Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Running around in circles
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am seriously considering the X2 M35i as my next car and will probably order in the fall for a 2021 build. I just wanted to ask how you like your rides? Any issues or problems? What do you like most about it? Or don't like about it?
Would like to hear your thoughts, comments, and experiences with the car.
TIA :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well you opened yourself up to a lot of long posts :rofl:

I drive a 2019, first automatic transmission car in a long while that I new I was keeping and wasn't under the gun to make a quick choice. So to begin I love the car. previous vehicles included 2013 stock 335 stick, 2008 and 2010 Acura TSX (2010 was a stick) 3 Saabs, 9 3, 2 900 S sticks, Volvo S70 T5 stick (96) Celica GT from a long time ago a first new car was a firebird with a 350 engine (auto no stick allowed should have got the camaro)

Anyway I like reasonably fast cars and usually practicality wasn't a huge concern (Mrs. rounderman insists on 4 doors and safety features) so On to the M35. The car is fast, handles great, very comfortable (I have sport seats) and can hold more than you expect. Hits a lot of the buttons. I did around 8 hours in the car last weekend with only a couple stops (dumb on my part) I have a bad back and wasn't too crippled when I was done :(

I did 32+ MPG overall which included a quick run in and out of NYC as part of the trip. I don't ever use Eco Pro I only drive in sport and for long trips comfort. I have DDC and I opted for heated steering wheel so no active cruise control. Premium (love the HUD), HK stereo (old ears so who knows, and roof. are the main options.

I am older so getting in and out of a low car while not problematic, I really appreciate the seat height on the car.

Overall I am thrilled with the car 1 plus years in. My only complaints are minor It does not have nor will my model ever get android auto minor complaint but mildly annoying. I listen to XM mostly anyway but still. Mrs. rounderman is very annoyed that it doesn't have blind spot and even though I have my mirrors properly adjusted (for my taste) she will make that an issue when my lease is up in 2 years. after almost 38 years together I listen to her issues and do my best to fix the problem when I can :D

I have had 1 real problem which was a minor pain given the current world situation. the passenger air bag sensors in the seat and the control module had to be replaced. overall in 2 separate instances the car was at the dealer waiting for parts for about a month. They gave me am X3M40 to drive so it was nice but not my car They will be doing either a check or a waived lease payment for my troubles. Otherwise the car has been pretty flawless and Rochester BMW has been a pleasure to work with.

To summarize, love the car, drive one you will end up buying (or leasing it). I like the seats, the power, handling, practicality and the general fun in driving the car. Based on your signature you know BMWs, I really don't miss the stick too much (occasionally) but the paddles work well, I rarely use them, the car seems to know what its doing

As I think there is one other issue which is a slight lag when you stomp the gas off the line which seems to be a BMW issue with a lot of ATs. I even had a little with my stick. I rarely stomp it off the line, but ease into the gas initially and I don't really see it. On the other board there is along thread about it and pedal tuners.

I really love the car, drive one and have fun, good hunting

·
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you opened yourself up to a lot of long posts :rofl:

I drive a 2019, first automatic transmission car in a long while that I new I was keeping and wasn't under the gun to make a quick choice. So to begin I love the car. previous vehicles included 2013 stock 335 stick, 2008 and 2010 Acura TSX (2010 was a stick) 3 Saabs, 9 3, 2 900 S sticks, Volvo S70 T5 stick (96) Celica GT from a long time ago a first new car was a firebird with a 350 engine (auto no stick allowed should have got the camaro)

Anyway I like reasonably fast cars and usually practicality wasn't a huge concern (Mrs. rounderman insists on 4 doors and safety features) so On to the M35. The car is fast, handles great, very comfortable (I have sport seats) and can hold more than you expect. Hits a lot of the buttons. I did around 8 hours in the car last weekend with only a couple stops (dumb on my part) I have a bad back and wasn't too crippled when I was done :(

I did 32+ MPG overall which included a quick run in and out of NYC as part of the trip. I don't ever use Eco Pro I only drive in sport and for long trips comfort. I have DDC and I opted for heated steering wheel so no active cruise control. Premium (love the HUD), HK stereo (old ears so who knows, and roof. are the main options.

I am older so getting in and out of a low car while not problematic, I really appreciate the seat height on the car.

Overall I am thrilled with the car 1 plus years in. My only complaints are minor It does not have nor will my model ever get android auto minor complaint but mildly annoying. I listen to XM mostly anyway but still. Mrs. rounderman is very annoyed that it doesn't have blind spot and even though I have my mirrors properly adjusted (for my taste) she will make that an issue when my lease is up in 2 years. after almost 38 years together I listen to her issues and do my best to fix the problem when I can :D

I have had 1 real problem which was a minor pain given the current world situation. the passenger air bag sensors in the seat and the control module had to be replaced. overall in 2 separate instances the car was at the dealer waiting for parts for about a month. They gave me am X3M40 to drive so it was nice but not my car They will be doing either a check or a waived lease payment for my troubles. Otherwise the car has been pretty flawless and Rochester BMW has been a pleasure to work with.

To summarize, love the car, drive one you will end up buying (or leasing it). I like the seats, the power, handling, practicality and the general fun in driving the car. Based on your signature you know BMWs, I really don't miss the stick too much (occasionally) but the paddles work well, I rarely use them, the car seems to know what its doing

As I think there is one other issue which is a slight lag when you stomp the gas off the line which seems to be a BMW issue with a lot of ATs. I even had a little with my stick. I rarely stomp it off the line, but ease into the gas initially and I don't really see it. On the other board there is along thread about it and pedal tuners.

I really love the car, drive one and have fun, good hunting
Thanks for your comments and sharing. I'm leaning heavily into that direction. I was looking at an S3 (gasp!) but sanity prevailed and I am passing on it :rofl: Also thinking of M240i but the X2 will provide better flexibility with daily life as well as still get my blood flowing. The only problem is pickings are slim and hard to find one with the options I want so I am going to just wait for the 2021 model and build it. Small sacrifice but it'll be better. Also the LCI might come out this year too. Hopefully it will have blind spot sensors too but if not, no worries, I can still turn my head ;-)

My only hard decision now will be what color?

Best of luck with yours and stay safe!

·
Registered
295 Posts
My extremely better half suggested stealth gray so we blend in with all the other small SUVs on the road, I did that but the lava red (really orange) seats, The blue is really outstanding, after that it is your choice it is clear you like bright colors and they have some really pretty ones. I have a few pics in my profile for real world look at the seats

Right back at you, stay safe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really happy with my M35i, it's fast, comfortable, gets amazing gas mileage for the power it has, holds a lot of cargo, etc.

I went with the dark grey too, even though initially I was all about the bright blue. We take ours offroad a lot to get to trailheads, and the blue just stood out to much to me in that situation. I've had a few breaks ins on the past with other cars, didn't want to make it super obvious there was a nice BMW in the woods from half mile away :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi Guys,

We're all on the other forum, but I am on a lot of them :) As stated.. not many downsides if you like the look of the car and less visibility. It certainly doesn't affect me, and all the m35i bits are MUCH nicer than the 28i engines that puts it in a whole new class. Throttle pedal is a little annoying, band aid fixed a bit. I wish they updated the idrive to match the newer cars.. little things like even the surround view camera is not available. The m235i was also on my list, but I had a bad back blowout early last year and I'm with rounderman, the seat height makes such a difference that I could not look at the other options. (I was looking at the m235i and the 435/440 cars...) The X3 m340 is MUCH nicer motor/power wise than the 28i model, but the X3 still to me feels a little bloated and big, I have my minivan for that.

Here's a new tip though.. I just got my reminder that the Ultimate Driving Experience is coming back around. They usually do this once a year, if you sign up and "buy" a new BMW within a month or so of attending they knock off a big chunk of money, I think it was $1750? I stacked a lot of deals together on my m35i for a price I couldn't refuse a dealer stocked one.. I chose the Misano Blue, which gets my heart pumping every time I look at it. "Boy that is REALLY BLUE". Grey with red looks very nice, as with the White with Red inside. It depends on what you're used to or want. I liked the white one in stock (optioned pretty much how I would have wanted) But we already have an X1 Msport and they just looked too alike side by side and I couldn't do it. By picking something in stock it probably saved me another $2K on top (and the price difference of the options). Plus time and waiting and all the deals expiring....

·
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My extremely better half suggested stealth gray so we blend in with all the other small SUVs on the road, I did that but the lava red (really orange) seats, The blue is really outstanding, after that it is your choice it is clear you like bright colors and they have some really pretty ones. I have a few pics in my profile for real world look at the seats

Right back at you, stay safe
Haha the brighter the better lol. I wish they made the M colors available for this car, I'd opt for Imola Red or Phoenix Yellow :D Will probably go with Sunset Orange or Galvanic Gold. I think 2021 is an LCI year. Spoke to my CA and she says she has 2021MY info. Will visit her next week to place an order or at least get my build finalized :bigpimp:

Really happy with my M35i, it's fast, comfortable, gets amazing gas mileage for the power it has, holds a lot of cargo, etc.

I went with the dark grey too, even though initially I was all about the bright blue. We take ours offroad a lot to get to trailheads, and the blue just stood out to much to me in that situation. I've had a few breaks ins on the past with other cars, didn't want to make it super obvious there was a nice BMW in the woods from half mile away :)
Haha I love the Misano Blue as well but yes, you will stick out in the woods lol

Hi Guys,

We're all on the other forum, but I am on a lot of them :) As stated.. not many downsides if you like the look of the car and less visibility. It certainly doesn't affect me, and all the m35i bits are MUCH nicer than the 28i engines that puts it in a whole new class. Throttle pedal is a little annoying, band aid fixed a bit. I wish they updated the idrive to match the newer cars.. little things like even the surround view camera is not available. The m235i was also on my list, but I had a bad back blowout early last year and I'm with rounderman, the seat height makes such a difference that I could not look at the other options. (I was looking at the m235i and the 435/440 cars...) The X3 m340 is MUCH nicer motor/power wise than the 28i model, but the X3 still to me feels a little bloated and big, I have my minivan for that.

Here's a new tip though.. I just got my reminder that the Ultimate Driving Experience is coming back around. They usually do this once a year, if you sign up and "buy" a new BMW within a month or so of attending they knock off a big chunk of money, I think it was $1750? I stacked a lot of deals together on my m35i for a price I couldn't refuse a dealer stocked one.. I chose the Misano Blue, which gets my heart pumping every time I look at it. "Boy that is REALLY BLUE". Grey with red looks very nice, as with the White with Red inside. It depends on what you're used to or want. I liked the white one in stock (optioned pretty much how I would have wanted) But we already have an X1 Msport and they just looked too alike side by side and I couldn't do it. By picking something in stock it probably saved me another $2K on top (and the price difference of the options). Plus time and waiting and all the deals expiring....
Thanks! Yes, I did get an email recently about the Ultimate Drive. I'll keep an eye out for any events near me. $1750 is nothing to sneeze at :)

·
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the 20" rims but I just found out there are no All Season tires in that size so if I get them, the car will be useless in extreme cold and if there is as much as half an inch of snow on the ground :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like the 20" rims but I just found out there are no All Season tires in that size so if I get them, the car will be useless in extreme cold and if there is as much as half an inch of snow on the ground :thumbdwn:
obviously you can go with 2 sets. This is the first car I have daily driven ever without a second set of snow tires (mounted of course) ever (been driving over 50 years)

I like the 19" wheels myself. Plus DDC is only available with the 19s and I can really feel a difference after a couple of 700 mile runs 2 weeks apart.

Good luck with the hunt, I personally really like spending other folks money so load that baby up 🤣

·
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I did it and got myself one :) Mineral Gray with almost all the options I want, save for the HK stereo which , I actually don't miss that much. Stock sound is pretty adequate plus I hear the exhaust notes much clearer :-D My one biggest peeve is the absence of all season tires in 225/40 20". Trying to weigh my options on whether to get a new set of rims/tires or go 235/40 20" A/S or get a set of snow tires. However, one thing I would like is to get a spare tire and I have researched the size and item number available for the X2 but I am not 100% sure it will fit the M35i brakes and calipers. Does anyone know? TIA :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
No sir.. Not confirmed but very very highly unlikely. A couple people in a few forums have thought the same too.. Unless the mini spare was a special shape like the Mercedes ones.. No way. Which someone came up with that idea, I'd look for a special Mercedes spare to see if it will work. I personally tried my wife's stock 18" x1 wheels and it just barely clears the brakes. And the X1/x2's non m brakes are much much smaller.

Congrats on your new ride!

·
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No sir.. Not confirmed but very very highly unlikely. A couple people in a few forums have thought the same too.. Unless the mini spare was a special shape like the Mercedes ones.. No way. Which someone came up with that idea, I'd look for a special Mercedes spare to see if it will work. I personally tried my wife's stock 18" x1 wheels and it just barely clears the brakes. And the X1/x2's non m brakes are much much smaller.

Congrats on your new ride!
Thanks! Will continue to research and share what I find out here. I have a friend at BMWNA and will ask for his help. HAGWE

·
Registered
22 Posts
I too appreciate everyones input. Although I'm considering a 2020 xDrive28i many of the comments I believe still apply (especially the older driver related).

·
Registered
295 Posts
As an older driver 😜 make sure you try the seats, I tweaked my back again this past weekend and I was quite comfortable in the M seats going to work this morning it was a short but not painful ride. the height is good too. I also feel much younger when my right foot pushes down and the car just flies.

Good luck with the hunt and pictures if you buy

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is going to sound like a very strange criteria, but I do a fair amount of small-project woodworking.

I presume no X2 issues loading say a 2'x4' project size piece of plywood and a very occasional angled couple 8 foot 2"x4"s? Rear seats dropped of course and thick towel protecting console.

·
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is going to sound like a very strange criteria, but I do a fair amount of small-project woodworking.

I presume no X2 issues loading say a 2'x4' project size piece of plywood and a very occasional angled couple 8 foot 2"x4"s? Rear seats dropped of course and thick towel protecting console.
I don't see a problem in either scenario. Just make sure you protect that beautiful interior :)

Reactions: Huey52

·
Registered
416 Posts
The 8ft long 2X4 might be interesting.. I might let it hang out a little more out of the back and bungee cord it down vs risk that 2X4 breaking the idrive screen. I'm not sure how far back the bucket seats recline for it to go over it. 2ftX4ft might have to go angled in the back but still totally do-able.

·
Retired
340 Posts
Just ordered a Nov production m35i:
sunset orange-oyster sensitec interior
20” double spoke
premium pkg

should be a great xmas

·
Registered
295 Posts
Keep us posted on how it goes and Pics of course on the happy day, the render looks gorgeous. It is a truly fun car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts