BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
BMW...riceless
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it's only been 6 months since my valves were destroyed by an intermediate shaft gear failure. finally i am able to show some progress. head has been shaved, reground seats and new valve guides. block has been dipped and honed. here are some pics of the new M20.

Attachments

·
BMW...riceless
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no port and polish, i've heard that bmw has pretty much maxed out the airflow. i will however trim the intake gaskets as tight as possible. these are stock i pistons that were in there to start with, but they looked like this...

now they look like this...

·
BMW...riceless
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
didn't plan on too much depth to start with on the build, or thread for that matter. but here is a short history. intermediate shaft gear failure = same as tb snap...6 broken intake rockers, 5 bent intake valves and 4 bent exhaust valves. ok, i need a head re-build. well, oil in the intake, throttle body and everywhere else...so i tore it all out. burnt oil in the oil pan and shot rings. let the fun begin. the head sat at the machine shop for three months, shaved, new guides and seats reground. i got the block back the same day...dipped and honed. the machinest was really impressed with the head and block, no ridges at cylinder tops, and the walls were not worn, so now it just has pretty cross hatching. found out that this 2.5L had an upgrade...M52 crank. so now me happy...i haz a 2.8 stroker. just your average stock cam, but oh well. anyway here is what i have in in so far:
head and block .....................$275
gaskets..................................120
intermediate gear.....................27
intermediate bearings...............10
oil plug cover...........................27
plastigauge...............................3
freeze plugs..............................9
rings......................................120
couple hoses............................40
timing belt...............................12
tb tension spring.......................6
tb tension stud..........................6

$655
that should be everything until i start it up. thanks for the interest.

·
BMW...riceless
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is on my list...just because i want to know. my buddy wants to buy one and make a side business out of it. what is a fair price for a test ? not sure how far i'll have to go to find someone around here.

·
BMW...riceless
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pulled tranny this weekend to make mating engine easier. glad i did, check out the awesome mounts. new ones scheduled to be here thursday...unless there is bad weather in bf arkansas. few other pics too. cleaned the bay with a toothbrush, nice and clean.

plan on installing next weekend...:rolleyes:

·
BMW...riceless
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gonna have to go to nastyville or chattynooga for a dyno...100 miles either way. can't believe nobody closer. dang hick region. anyhoo, it will be a nice ride. and about the broken mounts...i had one engine mount delaminated at the plate. i thought my tranny was jerking because of filter, but now i believe it was the engine and tranny torqueing. the bad mount was on the passenger side. that and two tranny mounts completely seperated left only the down pressure on drivers side mount holding everything together. i can just see the whole engine trying to roll over...only the manifolds holding it down....dang....:yikes:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.