BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, i have a e46 318i with a m43b19TU engine, and i have some rattle problems on start. Whenever i start the engine i Can hear the chain rattle, and I want to change the timing chain tensioner and the 2 guides, one witch is straight and the other witch is slightly bent.
My question is, if I change the chain tensioner and the 2 guides, do I need the special tools to lock the camshafts? Or Is there a trick to do it without?

When I changed the tensioner, I didn’t use any special timing tools, and I just hope I won’t have to when I’m changing the guides too this time.

I have done the tensioner before, so I know how to do it, but the replacement one was very cheap so I think it’s failing again.

I have already ordered the parts, all original bmw so i won’t run in to this problem again for a while atleast

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
How many kilometers you have on your car? I was looking at those guide rails when I had about 180tkm on my M43, but they didn't look any worn compared to new which I had in my hand, so I didn't actually change them. Changed only that tensioner, and small guide piece under the crank shaft, which had little crack.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts