BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just about ready to buy an M3. I would have, and still probably would, buy an 08, but I couldn't find a M-DCT Coupe with the options I wanted...or an M-DCT Coupe period.

So I settled on ordering an 09, until I started scanning the Manheim auction listings. I finally found one that is basically exactly what I want. So now the questions:

1) It has 5k miles. If it was broken in badly, how much will this effect the car? Obviously, whenever you buy used and not new you don't know about break in, but how critical is it to the M3? Deal breaker not to buy new and break in yourself?

2) Any general auction advice? My friend is a dealer, so around here he's good to go. Paint meter, etc. Problem is, this M3 is in PA...we're in TX. Pictures, manheim report, carfax, etc seem great...advice?

3) The Seller is BMW NORTH AMERICA (CLOSED) . No idea what the closed means, neither does he. Does this mean its a demo? Should I steer away from the demo because of 1 above?

Thanks for any comments and advice. It's a huge price difference between ordering a new 09 (or finding it in inventory) and this 08 with 5k miles at auction. I don't mind the new 09 but I've never been one to throw away money.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So I'm just about ready to buy an M3. I would have, and still probably would, buy an 08, but I couldn't find a M-DCT Coupe with the options I wanted...or an M-DCT Coupe period.

So I settled on ordering an 09, until I started scanning the Manheim auction listings. I finally found one that is basically exactly what I want. So now the questions:

1) It has 5k miles. If it was broken in badly, how much will this effect the car? Obviously, whenever you buy used and not new you don't know about break in, but how critical is it to the M3? Deal breaker not to buy new and break in yourself?

2) Any general auction advice? My friend is a dealer, so around here he's good to go. Paint meter, etc. Problem is, this M3 is in PA...we're in TX. Pictures, manheim report, carfax, etc seem great...advice?

3) The Seller is BMW NORTH AMERICA (CLOSED) . No idea what the closed means, neither does he. Does this mean its a demo? Should I steer away from the demo because of 1 above?

Thanks for any comments and advice. It's a huge price difference between ordering a new 09 (or finding it in inventory) and this 08 with 5k miles at auction. I don't mind the new 09 but I've never been one to throw away money.
Curious...what's the price of the M3 '08 at auction? What is the MSRP on the car?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Auction sees them going for around $50k, give or take. Brand new this one I think was MSRP around $70k.
You know, at that price, maybe you get a bit less concerned about things like ensuring proper break-in, etc. Warranty is good until 50k miles; you will come out very good even if you traded out of it before warranty expires. Chances are high regardless that everything is fine with the car. Noone is going to intentionally mistreat an M3 on a test drive anyhow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, at that price, maybe you get a bit less concerned about things like ensuring proper break-in, etc. Warranty is good until 50k miles; you will come out very good even if you traded out of it before warranty expires. Chances are high regardless that everything is fine with the car. Noone is going to intentionally mistreat an M3 on a test drive anyhow.
I agree there. My concern is more that if it was a demo, it wasn't taken care of particularly well. At the same time, most of what I read and see is Demo's taken care of. I also wonder if there is a 3rd party extended warranty. I recall reading somewhere on this board BMW won't sell extended warranties to anyone besides the original owner.

At $50kish, I'm definitely in a good position to sell or trade in however many years. I just prefer to keep cars a while. 6+ years on this Mazda, maybe not the same on the BMW but who knows.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Mazda to BMW, quite an upgrade! I wouldnt be worried about break in as well.....unless it was driven by an/a group of absolute idiots from Mars....you should do well on that deal. 50K sounds like a steal on a less than a year old M3 with DCT....I would grab it, no questions asked...

·
I know a thing or two...
7,439 Posts
This means that it is a company car that is being sold in a 'closed' sale... which means that only franchised BMW dealers can participate-- BMW will only sell the cars to BMW dealers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This means that it is a company car that is being sold in a 'closed' sale... which means that only franchised BMW dealers can participate-- BMW will only sell the cars to BMW dealers.
Thanks! Actually found this out late last night. Shouldn't be an issue =) I'll update depending on what I decide...I may go talk to a few dealers and check out the new route once more.

·
Banned
143 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts