BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet almost everyone on this board (I'm sorry TD I did say *almost*) has their dream M3 already configured "in their mind's eyes" as old William would put it. I want to know what color you chose and why?

I've always thought that if I was ever to do it, it would be an imola red but now I am really leaning towards steel gray. The funny thing is that I never really liked this color per se and never even considered it for my 330i. Not only it is practical but I thing M looks great in it, as if it was carved out of one piece of steel (I think it is a great color for a coupe in general) and all the silver metal elements of the body as well as the rims flow very nice with this color. The interior would obviously have to be black.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Michael330 said:
I bet almost everyone on this board (I'm sorry TD I did say *almost*) has their dream M3 already configured "in their mind's eyes" as old William would put it. I want to know what color you chose and why?

I've always thought that if I was ever to do it, it would be an imola red but now I am really leaning towards steel gray. The funny thing is that I never really liked this color per se and never even considered it for my 330i. Not only it is practical but I thing M looks great in it, as if it was carved out of one piece of steel (I think it is a great color for a coupe in general) and all the silver metal elements of the body as well as the rims flow very nice with this color. The interior would obviously have to be black.
In the "normal" colors, it would be Carbon Black and either M cloth or Cinnamon. Second would be steel grey/M cloth.

In the special order colors, it would be Estoril/black.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
I recall a statement (by a previous Ferrari CEO, I think) that associates (exotic) car colors with women type:
red <-> sensuous, sexy
black <-> misterious, mistress
yellow <-> beautiful, blond
white <-> virgin

Note that in most of the world, being virgin is a desirable, laudable, respectable and highly sought after attribute for a young single woman.
In US it has bad connotations and something to laugh about, especially in high school. :dunno:

Oh, my choice: White/Cinamon

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts
Of the regular colors, Carbon Black with black leather or standard seats.

Of the Individual colors, Avus Blue with black leather or standard seats. Mmmm, Avus. The sole reason why I'd buy a '95 M3.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You forgot

What about Titanium Silver??

Silver -- classy!

and it's coming next month!! can't wait...

I ordered a M3 Coupe:
- Titanium Silver/Black interior
- 6-speed manual
- Premium Package (Power Seats, Moonroof, Nappa Leather)
- Heated Seats
- Xenon Lights
- Navigation System
- Harmon-Kardon Sound System

That alone, after taxes, is less than 2K shy of 60K! A special color will add 1800-2000 to the pricetag and 6-8 weeks more build time. :tsk:

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Re: You forgot

Impulss said:
What about Titanium Silver??
Silver -- classy!
I don't think Ferraris come in Silver. :p

·
Registered
122 Posts
Reason for my color choices (CB/Cinn):
I always wanted to own a black car, but never had the nerve to face cleaning all the time (can you say 'an_l?'). I figured, since this is my first M and I'll be obsessing over it anyway, why not go the whole 9 yards? Finally, I knew it would have to be a M-unique color, so it had to be Carbon Black over Jet Black.
As for the interior, I think a contrast to the exterior looks better, especially on convertibles, so it had to be a light color. Adding the M-unique requirement had me choosing between the imola red and cinnamon, and I went with cinn because I thought the red might fade more, plus some folks might confuse it with tanin red - but this choice was tough!

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Go to a track day and most M3s are TiSilver. The next most common color is Black of one form or another. Then comes Imola Red.

Every one I have seen on the road has been TiSIlver or Black.

So, follow the crowd and get TiSilver or Black, or be individual.

The one color I have never seen on an M3 in the flesh is Oxford Green. And I bet it looks MAVELOUS.

But the best color (non-special order) is Topaz Blue. But I may be a bit prejudiced since there is a Topaz Blue M3 in my driveway. :flipoff:

Of the special order colors, Avus Blue or Lemans Blue (I heard available for '03) would be my first choices. Orient Blue might be nice also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A great way to see all the colors up-close and personal, and next to each other, is at an M meet in your area. I had the opportunity to go to one last weekend, and it was great for color shopping. :)

It confirmed my selection of Steel Grey. Topaz is also very nice if you're into it, but it's a little too non-metallic and, well, blue for me. I haven't personally seen enough of the "special" colors to comment, but there are some very nice potential candidates there if you get the chance to see them IRL and don't mind the $.

I'm going with the black leather, all my cars have been black inside, and I love it. If you have the guts, I saw a SG/Imola that was really very nice -- looks much better in person than in pictures. A little too much for me, but I admired it nonetheless.

Haven't seen the M-accent cloth in person, but my GF immediately put the kibosh on it with the "airplane seat" argument. I can't say I entirely disagreed, though I might have been able to overlook it. :) If plain black alcantara was an option, I would have gotten that in a heartbeat.

Alex

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
We went with the gray interior. Much lighter and more open feeling than the black. And you get a three toned effect. The upper part of the dassh and some other trim is still black, then you get the gray in the lower dash, and they the titanium (or aluminum) trim in in between. Add a set of black mats versus gray and you get an awesome look. And much cooler in the summer. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts