BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow, that's an interesting comparison.

Car magazines compare the Audi TT RS to the 1M....

My Two Cents.

The S4 is a larger car, AWD, 4 door, bigger, MUCH bigger.

The 1M looks like a VERY fun car to drive...judging by the smiles I see on the faces of 135 drivers I see...now I am biased as I'm considering a 1M myself (but in Black LOL).

Winter? Hell, 5 winters in a 1997 M3 in NH and Upstate NY, snow tires, rear wheel drive, good skills, no problem...but AWD is certainly much better in the snow, there's little room for comparison.

Need Rear Seat? Kids? S4 - My 1997 M3 rear seat was getting close on room for growing child and the 1M is if I am correct about the same size as the M3 back then.

Fit and Finish - remains to be seen in person, but from experience with Audi, Audi wins. Recent comparo TTRS vs 1M, mags agreed.

Modify Engine - both engines are very tweakable.

Manual Transmission vs Auto - tough call - Dual Clutch Auto is very hard to beat in shifting speed, but 6 speed with a clutch is fun!

Price : 1M should be $10 to $15,000 less.

Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input! I'm having dome trouble deciding which to go with. both are beautiful cars and I've had a audi a4 and it handled amazing but the M1 is so sexy and to have a car with that M badge is a milestone in my book lol

·
116 Posts
Just like in your other thread, you are comparing 2 different classes of cars. :dunno:

S4 is an AWD Sedan, 1M is a RWD coupe. Until you tell us what exactly you are looking for in a car, it is going to hard to give you useful information.
What type of transmission? 2dr? 4dr? Techy interior vs plain? Auto-X? Track days? Snow?

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, just trying to get you good information.

·
Please, call me Brian.
10,782 Posts
Totally different classes, the M1 was a full fledged race car; mid engine, rear wheel drive, more similiar to the 90's Ferrari's in terms of overall size and drive ability.

A closer comparison would probably be the new 1 series M coupe, which utilizes a front engine, RWD layout. As said above though, the audi you speak of is really not a competitor for any of the 1 series, let a lone the top of the line version.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's an interesting comparo, but frankly, I see where it's coming from. I routinely cross shop sedans and coupes.

1M is small, pretty light, great power and torque, sports tuning all around.
S4 is considerably larger (nearly mid-sized), also powerful, yet not as nimble or racy.

I'm biased because I'm a pretty huge Audi fan, even though I currently drive a 1-series. I love AWD. But it's a really tough choice that only you can make.

What's interesting is, the price of these two is within about $1k of each other. Pricing them out how I would equip them gives me only about $700 more for the S4.

Let us know which you decide on.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just have to laugh.

We are talking about the 1 series M.

NOT the legendary M1 race car.

:)

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
A closer comparison would probably be the new 1 series M coupe, which utilizes a front engine, RWD layout. As said above though, the audi you speak of is really not a competitor for any of the 1 series, let a lone the top of the line version.

Wow, I hadn't seen one in white, looks incredible. I'd love to have one, but have to save for the P-car . . . when I'm 80.

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
Since the original post was back in March......my guess is that he already made his purchase and with a whole 7 posts to his name, my guess is he never came back. Moving on......

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
Well I hope he found his M1 for a test drive - especially since only 455 were ever built.

Tom
My guess is that if he had 7 posts, he was either a troll, or he bought something non-BMW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.