Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1996 318ti and was wondering if anybody had any experience swapping a M3 engine into cars like mine

I want to know everything i need to know to do this from where to find a engine , to what else i need besides the engine itself

I've seen people put a damn LS1 into the small 318ti so i know a 3.2l can fit and seen it myself

A euro engine is preferred but a Usdm will do, also the transmission i need if i NEED a new one to handle the power

Any help is appreciated to help me build my sleeper/dream car!! Thanks

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
Do some searching online. This swap has been done many times. And I'm not trying to be rude, but if you have to ask for step by step instructions for something like this, including where to even find an engine, I don't know that you have any business even attempting to perform an engine swap yourself. There would be a 99% chance that you get things torn apart and then lose your way and then have to pay someone else to finish the job for you.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude - just realistic. Engine swaps are not for beginners, they are for experts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help on my 318ti

I own a 1996 318ti and want to know if i should start building the stock M44 engine for a turbo...or if i should just swap it out all together

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do some searching online. This swap has been done many times. And I'm not trying to be rude, but if you have to ask for step by step instructions for something like this, including where to even find an engine, I don't know that you have any business even attempting to perform an engine swap yourself. There would be a 99% chance that you get things torn apart and then lose your way and then have to pay someone else to finish the job for you.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude - just realistic. Engine swaps are not for beginners, they are for experts.

+1 to this, don't be discouraged by that though. You can learn over time.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check your local euro auto dismantlers. I have to agree with the advice so far. I have done a lot of engine swaps into pre emission cars and it is already a lot of work. Never done a modern engine swap but I can just imagine it being 3-4 times harder to do will all the crap they have on them. My best advice for you is do as much research as you can before going down this road. You can end up way over your head and with empty pockets $$$

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,249 Posts
I merged your two threads into one, and deleted the third, identical thread.

·
E36 addict since 1992
312 Posts
Forget going forced induction and just do the swap. You'll save tons of money and headaches trying to tune your car for every season there is. Just go with an S50 (plenty on Craigslist for under $1,700), pay your garage the $800 or so for the labour and call it a day. Tons of info in archives. A quick search should render a plethora of results. Good luck!

EDIT: If you must build your M44, there are supercharger kits available that's specifically designed for your engine readily available from some of our sponsors. Again, maximum use of the search function should be able to help you immensely.

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
I don't know of any manufacturer who makes a supercharger kit for the 318 these days. Downing Atlanta used to make one years ago, but not anymore. If he swaps to an S50/S52, he'd also want to switch to the stronger ZF transmission (which would necessitate a new clutch assembly, and maybe a 328 or M3 master cylinder?), and medium-case differential with LSD (which I believe would have to come from an E30). I also don't know if there would be concerns related to the driveshaft length when using that engine/trans combo in the hatchback body. And there are other odds and ends which add up. It becomes a fairly involved project in the end.

But I agree that forced induction can be a headache and that 240hp in a little hatchback can be a total riot. A track instructor here has done this swap in his E36 ti and his car totally rips.

·
Registered
12,382 Posts
lots more info on swaps in the ti over at 318ti.org, but that being said,

the diff will ned to be either from an e30 (6 cyl) or e28. both offered lsd variants, and the cover willneed to be swapped on the e28 version, iirc.

the driveshaft length is different for the compact (hatchback), so a manual driveshaft would be needed. if one has enough driveshafts, it may be possible to cobble one together, but there seems to be quite a bit of grey area in this department. part of the reason may be due to there being multiple driveshafts for the e36 applications, be they getrag, zf, coupe, sedan, and whatnot, as well as some 'adjustability' to the driveshaft at the compresson nut. in some cases i have read on the interwebz this adjustment has been extended out to about 10mm in order to 'fit' a driveshaft to the hatchback.

since i already have a manual driveshaft i cannot state as to whether or not any of these claims are true or not.

used superchargers for the 4 bangers are still out there, but at higher prices and most in need of some sort of overhaul. downing atlanta no longer makes the direct bolt on kit, and i do not know of any others that are planning on doing so.

when doing the sewap you will need the harness for whatever 6 cylinder application you are using as these only came with the 4 cylinders in the north american market. that being said, there are some companies out there that could reflash an obd2 dme to delete the obd2 compliance and run as an obd1 application. research these well before committing as ymmv.

on mine i am doing an m52 swap with a 413 red label dme, with m50 style crank and knock sensors, as i have an m50 wiring harness, 3.25:1 lsd from an e28 (1988 535i), and 5 spd.

pretty much everything else will be stock.

df

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
DF, you'll like this... Check out this '96 318ti that is for sale a few miles away from me. It's the ultimate ti conversion, and the conversion was performed when the car was brand new (using a brand new S50 as the swapped engine). Pretty wild. Not cheap, though...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4942664316.html

·
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
23,452 Posts
280HP from a S50 with bolt ons and not even cams? Um.... yeah no.

Also for $15k it better please me in the bedroom too.
I dunno. It's a mint-condition, one-owner, 51k M3 killer with awesome parts. It terms of smiles per dollar, I think it's worth the price.

·
Registered
12,712 Posts
DF, you'll like this... Check out this '96 318ti that is for sale a few miles away from me. It's the ultimate ti conversion, and the conversion was performed when the car was brand new (using a brand new S50 as the swapped engine). Pretty wild. Not cheap, though...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/4942664316.html
That car is worth every penny he's asking for it. No way you could find a ti in that kind of mint condition, find a motor with that low miles and get a quality swap like that along with all the other mods for $15k.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
That car is worth every penny he's asking for it. No way you could find a ti in that kind of mint condition, find a motor with that low miles and get a quality swap like that along with all the other mods for $15k.
But it would not pass a NY inspection. He put a OBD-I engine in a car that came with OBD-II form the factory and the ad made no mention of it being converted to OBD-II. It seems like such a silly oversight for a car that was moded right after it left the dealer's lot. Also I don't know why he bother keeping the cat.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,249 Posts
I can't imagine the car wasn't converted right, and would pass inspection anywhere, including CA or NY. THAT'S why they kept the cat, so it WOULD pass.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I can't imagine the car wasn't converted right, and would pass inspection anywhere, including CA or NY. THAT'S why they kept the cat, so it WOULD pass.
Whether or not the car has a cat is irrelevant in NY or any where else that just hooks up a OBD-II scanner to your car for the emission inspection. I emailed the seller and it sounds like the car is ether in a county that does not do emission inceptions or the inception place is looking the other way and letting him run a OBD-I inspection on his car. I read the WA DMV website and in the counties that do emission inspections, it is just like NY. Any car made in 1996 or after is hook up to a OBD-II scanner and checked for fault codes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts