BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Robert Kent
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I know this is a frequent subject brought up but im determined to change my 200 528i pre-facelift front bumper to the m5 bumper. But before i order the bumperr and schedule the paint job I was curious about additional hardware that may be needed. The bumper only comes with the grill, fogs, and the bumper itself. Are there any other things ill need? Like a splash guard for the bottom of the bumper, new mounts, etc etc. Any help is appreciated! Thank you

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't have the M bumper, but I'm pretty sure what your looking for is either a sticky or a quick search will provide.

·
DKUHCreations
164 Posts
if im not mistaken .... it slides right on the car on the tabs on the fenders.. but as far as all the slash sheilds and other air ducking might have to trim it but that part im not sure

·
Robert Kent
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also need to know the bulb size for m5 fogs

·
Robert Kent
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can i get a v8 engine cover for a I6? I just painted mine to make them look better and so far im getting madd attention on them.

Attachments

·
Robert Kent
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice hot air intake.
I know your being sarcastic but its helps believe it or not. My mpg went up significantly and my car is deff faster than stock, i beat a 330 with no sweat. Besides im getting a really nice airbox/heat shield build for it

·
Robert Kent
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
I know your being sarcastic but its helps believe it or not. My mpg went up significantly and my car is deff faster than stock, i beat a 330 with no sweat. Besides im getting a really nice airbox/heat shield build for it
I'll take your word for that. Some E46 330's weigh close to 3500 pounds so they're not as lithe as one might think.

·
Robert Kent
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll take your word for that. Some E46 330's weigh close to 3500 pounds so they're not as lithe as one might think.
I mean i couldn't beat him before the intake, he is my friend so we are always trying to one up each other with our slow cars haha

·
Registered
619 Posts
OP are you ordering a replica or an OEM bumper? If OEM I highly recommend getbmw parts. I got my F&R bumper from them. They really know their stuff and are extremely helpful, plus excellent pricing. They also answered a ton of my questions through AIM.

If you do it, do it right. Get the proper engine covers.

If you are going with an OEM bumper I agree do it right, but I do not necessarily agree with those part numbers. The first two are for an M bumper but without the cutouts to vent the brakes. I would go with the versions that have the cut outs to vent the brakes.

Also the last part number seems to be V8 540/M5 specific I would go with the I6 version of the belly pan 51712695680.

If you are going to bother to change those pieces above you should get the Fender liner supports aka pork chops as well. They are European parts so real oem will not find them unless you click the little europe search box. They should be available, but might just take longer to get to you as they will probably come from BMW europe there were none in stock in the US when I ordered mine.

As far as whether you need this stuff well that really depends on what kid of fitment you want, how picky you are and how much you are have/are willing to spend. When I did my research it seemed a lot of people just did the bumper and their body shop got things to fit. I went the complete mtech OEM route, but I am curious if the non mtech belly pan actually make and contact with the m bumper or if it leaves a gap.

I can tell you this from my experience though the mtech fender liners (1st two items) with or without the cut out are $90+ each! When I ran a check my regular non m ones were only around $20 each. Ridiculous! Just because the are m specific? Comparatively the pork chops which are made out of aluminum are only around $30 each. Weird.

Anyway the m fender liners (regardless of whether they have the brake vent or not are a totally different shape (on the inside edge and front) than the standard ones. They interlock with the mtech belly pan on the sides and interlock with the mtech bumper. So if you are getting the m fender liners also get the m belly pan, basically get all three of those or stick with you current ones.

Also my body shop got confused and initially did not install the pork chops instead leaving the factory plastic ones in place. I had to have them go back and put the pork chops in. It could have been left the way it was, but the plastic pork chops did not line up perfectly with the front vent in the bumper and it seemed like there was some play where the fender liners met the belly pan as not all of the screws had something to attach to. Once I had the correct pork chops installed, there was no movement at and all the screws were used. Which makes sense as I had read the pork chops are a key support piece mostly for the belly pan and to some extent the fender liners. It probably could have been left with way it was, but I am a little anal. Plus I did wait for these things to arrive from Germany so I might as well use them.

There some other parts too that are m specific that crazy anal people like me change. The front air duct (51-71-2-498-939) for example. Most people say you just have to trim the stock piece a little to get the bumper to fit. Probably total overkill. I actually have a pretty detailed list of all the parts I ordered, but depending on whether or not you are going the oem route it may not be useful to you. Let me know if you are going oem or replica. Ia lso also ordered a ton of screws and connectors because I preferred the body shop have too much hardware than not enough.

I would like to eventually to a detailed thread on this as this info is there, but its kinda all over the place. See post #8 for some links to starting points. But let me know if you want more info.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5471967&highlight=#post5471967

·
Robert Kent
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP are you ordering a replica or an OEM bumper? If OEM I highly recommend getbmw parts. I got my F&R bumper from them. They really know their stuff and are extremely helpful, plus excellent pricing. They also answered a ton of my questions through AIM.

If you are going with an OEM bumper I agree do it right, but I do not necessarily agree with those part numbers. The first two are for an M bumper but without the cutouts to vent the brakes. I would go with the versions that have the cut outs to vent the brakes.

Also the last part number seems to be V8 540/M5 specific I would go with the I6 version of the belly pan 51712695680.

If you are going to bother to change those pieces above you should get the Fender liner supports aka pork chops as well. They are European parts so real oem will not find them unless you click the little europe search box. They should be available, but might just take longer to get to you as they will probably come from BMW europe there were none in stock in the US when I ordered mine.

As far as whether you need this stuff well that really depends on what kid of fitment you want, how picky you are and how much you are have/are willing to spend. When I did my research it seemed a lot of people just did the bumper and their body shop got things to fit. I went the complete mtech OEM route, but I am curious if the non mtech belly pan actually make and contact with the m bumper or if it leaves a gap.

I can tell you this from my experience though the mtech fender liners (1st two items) with or without the cut out are $90+ each! When I ran a check my regular non m ones were only around $20 each. Ridiculous! Just because the are m specific? Comparatively the pork chops which are made out of aluminum are only around $30 each. Weird.

Anyway the m fender liners (regardless of whether they have the brake vent or not are a totally different shape (on the inside edge and front) than the standard ones. They interlock with the mtech belly pan on the sides and interlock with the mtech bumper. So if you are getting the m fender liners also get the m belly pan, basically get all three of those or stick with you current ones.

Also my body shop got confused and initially did not install the pork chops instead leaving the factory plastic ones in place. I had to have them go back and put the pork chops in. It could have been left the way it was, but the plastic pork chops did not line up perfectly with the front vent in the bumper and it seemed like there was some play where the fender liners met the belly pan as not all of the screws had something to attach to. Once I had the correct pork chops installed, there was no movement at and all the screws were used. Which makes sense as I had read the pork chops are a key support piece mostly for the belly pan and to some extent the fender liners. It probably could have been left with way it was, but I am a little anal. Plus I did wait for these things to arrive from Germany so I might as well use them.

There some other parts too that are m specific that crazy anal people like me change. The front air duct (51-71-2-498-939) for example. Most people say you just have to trim the stock piece a little to get the bumper to fit. Probably total overkill. I actually have a pretty detailed list of all the parts I ordered, but depending on whether or not you are going the oem route it may not be useful to you. Let me know if you are going oem or replica. Ia lso also ordered a ton of screws and connectors because I preferred the body shop have too much hardware than not enough.

I would like to eventually to a detailed thread on this as this info is there, but its kinda all over the place. See post #8 for some links to starting points. But let me know if you want more info.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5471967&highlight=#post5471967
That was ALOT of information to digest but extremely helpful. You wouldnt happen to know about how much it would cost to get everything done right including paint? I dont have loads of money to spend i just want that m5 look really badly. I was thinking of going with a OEM replica made out of PP plastic but i havnt decided yet. How much is the real oem bumper?

·
Registered
619 Posts
You are not going to like oem prices. I started a car fund, saved for 5 years to buy my e39 and used the left over money in the car fund to pay for the mtech front and rear bumpers.

I got F&R bumpers so my prices will probably not be that helpful. I would just use getbmwparts website to price the parts you are considering (from my parts list below) to give you an idea of parts prices. You can search multiple part number at once.
http://getbmwparts.com/

oem front bumpers with headlight washers retails for $683 and $546 is getbmw parts price. $655 and $524 for the one without headlight washers.

Paint and install was pretty expensive it came to $909. Remember that is F&R if you are only doing front it will be less. I got three different estimates and they were all in that ballpark. It seemed high to me, but I did went to three pretty reputable places. I think I asked another member and he told me he got his done for $600 or $700 for paint and install. I got mine done just before I left Raleigh this summer, you might be bale to find some better prices in your part of NC.

I think I would have saved $200 if I did the install myself, but I did not have workspace (apt) or enough time to do it myself. I actually got this done right before I moved back to NY from NC. If you have the time and workspace you might want to do the install yourself.

Ultimately its your money and you gotta ask yourself what you want to do with it. Also depends on how much of a perfectionist you are. Seems like most of the people on here and the other forum go with reps and are happy with the results. I am glad I went oem, but I am pretty picky, plus I had the money saved up already and the car did not need anything else at the time. Not to mention that was at the top of my mod list.

Here is list if you wanted to do everything oem for the front bumper
51-11-7-894-378 Front bumper headlight washer
or
51-11-2-498-507 Front bumper no headlight washer & no pdc
maybe
51-11-7-894-379 Front bumper headlight washer & pdc

51-71-2-694-899 Wheel liner/support Right (540/530/528/525)
51-71-2-694-832 Wheel liner/support Left (540/530/528/525)
51-71-7-892-296 F.L. metal bracket/support duct (530/528/525)
51-71-7-892-295 F.L. metal bracket/support duct (530/528/525)
51-11-2-494-193 Front Buffer Strip Left (Shadowline)
51-11-2-494-194 Front Buffer Strip Right (Shadowline)
51-11-7-890-013 Air Duct Left
51-11-7-890-014 Air Duct Right
51-11-2-695-761 Alternator Air Duct (528/525/530) Driver's Side
51-11-7-891-421 Fog Light Frame Left w/Alternator cut out(528/530)
51-11-2-496-284 Fog Light Frame Right (All)
63-17-7-894-017 Fog Lamp Left CLEAR LENS (540)
63-17-7-894-018 Fog Lamp Right CLEAR LENS (540) [you can get projector fogs for less, a lot of people liek them better especially if you want to do HID kit]
61-13-8-364-498 Plug For Fog Lamp x2
51-11-8-191-149 Gasket x2 (2125MM)

51-11-2-495-280 Black mesh grille w/ for T-grill and ducts
51-11-7-893-048 Web Center (commonly called T-Grill)
or
51-11-2-496-285 M5 mesh grille
or aftermarket sink drain style think someone might have black ones
http://www.umnitza.com/e39-m5-front-grill-with-stainless-brake-ducts-p-1326.html
http://www.modbargains.com/Aluminum-Grille-E39-M5.htm

51-11-2-693-539 Front Tow Flap may or may not come wit the front bumper
51-71-2-498-939 Front Air Duct [prob can just reuse yours]

Hardware
Probably will end up with some leftovers
51-11-8-174-185 Expanding Rivet x30 Schwarz
51-41-8-201-057 Axial Securing Clip x10
51 71 8 176 503 clamp for euro porkchops x22
51-71-8-218-852 screw plug (belly pan) x3
51-71-8-218-323 screw plug (belly pan) x9
51-71-8-229-003 expaning rivet (belly or pork) x14
51-71-8-195-383 circlip (belly)x14