BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a 2003 330i owner that's been thinking about buying a M3 or a 335i. A used car dealership 70 miles from me has a 2006 M3 with 1,400 miles, MT, nav sys, xenon headlights, premium package, cold weather package, premium sound, a $59K+ car, if new. The dealer is selling it for $48.9K. That's like $5K less than invoice. Why would the original dealer get rid of such a popular car at such a low price to make this possible? I saw it yesterday and in every appearance it is a new car. It even had the original dealership stickers.

I'm not sold on a MT vs. SMG because of the laziness of using a SMG in bumper-to-bumper traffic. But, >$10K off a "new" 2006 M3 is almost too good to pass up. But, as in most things, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Could the car have been trashed somehow in the fisrt 1,400 miles?

So, why would a car like this end up in a used car lot for such a huge discount? I asked the salesperson, who responded, "Look, I just sell them. I (I assume he meant the dealership) sell 600 cars per month, and I couldn't possibly know all the reasons why all the cars end up here."

They said the car would have BMW's 4-year, 50K mile warranty and maintenance program. Their sticker, though, said 'Mfg. 4-year, 50K mile warranty or 3-month, 1K mile warranty, whichever came first.' Will BMW honor the warranty and maintenance program?

What should I look our for here, so I don't end up penny-wise and pound foolish? How is such a deal possible?

Thanks.

·
Carbon Fiber & M3 Fanatic
52 Posts
Sounds like a fabulous deal. Im paying 55k for an 05.. same package. 19" wheels? That's probably more than 5k less than invoice. Did you check carfax with the VIN? Is it a not-so-popular color or something? Weird...

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
jzexport said:
I'm a 2003 330i owner that's been thinking about buying a M3 or a 335i. A used car dealership 70 miles from me has a 2006 M3 with 1,400 miles, MT, nav sys, xenon headlights, premium package, cold weather package, premium sound, a $59K+ car, if new. The dealer is selling it for $48.9K. That's like $5K less than invoice. Why would the original dealer get rid of such a popular car at such a low price to make this possible? I saw it yesterday and in every appearance it is a new car. It even had the original dealership stickers.

I'm not sold on a MT vs. SMG because of the laziness of using a SMG in bumper-to-bumper traffic. But, >$10K off a "new" 2006 M3 is almost too good to pass up. But, as in most things, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Could the car have been trashed somehow in the fisrt 1,400 miles?

So, why would a car like this end up in a used car lot for such a huge discount? I asked the salesperson, who responded, "Look, I just sell them. I (I assume he meant the dealership) sell 600 cars per month, and I couldn't possibly know all the reasons why all the cars end up here."

They said the car would have BMW's 4-year, 50K mile warranty and maintenance program. Their sticker, though, said 'Mfg. 4-year, 50K mile warranty or 3-month, 1K mile warranty, whichever came first.' Will BMW honor the warranty and maintenance program?

What should I look our for here, so I don't end up penny-wise and pound foolish? How is such a deal possible?

Thanks.
I would check it out. Could be a lemon law buy back, or could have been wrecked. Get the VIN and contact a dealer. Also have the car inspected by an indy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses and suggestions. The color is black and the car has the 19 inch wheel option. I don't know if it is the mettalic black. When I try to do a Carfax on the VIN, I am told it is invaild. So, I need to get with the dealer about that. I will let you all know.

·
Registered
275 Posts
1400 mile 2006, I doubt someone traded it in unless it was wrecked pretty hard, hard enough to cause frame or unibody damage. You hear of people selling their cars after a wreck because it doesn't feel the same anymore. Or it could have been a repo. Or it could have been some rich guy that saw something he liked better and decided what the hell, just trade it. You are right though, seems too cheap. Why not price it on the low end of it at $52,995? Just seems really cheap. Like you said, if it seems too good to be true . . . The most worisome part is how the salesperson answered your query on why the car was there. The salesperson could have easily asked a manager for more information, but he chose not to, why? This is especially worrisome since your only hang up on buying the car seems to be why it's priced so low and why the car, a super low mile 2006, is already on a used car lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to the dealer today, who told me they bought the car locally from "an old guy who didn't like it." I ran the VIN through AutoCheck and they have a perfect record for it. I guess it's time to go back and talk trade-in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts