BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wellllllll, Obviously!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after figuring out that I'm more of an E34 person than an E30 person The hunt begins for a decent E34 to be my chariot.

My last E34's M30 had 298k+ miles on it and with regular maintenance it ran like a charming beast. I recently found a M20 E34 with 212k miles on it. This wouldn't worry me if it were an M30 but i don't know how reliable the M20 is at high mileage. (of course it depends on how well the car was maintained). My E30 had 136k and wasn't nearly as reliable as my E34 was.

What kind of mileage are these M20's getting up to before they poop out or need a rebuild?

Sorry if this has already been covered in another thread. I'm lazy and didn't feel like using the search function.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If taken care of, that engine will last a long time. +300,000 The parts to keep the motor happy are relatively inexpensive and readily available. My sedan has over 250K on an original M20 power plant. She runs like a champion...

·
Registered
79 Posts
as far as i know...i have my original m20 with 138,xxx KM's so far...needs a lil tune up and other stuff fixed..but still pulls hard...slowly :p

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
as far as i know...i have my original m20 with 138,xxx KM's so far...needs a lil tune up and other stuff fixed..but still pulls hard...slowly :p
Still better than the 4 bangers in the 3 series though.

·
Wellllllll, Obviously!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! good to know. I'm gonna take my time finding the E34 thats just right this time.

Question to any of you that have driven both the 525i and the 535i.
I imagine the 525 feels like a slug in comparison with its M30 powered companion. Does the 525i feel underpowered at all?

·
Humble E34 lover
5,519 Posts
Nice! good to know. I'm gonna take my time finding the E34 thats just right this time.

Question to any of you that have driven both the 525i and the 535i.
I imagine the 525 feels like a slug in comparison with its M30 powered companion. Does the 525i feel underpowered at all?
The 535 definitely has more power, but not a real dramatic difference. IF you are looking for the power factor, get a 540. You will love it :D

Steve

·
Wellllllll, Obviously!
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about that, but with gas already at 4.00+/gal here in South OC, and still going up, I'm not sure how practical that would be. Lol, More reason to get a bike soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my opinion the 535i has an almost perfect balance of power and fuel economy. If you drive it civilized you can get up and over 20 mpg. If you wanna throw the hammer down you'll beat most cars off the road. Plus it revs quicker than a v8 in the 540.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts