BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
03 530i.
I just installed the complete M-Teck kit on my 530 (pics to follow soon).
My plan was to put a chrome tip on the rear exhaust, not an entire new muffler. The problem is that the stock exhaust tip is not centered with the new cutout. It's about 2-3 inches to the left of center. Anyone had this problem and if so, how was it resolved? The dealer body shop put on the kit, it was indeed done right. Actually, I don't know how it could have been done wrong. I went to a custom shop today and they said they would have to heat up the muffler in order to reposition it in the center. I'm not familiar with this?Anyway, I need your help and suggestions.Thanks,

Denny
Windy City BMWCCA

·
Registered
641 Posts
it sounds about right... i had custom exhaust done on my 5 and yes the stock pipe is a little bit off... depending on the condition of your existing pipe, i do not know if it will permit bending... if it does permit, then it does sound right. and it can be done. if I were you... I would just get a new muffler. From what I've learned on tuning cars... You want to tune your car (performance or looks), spend the money and do it right the first time.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
get magnaflows... they are cheap and easy to put in.

·
Norwegian
304 Posts
I am wondering the same thing, even though I have not gotten the M-technic bumpers yet. I guess you would be able to get the M-technic muffler/exhaust tip from BMW. i don't know if you can get only the tip. Then I guess you'll have to have the two original mufflers, not the single one that some have. I have only seen the M-technic exhaust tip on the two muffler system.

I'd personally get a new muffler with a little more sound to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Magnas seem to be the cheap way out. However, I think the sound is too deep for my taste. I came from an E36M3 with a SS, and loved that higher pitched, more refined sound. The cost to do the tip installed will be $115 installed as opposed to spending $700+ for a Dinan, which would have the sound I want and no mods to the bumper.

Scany1980, FYI, the chrome tip that is on the 540 M Tech muffler is available from the dealer. Around $35 or so. Part #82 12 9 408 605 should be it.
Now for the 530 with the M Tech, like mine, BMW does sell the stock 530 muffler with the 540 chrome tip attached. Part # 18 10 7 831 689, about $520, no additional sound or performance though. So many choices!

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Magnas seem to be the cheap way out. However, I think the sound is too deep for my taste. I came from an E36M3 with a SS, and loved that higher pitched, more refined sound. The cost to do the tip installed will be $115 installed as opposed to spending $700+ for a Dinan, which would have the sound I want and no mods to the bumper.

Scany1980, FYI, the chrome tip that is on the 540 M Tech muffler is available from the dealer. Around $35 or so. Part #82 12 9 408 605 should be it.
Now for the 530 with the M Tech, like mine, BMW does sell the stock 530 muffler with the 540 chrome tip attached. Part # 18 10 7 831 689, about $520, no additional sound or performance though. So many choices!
SS is actually a modified Magna. scandalous ain't it?

·
ZOMGHI2U
225 Posts
I got that sport muffler for $350 @ Crevier. I wanted to keep everything OEM in case the dealer tries to deny me warranty work. :)

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
RiDE said:
I got that sport muffler for $350 @ Crevier. I wanted to keep everything OEM in case the dealer tries to deny me warranty work. :)
that's not bad... might go that route since i'm getting everything painted now.

·
Norwegian
304 Posts
Thanks for the info!

So you can get two different OEM mufflers on a 528i: single or doubble(sport). I thought 540's came with the sport exhaust that you could also get on the 528i.

Looking at the Parts catalog I only see the two kinds of rear mufflers. The 540i only seem to be different before the rear muffler, and that the brackets are different. But to me it looks like the mufflers are the same. Somehow I couldn't see any part numbers though. The 530 might have something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts