BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting rid of my 335 and getting into an M4, ordered with the black 19" wheels. The 335 has the sport package and optional (cast) 230 wheels. I think I cracked and repaired or replaced 5 of them since 2008 in 123k miles. I even tossed the run flats after the first set at 35k miles, but I still had problems. I live in the Bay Area where the roads are generally good, and I'm super careful. Will I have the same problems with the (forged) M4 19" wheels? Has anyone broken or bent many? Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
How have you had so many problems if you are careful and the roads are good?

I have never had issues with BMW wheels and Im in the northeast that has potholes and crap pavement galore. I think you will be fine as long as you try to avoid things.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wheel repair guy told me that most of the BMWs, Audis, and M-Bs have wheel problems with the larger wheels and lower profile tires. But I think those 230 wheels are particularly weak and probably a bad design. I'm hoping that the forged wheels on my M4 will give me fewer problems, especially because they are far more expensive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The wheel repair guy told me that most of the BMWs, Audis, and M-Bs have wheel problems with the larger wheels and lower profile tires. But I think those 230 wheels are particularly weak and probably a bad design. I'm hoping that the forged wheels on my M4 will give me fewer problems, especially because they are far more expensive.
I have had 3 different BMW since 2003 to present, never had a rim crack. you are a statistical anomaly and likely will have issues with the rims on the M. I dont know what the streets are like where you are, or how you are driving it but something has to be on the roads you travel to crack 5 of them. my guess is you hit the same spot or something on a road...dunno man but sounds a bit odd. your mechanic is kind of full of it. My wife had a Jag with super low profile tires, hit a pothole, blew out the tire sidewall...rim was fine. tire should give before rim does.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The M wheels are forged so in theory, they should be stronger in comparison to the cast wheels on your 335i. However, that is not to say that they're indestructible. Definitely still be weary of pot holes!

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,385 Posts
I'm getting rid of my 335 and getting into an M4, ordered with the black 19" wheels. The 335 has the sport package and optional (cast) 230 wheels. I think I cracked and repaired or replaced 5 of them since 2008 in 123k miles. I even tossed the run flats after the first set at 35k miles, but I still had problems. I live in the Bay Area where the roads are generally good, and I'm super careful. Will I have the same problems with the (forged) M4 19" wheels? Has anyone broken or bent many? Thanks.
Ahhhh yes, the "pothole explosions"

I typed this up on my Smartphone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Will I have the same problems with the (forged) M4 19" wheels?
Probably not. Wasn't that the wheel was weak so much as that the suspension was badly designed. A first production effort specifically for runflats, it lacked compliance for road irregularities and camber under articulation. Different shocks solved the problem, which BMW did not provide until 2011, the 6th year of E9x production.

M Division suspension design, though mostly a simple bolt-on for E9x, improved performance and was made for Michelin PS2, later PSS, non-runflat tires. My own M3 parts addition with non-runflats and Koni Yellows solved both the 'pothole explosion' issue, and tire/rim damage occurrence, of which there were none after mods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts