Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of all the mentions of Dealerships and aftermarket shops taking BMW out for joy rides and abusing the sh*t out of them, it has brought some concerns to light.
Wondering if it would be possible to program the cars computer with a rev limiter, say at 4K. In normal everyday driving, there is no need to go higher, and would give many people peace of mind when dropping there car off at a dealership & performance shops for work on our cars. It can be programmed to work with one of the BMW keys that we could buy extra, and with that key is used to lock and unlock, the computer would limit the revs to 4 K. And to go further, why not even limit the SMG's to only engage in S1?

I know I would pay good money if someone came out with this kind of a system. I don't see it being that difficult to program into the existing computer. I wonder why BMW themselves don't incorporate a system like this, which would help especially with the E46 M3's that have experienced higher than normal engine failures.
This would give all us BMW owners peace of mind when leaving our cars at shops, also useful when lending our car to someone and any other reason that ou don't want your car to be driven hard.
Maybe I should send this to BMW &/or Dinan........

·
Registered
43 Posts
No kidding. I'd set it to not let you go above 4,000 rpm during the first 1,200 miles, too. Don't want anyone playing with it before it's in my hands.

Alex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: M3 Engine Limiter?

Alexander said:
No kidding. I'd set it to not let you go above 4,000 rpm during the first 1,200 miles, too. Don't want anyone playing with it before it's in my hands.

Alex
Good point.
Also a foolproof way for BMW to ensure that the M3 engines get broken in properly as they are stressing.

When I got my new M3, it had 14 Kms.
Not abnormal, but it did make me wonder.

Thanks for the note atyclib, now I can rest assured the car likely hasn't been abused prior to delivery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: M3 Engine Limiter?

Alexander said:

Alex
Good point.
Also a foolproof way for BMW to ensure that the M3 engines get broken in properly as they are stressing.

When I got my new M3, it had 14 Kms.
Not abnormal, but it did make me wonder.

Thanks for the note atyclib, now I can rest assured the car likely hasn't been abused prior to delivery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
atyclb said:
M3's come shipped with a 5500 limiter that is removed pre-delivery
At the dealer? I'm gonna ask if they can leave that on, then take it off at the 1,200 mile service instead.

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

Alex

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
Yeah, and if you NEED the higher RPM to avoid an accident or similar, you don't have it. And if that happened, many people would sue BMW for the limiter.

It is very easy to stay below 5,500 RPM for 1200 miles. It just takes a little discipline.

Now, what I would like would be for the valet key to limit the car to A1 and a reasonable RPM limit on SMG cars. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pinecone said:
Yeah, and if you NEED the higher RPM to avoid an accident or similar, you don't have it. And if that happened, many people would sue BMW for the limiter.

It is very easy to stay below 5,500 RPM for 1200 miles. It just takes a little discipline.
I don't doubt it; I'm just the paranoid type.

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of accident can you avoid by accelerating? (Not counting obvious ones caused by driver error -- such as passing or merging when you don't have enough power, but think you do)

Alex

·
Where am I?
963 Posts
Alexander said:

I don't doubt it; I'm just the paranoid type.

Also, just out of curiosity, what kind of accident can you avoid by accelerating? (Not counting obvious ones caused by driver error -- such as passing or merging when you don't have enough power, but think you do)

Alex
I can envision being about to get t-boned. Punch it so they'll miss you or at least clip you and not smash you or the passenger. I had to do that once a loooooong time ago. I almost made it clean, too. Clearly this only works if there' noone in front of you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pinecone said:

Now, what I would like would be for the valet key to limit the car to A1 and a reasonable RPM limit on SMG cars. :)
Yeah, and it helps to have someone else's M3 who is past the break-in period.

If you have never driven an M before, there would be no discipline that will stop you exceeding 5,500 RPMs the first month you get the car. It's like saying not to scratch an itch... it's almost impossible.

wow you have 2 M cars and you live in Maryland? Which county ?

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
tlaselva said:
Wondering if it would be possible to program the cars computer with a rev limiter, say at 4K.
My '95 Eagle Talon had that option installed after I found the valet parking folks racing it. I don't see any reason why it couldn't be added to the BMW controller. BTW, here's the URL for the Talon mod, so you can see what else it offers: http://www.tmo.com/prod/eprom/selection.htm#security

·
M Mad
10,479 Posts
Impulss said:

Yeah, and it helps to have someone else's M3 who is past the break-in period.

If you have never driven an M before, there would be no discipline that will stop you exceeding 5,500 RPMs the first month you get the car. It's like saying not to scratch an itch... it's almost impossible.

wow you have 2 M cars and you live in Maryland? Which county ?
Sorry, but if you can't hold back the first whole 1200 miles, maybe you should get professional help.

Take a road trip. Put the 1200 miles on it in a short period of time. We did it in basically 3 days. Picked the car up at teh PC on Monday, had the 1200 mile service done on Friday morning. :)

Harford County.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pinecone said:
Now, what I would like would be for the valet key to limit the car...
I guess the service department would get pretty tired of having to call up and ask for the regular key each time I dropped mine off.:rolleyes:

I would really like this function though.:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts