BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I found this on e-Bay and i'm wondering what you guys think. I mean.. what's the down side since it's so cheap .

I will mention i pay attnetion to the details on a car so i'm wondering if the bumper fits perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUMPER-PROJECTOR-FOG-LIGHT-GRILLE-MOLDING-97-03-BMW-E39_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem160328714708QQitemZ160328714708QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
Its cheaper if you go Umnitza or DDM

·
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)
1,567 Posts
Its cheaper if you go Umnitza or DDM
if you dont mind driving down to sd to pick them up def go with ddm, just call and makes sure they have them in stock..

the reps are slightly narrower than the stock m5 bumpers, and if you get the correct additional parts [fender liners ect..] the fitment will be really good.

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
if you dont mind driving down to sd to pick them up def go with ddm, just call and makes sure they have them in stock..
It would still be cheaper if you ordered them and had them shipped rather than going with that ebay link posted by OP.
Now if you say you would rather go pick them up because it takes them forever to ship them out :)confused:) then okay.

·
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)
1,567 Posts
It would still be cheaper if you ordered them and had them shipped rather than going with that ebay link posted by OP.
Now if you say you would rather go pick them up because it takes them forever to ship them out :)confused:) then okay.
ya since he is only a 2 hour drive from ddm it would be cheapest (and fastest) to get them directly from ddm.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
i had them fogs and still have them but i put on oem m5 fogs on. i like them. going back to them soon when i have time to put them on.

·
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)
1,567 Posts
for some reason i feel like the m5 bumpers look odd with the projector fogs... but how is the beam pattern with the projectors? i want to make my fogs hid, so im considering the projectors if the light output is more controlled.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the projector lamps included it ends up neing expensive at both Umnitza and DDM. Don't you guys think so? I'm looking at their online prices. Umnitza does not have the projector fogs either. I'm going to get an HID fog kit so i surely want to go with the projector to match the headlamps. Also where can i find the 8000k bulbs for cheap?

Anyone with a picture of the fitment of one of this cheaper options for their bumper?

·
True BMW Enthusiast
174 Posts
we stock projector fogs.
do you paint them too (factory BMW colours) at an additional cost?
another thread here mentioned you may offer that service too yesterday.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Umnitza, I see you carry them. But if you compare the price for the bumper then add the projector fogs, then your price is way more expensive.

Thanks kaptom540, I was talking of pictures of the Bumper though. Is yours one of this cheaper options or the $700 ones? It looks great. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
My advice is don't...

...not because of some "pure OEM" bias, but simply based on experience. You'd think it wouldn't be hard to make a quality knock off that fits correctly. Make a mold, use a similar quality plastic, et voila!

Common fit issues you'll read about are fender gap and sag under the headlights. I had both issues, at least, until my bumper shattered when I hit a pothole. Granted, that could have happened even with the OEM bumper, but having now discarded the knock off and replaced it with OEM, the material and fitment differences are obvious. Not to mention it ultimately would have been cheaper to do it right the first time.

Mistakes

To be clear, we are talking M5 bumper. Don't be fooled by my out of date sig pic.

·
True BMW Enthusiast
174 Posts
Umnitza, I see you carry them. But if you compare the price for the bumper then add the projector fogs, then your price is way more expensive.
well to be honest
i will pay a little extra to get what i want for reasons outlined:

1, reputation of dealer <- remember if something goes wrong.. the dealer is going to do all he can to fix it rather then get a bad rep here on this forum
2, quality of part <- no chinese made ebay junk that will break before you install it
3, support advertisers of this forum <- if the dealer doesnt sell off this forum he wont advertise here, and if they dont advertise here, the forum owners cant pay server bills etc.. which equals no bimmerfest forum..
I enjoy coming here for free, and wish to support my home any way i can

jmho.. but it is the right thing to do

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks kaptom540, I was talking of pictures of the Bumper though. Is yours one of this cheaper options or the $700 ones? It looks great. :)[/quote]

Mine are OEM M-tech from Bekkers .. I purchased the bumpers about 2 years ago .. but what I have heard the replica are pretty good in relations to the price .. there are some hit or miss but i read most people are pretty happy with the replicas from the vendors ..

Lookin good. How's the light output compared to OEM M5 fogs? Do you have any pics of the cutoff/beam spread?
Understand the OEM M5 Fogs schatters the light when using HID fogs .. looks great .. but on coming traffic hates it .. you need to make sure you point the light patten directly downwards .. This is also true with the projector fogs .. you can point them too high and will have the same issues ..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
THanks guys. I'll be going down to San Diego very soon. Now what's a typical price to get it painted? A good quality job but at a reasonable price?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts