Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with the M40: The Sport seats seem harder than the seats in other vehicles such as the X5. How comfortable are the seats for long distances?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not too bad, but I'm still trying to get them adjusted the exact way that I want.

Truth be told, the most comfortable, yet sporty seats I've ever had were in my 1987 BMW 535is.

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
Uh, there are two (2) different seats for the X3: regular seats w/adjustable bolsters and ventilated seats w/o adjustable bolsters. People have said that the ventilated seats are stiffer, but I've never sat in one. I have regular seats, and I think they're fine. However, the longest I've sat in them is around 2.5-3 hours. I've also never sat in an X5.

·
Registered
10,671 Posts
After sitting in a car several hours at a time, you realize that harder seats are better. The problem is that most first-time German luxury car buyers are coming from an Asian or American car with soft seats. The sit in a German car for a few minutes in a showroom or dealer lot and are scared of the hard seats. The new G01 5 Series has softer seat padding than the F10 had. The marketing dweebs won out over the human factors engineers at BMW.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
To be fair....seats are a personal fit. Everyone has a different back. Sit and test before buying.

I have vented seats. I like the comfort of them. The ventilated aspect is worthless.

·
Stuart in Houston
649 Posts
For those with the M40: The Sport seats seem harder than the seats in other vehicles such as the X5. How comfortable are the seats for long distances?
They're okay. Not wonderful, but tolerable.

I came from an F10 5 Series -- a 2016 550i with Sport Seats, so that is my comparison. They were very comfortable seats, both for handling & driving. I find my m40i (non-vent) to be harder. Not harder like better, just less comfortable harder.

I drive 100+ miles twice a week, every week. The m40i is not uncomfortable, just not as good as it could be.

·
Registered
687 Posts
To be fair....seats are a personal fit. Everyone has a different back. Sit and test before buying.

I have vented seats. I like the comfort of them. The ventilated aspect is worthless.
Good advise Whitex on the ventilated aspect on those seats for anyone in the market. :angel: In other words, don't get them and go with the regular sport seats with the side bolsters! :thumbup:The vent seats sound like a good idea especially in Fla but they don't work the way they should.:thumbdwn:

Merry Christmas,
Joe:)

·
Registered
899 Posts

We are in the same boat. We got the ventilated seats in our 2019 for the comfort (for us). To be honest, I haven't tried the ventilated feature yet, but based on previous cars with them, my expectations aren't too high.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The G01 ventilated seats work much better than in the F10 5 Series.
Maybe I have reason to be more optimistic. I'd go test the ventilation, but it's 35 degrees here right now. 50's coming up in a few days I'll check them out then. Tks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a F15 X5 with the M sport seats, and have an G01 X3 M40i with the non ventilated sport seats. I have taken both on a long road trip (1200 miles one way) and while the X5 was slightly more comfortable, the X3 is fine. The harder seats are way more comfortable for long stretches of drive time, the thigh extender is a must and I prefer the M Sport seats to anything that I have had. I had a ‘17 Audi S6 with the Audi Sport seats, and they were no where near as nice. Of course comfort is subjective, but this is what I have found personally.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
763 Posts
I***8217;ve tried both the ventilated and regular m40 seats for about 5 days each. The ventilated seats were in about July when I used it as a loaner and at about the 4th day of commuting they started to seem too hard to me. No consider I was driving an 07 X3 with the standard seats so I know a firmer seat bottom. Recently I just ended up getting an m40i with the standard leather seats and they are better cushioned than the ventilated seats. Concerning the ventilated seats they didn***8217;t seem to me to cool much and the fans made a lot of noise, I was driving it on a standard Chicago 90 degree sunny day and my commute is into the sun both ways.

·
Uber Olive Brain
169 Posts
Am I missing something? WTH is an M40??
Wut? The BMW X3 has three (3) major variants:
  • sDrive30i. RWD variant. I don't think I've seen anyone here with one, but I'm sure someone has one.

• xDrive30i, often shortened here to "x30i". AWD 4-banger turbo. A few people here have one, myself included.

• M40i. AWD I6 turbo. Fast fast car. Most people here have one.
In the future, there will also be an X3M.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like the ventilated seats myself, but I live in the desert where 100+ heat is common in the summer. The ventilation effect becomes much more apparent when your back is a bit sweaty from the heat. They're way less noisy if you set them to 2 clicks.

I find the firmness good, but I do miss the side bolsters.

·
Registered
2018 X3 xDrive30i (sold), 2018 Model 3, 2021 X5 xDrive45e (on the train)
142 Posts
After sitting in a car several hours at a time, you realize that harder seats are better. The problem is that most first-time German luxury car buyers are coming from an Asian or American car with soft seats. The sit in a German car for a few minutes in a showroom or dealer lot and are scared of the hard seats. The new G01 5 Series has softer seat padding than the F10 had. The marketing dweebs won out over the human factors engineers at BMW.
That's what I keep telling myself. That the Germans have autobahns and the firmness is intentional.

But 6+ hours from NorCal to SoCal (and back) has confirmed that the seats in this X3 are WAY too hard. Especially the thigh bolsters which REALLY dig into my legs (and I'm not exactly large). I don't remember my old E46's sports seats being this hard or uncomfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the ventilated seats, and they are firm. When adjusted just right they are tolerable, but not ideal. I have ordered sheepskin covers from Shear Comfort with the idea that a little extra coziness will help with comfort during long drives. It’s been years since I had sheepskins, and I remember them as being comfortable, especially in the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have venitlaed and they don't have side bolstering. they're growing on me tho, especially in the hot south.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts