1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,729 Posts
Looks like the guys on Bimmerforums were able to help you. Like Kaptom 540 said, you probably have to adjust the plastic rails in your car. Loosen them until it fits by hand, then have a buddy tighten.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I just had an Umnitza bumper installed and I have the same problem. The bumper doesn't go all the way back flush with the wheel well arch. It's about a quarter inch short.

The pictures on Umnitza's website of various cars show that the bumper is flush to the wheel well arch. But it looks like a lot of people don't get the fitment that good.

Tried adjusting the bumper reinforcement and the slides on the side for the bumper, but to no avail. Everything else fits good, but it comes up a bit short.

So right now, I'm not particularly satisfied with the outcome. If coming up short on the arch is considered "normal", then that is really a disappointment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
But it looks like a lot of people don't get the fitment that good.

Tried adjusting the bumper reinforcement and the slides on the side for the bumper, but to no avail. Everything else fits good, but it comes up a bit short.
I agree that a lot of pictures show poor fitment. I also think a lot of people are doing this without fenderliners and engine cover and other parts. These are perhaps subtle in their impact on fitment, but I look at all the bumper screw-holes that would be unfilled installing it without the appropriate fenderliner and cover and think it looks pretty ugly and unsupported in some possibly important ways, and kind of wonder (with some trepidation) what the various body shops who've been doing some of these installs are doing about those gaps. Something pretty dodgy. I'm glad I've got the other parts, even though many say they are not needed.

Still, I'm surprised to hear that the slides on the side do not work. If they are moved in, the bumper necessarily moves in with them? Is the issue that they have been moved "in" as far as they will go and the bumper still sticks out, which is to say, the range of motion on those guides is inadequate to compensate? That would be pretty disappointing. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
993 Posts
I just had an Umnitza bumper installed and I have the same problem. The bumper doesn't go all the way back flush with the wheel well arch. It's about a quarter inch short.

The pictures on Umnitza's website of various cars show that the bumper is flush to the wheel well arch. But it looks like a lot of people don't get the fitment that good.

So right now, I'm not particularly satisfied with the outcome. If coming up short on the arch is considered "normal", then that is really a disappointment.
This is the thing that keeps holding me back from the umnitza/ddm tuning/eurodyne (I believe I remember hearing that they're all from the same place) bumper. That quarter inch short would drive me nuts every time I get into the car. On the other hand, $1000 or whatever it is for an OEM bumper seems so damn steep. I can't believe I passed at the opportunity to have insurance fit an m5 bumper 18 months ago!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 to Mr. nobody, I have the DDM M5 bumper on the front and it sticks out ever so slightly around the wheel well. Personally i am accounting this to the fact that i still have the stock plastic engine cover pieces underneath. there was some other thread about fitment that has links to where you can purchase the splash pieces and fender liners OEM or not. I think the cheapest you can get them all for is 125, which seems really pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Would a lack of M5 fender liners prevent the bumper from pushing back all the way so the arch of the bumper is even with the arch of the wheel well?

·
BimmerJunkie
3,819 Posts

The proper fitment issue is why I opted to be more patient and did A LOT of searching until I came across a front M5 bumper off an E39 M5 and it fit perfectly. for the rear I put in an M-Tech rear off an E39 540. (Pix in "My Garage")

·
Registered
64 Posts
Would a lack of M5 fender liners prevent the bumper from pushing back all the way so the arch of the bumper is even with the arch of the wheel well?
No. It wouldn't. I have all the M5 parts (except the M5 bumper). Read on.

I just finished installing mine. Pix tomorrow. Many many pix.

I take back my comment in the previous post about the M5 parts helping fitment. I don't think M5 liners, engine cover, or the requisite brake ducts (engine covers, not the pieces that attach to the insert on the t-bar style grill) for mounting the new cover (5 parts totalling about $300) actually improve the fit. I do think there are a lot of ill-fitting bumpers out there where body shops have done a bad job and or not taken advantage of the bumper mount adjustability, but once I had the bumper in the proper place without those 5 parts it was clear the other parts weren't going to impact the fit further.

Now, those parts DO close a bunch of ugly gaps under your car that I still wanted closed, but they don't help fit. I've read about "flaring" and if that's at the bottom, maybe there parts help with that, but I didn't really notice flaring even before I buttoned the bottom up.

It's worth noting that the test fit was perfect, but I did the test fit without the metal piece from the stock bumper (didn't want to put it in, take it back out, and then get it painted) and without the rubber gasket from the old bumper...

In any case, I too am now ever so slightly short in the wheel arch. More like 1/8 of an inch than 1/4. It is flush on the sides (I've seen plenty that are not), but it is just slightly short in the arch. I'm not sure if the shock absorber the bumper mounts on can be adjusted inward slightly. I guess I'm also not sure if I really should have reused the gasket. The M5 bumper gasket in realoem is ENDED with no replacement...maybe I shouldn't be using a gasket?? (That would almost exactly account for the difference in my current fit between perfect like my test fit and what it is now.)

I may be taking my lights out in a week or two, ergo bumper back off, and depending on what I find out about the gasket, maybe I'll put it back on without it. Anyway, pix etc tomorrow or at least this weekend.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
In any case, I too am now ever so slightly short in the wheel arch. More like 1/8 of an inch than 1/4. It is flush on the sides (I've seen plenty that are not), but it is just slightly short in the arch. I'm not sure if the shock absorber the bumper mounts on can be adjusted inward slightly.
I took my car back to the shop today. Just to be sure, we put on my old bumper to make sure all the fit was correct, and sure enough the old bumper fits perfect.

So we put back the M5 replica bumper and it comes up a 1/4" short on the wheel well gap.

Checked the shocks behind the bumper. For some reason, my driver's side shock is about 1/4" longer than the passenger side shock. We can even tell something isn't right when we look at the the way the bumper support rail lines up with the body. I guess regardless of that, the stock bumper was able to fit using the adjustability in the bumper support.

But with the M5 bumper, we can only get the passenger side arch lined up but the driver side is about 1/4" short. Shop is going to order some new bumper shocks to see if new ones are identical length or also off by 1/4".

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I looked up real oem on the bumper support and bumper shocks. They are all the same part number from every year of production for both the 540 and the M5. So there shouldn't be any bumper carrier or bumper shock compatibility issue with the replica bumpers.

Will try out a new drivers side bumper shock to see if it is shorter like the passenger side shock on my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts