Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into 2011 or 2012 BMW M3. I want the final model year as it will be the final naturally , high revving M3 that we will see for awhile. The lease on my 328xi coupe ends in about a year and 1 month, I will be commuting to and from school, it's about an 45 minute drive. Is it possible? Gas won't be a problem, I'll be cruising highway most of the time anyway. How's the M3 for a daily driver? Will I nee to push it around town? Does it have enough torque for a daily driver? Any input is absolutely appreciated.

·
Passionate Enthusiast
318 Posts
I'm sure you will have tons of replies from the owners themselves, but I have heard nothing but praise for the M3's daily-drivability.

·
They call 'em rigs here
859 Posts
Regarding the aspects of a car that make it useable every day, the M really isn't that different than a regular 3 series. That's the beauty of it and one of the things that set it apart from most any car out there. Having said that, if you have to drive it in the snow, better get some wheels and snow tires... the high performance summer tires are not meant for winter weather.

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the aspects of a car that make it useable every day, the M really isn't that different than a regular 3 series. That's the beauty of it and one of the things that set it apart from most any car out there. Having said that, if you have to drive it in the snow, better get some wheels and snow tires... the high performance summer tires are not meant for winter weather.
I live in Maryland where the most snow we'll ever get is 1-2 inches tops. The roads are pretty well maintained around here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
M3 is a perfect daily driver. You will need snow tires or at least all seasons for winter. the sport tire compound will not work at all, regardless of how many inches. its just too cold for the rubber. Get a set of PA3 or dunlop wintersports.
My M3 tires turned into hockey pucks (with the equivalent traction) under 32 degrees. They spun in a 1/4 of snow. Personally that's what bugs me about these cars for those of us that live in the mid-atlantic. It makes more sense to put a high performance all-season tire on this car than an ultra-performance summer only tire. It shouldn't be driven at 10/10s on the street anyway. Makes more sense to buy track tires for the few that will ever see a track rather than snow tires for a quarter of them in the US that may see two or three snow storms a year.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The car is a great daily driver with the M-DCT. I bought my car when I had a 330Ci to drive daily and used the M3 as the weekend car. As time went on and the M3 proved its reliability, I found myself wanting to drive it daily. The creature comforts of the car are outstanding. With the exception of gas mileage, to me it is the perfect daily driver. Ultimately I sold my 330Ci, bought a P-Car 996 C4 with 6sp manual as my toy car and now drive the M3 daily to work.

·
Launch Control Ready
1,577 Posts
This is interesting...tough to answer. I do enjoy the heck out of driving mine every day.

The thing is, the magic of the M3 is past 5K RPM and yet there are not really many times to do this past second gear...

The brakes, handling, etc are all wonderful and fully add to the enjoyment of the drive. I do wish for some more low end grunt from time to time.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
M3 is a 3 series with a sport package.

The standard 3 series sport pack BMW sells is rediculous and mostly cosmetic. It hould be standard.

No issue driving a 3series/M3 as a daily driver since they are basically the same car.:thumbup:

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts

The standard 3 series sport pack BMW sells is rediculous and mostly cosmetic. It hould be standard.

No issue driving a 3series/M3 as a daily driver since they are basically the same car.:thumbup:
Moderato, did you read this? :rofl:

Quote: "Ugh, yeah I guess? If you consider having a different engine, transmission, suspension, differential and chassis, "souped up." Not to mention all the aesthetic differences."

·
Launch Control Ready
1,577 Posts

Yowsa...

I guess the 911 is a VW Beetle with a sports package too then?

·
Registered
372 Posts

I guess from the perspective of an SUV driver (even if its has a coupe body, its still an SUV).

However, even my wife who drives a SUV, recognizes the difference between a 3 series and an M3.:confused:

·
Registered
372 Posts
We traded my wifes 6MT 335i in on the 6MT M3, no complaints from her after a month of daily driving- we both still love it.
Thats an interesting perspective from an M3 MT6 owner. The M3 is lacking in some low end grunt, requiring frequent downshifting. With the M-DCT, that is not so much an issue. Probably something to consider, however, when buying the MT. The M-DCT is why I really love driving the M3 daily. The MT6sp is one reason I would not want to drive my 996 daily. The MT6 on the 996 is a blast when not tired and half asleep in the morning on the way to work. Obviously works for you. Something to consider however.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't think the M3 is lacking a lot down low but is definitely not where the modded 335 was ;-) Once you adjust to the powerband, no big deal- typical M, it likes to rev.
We don't own cars now without 3 pedals, even my daughter that just got her license had to learn to drive in her MT car......my wife was a late bloomer and did not have her first MT car until about 6 years ago.

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in MD and we don't get that much snow around here, 1-2 inches MAX. Will I have to change them to all seasons or get winter tires? How long will the stock tires last me?

·
Make Their Ass Quit!
1,281 Posts
I drive mine every day to/from work, about 35 miles roundtrip. Before the M3, I had a 2004 330i and a 2007 530i. I enjoy the hell out of driving this car. I have the 6-speed and love it. My drive is a mix of city and highway. I even have to deal with stop and go traffic when entering Redstone Arsenal and still love driving it. It's a race car when you want it to be but it can also be pretty docile when you want to take it easy. :thumbup:

I've had mine a year now and have had zero problems. My only service visit so far was for the 1200 mile service.

·
Usual Suspect
378 Posts
Yowsa...

I guess the 911 is a VW Beetle with a sports package too then?
It is very obvious that the 911 evolved (a long way) from the VW Beetle.

The M3 is a souped up (refined, evolved, whatever) 3 series. This is not a bad thing. It means that it has all of the good qualities of the regular 3 series (a car that has been the benchmark in its class for decades) with higher performance, higher limits, etc. but the starting point was the 3 Series. There are few cars (if any) that have the balance of performance and day to day driveability that the M3 has.

I think a good question would be "is the 335i a better daily driver than the M3". IMO probably not.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts