Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently drive an x3 35i and the x3 m40i has really caught my eye. Love the design and interior compared with my car. My current car is a standard x3 35i (without msport package, adaptive suspension, sport seats, bigger wheels etc). 2 things I've really come to appreciate, however, are the super comfortable standard seats (i can go for hours with no fatigue) and the excellent ride quality (even over terrible roads). I'd go so far as to say the seats are the best seats i've had in a car (and that includes the 5 series multicontour seats I had previously).

For anyone who had the previous gen car, could you provide your thoughts on ride and seat comfort in comparison? From what I've gathered so far, the non-ventilated seats are the way to go, and I'd likely pick the base wheels with the adaptive suspension.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
the non-ventilated seats are the way to go, and I'd likely pick the base wheels with the adaptive suspension.
Seats are a personal choice. I liked the non sport in my 2014. The 40i is substantially larger than the last generation. Test drive thoroughly. Yes to base wheels and adaptive suspension. The 40i is an experience. It lights up real fast. It's a sleeper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seat comfort is really good in my 2018 m40i. Love the thigh support. I've owned all the flavors of X3s over the years and as far as I can remember, all were comfortable. As far as ride quality, the m40i is not a smooth ride for cruising around town. It's a sporty stiffer ride. Fun for me, maybe not for others. It did ride well on a recent 300-mile highway trip. Definitely test drive thoroughly as mentioned above.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just replaced my 2014 x3 35i m-sport with all the packages except cold weather with the 2019 x3 M40i. Initially in my 2014 had RF tires then replaced with NRF tires. Here is my take. The driver’s seat in my 2014 felt more, substantial? The 2014 seats seemed to hold me in place better (5’6”, 190 lbs). The ride itself in terms of stability is comparable. There is a similar get up and go but the newer engine is more responsive and you can feel the additional power / torque. I am not complaining, it is simply an observation. What is kind of annoying to me is the auto stop feature. It just seems way too sensitive - engines turns off so quickly - to the point where it feels like the engine turns off even before I come to a complete stop - not true I know but it feels that way. When I turn on the auto hold feature, these two features together don’t seem to sync well.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have commented on this in other posts. I have a '13 X3 3.5 msport, that comes standard with sport seats, which I love. They are supple and supportive. Very comfortable on long trips. I have sat in a new m40i and find the seats to be firm to the point of being hard, and much less comfortable than my current car. I went straight from the dealer to my local Porsche dealer and sat in two Macans, one with 14-way seats and the other with 18-way seats. Either is miles ahead of the BMW seat, both in terms of adjustability, and more importantly, comfort. Best seats I have sat in, period. Given some back issues, the Macan will definitely be my next SUV.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm about a week into ownership of a '19 X3 M40i and I'm very happy with the car overall. However, I've noticed that the head rests, even when fully back, sit further forward than they should for you to be able to keep your head aligned with your spine. It forces you to keep your head forward. Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely agree Brando384. I've seen the same thing in many vehicles. Terrible headrest positions. Makes no sense. I deal with it by tilting the entire seat back to where the headrest is pretty close to where it should be. It took me about a month to get the seat just right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts