap with your fist and it's done.

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
847 Posts
no8080 said:
The rears were a bit more difficult, I found it hard to slide them out, you need to lift the 'B pillar side' as well as part of the middle of the sill cover, in the end I used the two screwdrivers to pyre out the sill cover and the clips. I damaged the clip housing on the old sill cover , but the clips themselves were ok, they are tough little things.
Thanks for the info.

BTW, i'm bit new to the whole car parts thing. So what is a "B Pillar Side"? I hear there's A Pillar, B Pillar, C Pillar and so on. Is this what is next to the door sill and has the floor carpet attached to?

If you happen to have some pictures that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gixxer said:
Thanks for the info.

BTW, i'm bit new to the whole car parts thing. So what is a "B Pillar Side"? I hear there's A Pillar, B Pillar, C Pillar and so on. Is this what is next to the door sill and has the floor carpet attached to?

If you happen to have some pictures that would be wonderful.
Hi,

the 'A pillar' is the upright pillar holding your front windscreen in, the 'B pillar' is the upright pillar between your front and rear doors. the 'C pillar' is the larger metal pillar behind your rear doors, holding your rear windscreen in.

When we refer to a pillar, we mean from the floor to the roof of the car, so the 'A pillar' includes everything from the sill (floor section) to the roof.

Best way to view the car for the instructions I gave are, stand looking at the left side of your car, drivers side in a LHD. The rear sill cover needs sliding towards the 'B pillar' ie the front of the car.

The plastic covers that hold your carpet in are called Entrance covers, I think.

·
Registered
847 Posts
no8080 said:
Best way to view the car for the instructions I gave are, stand looking at the left side of your car, drivers side in a LHD. The rear sill cover needs sliding towards the 'B pillar' ie the front of the car.
Thanks for that bit of education!

So bottom line, "both" sill covers need sliding towards the "B pillar", hence for the front sill cover slide toward the rear of the car, and the rear sill cover slide toward the front of the car.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gixxer said:
Thanks for that bit of education!

So bottom line, "both" sill covers need sliding towards the "B pillar", hence for the front sill cover slide toward the rear of the car, and the rear sill cover slide toward the front of the car.

Thanks again!
That sounds right, it was a few weeks ago I fitted the sill covers. They are pretty easy to do, worst case is you will have to prye them off.

I will be ordering the outer door M mouldings soon, then on the the M bodykit!

·
Registered
847 Posts
no8080 said:
I will be ordering the outer door M mouldings soon, then on the the M bodykit!
Me too. I'm also considering upgrading the side mirros to ///M5 style.

I'll have to check out your completed setup later on.

As for the M body kit, are you getting the original or some aftermarket body kit? Are you planning both front and rear spoilers?

Anyway, thanks for your help!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.