BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M5 is here

3014 26
First F10 M5 arrived today in Boston.

Sticker is $115k and it sounds like an F1 race car.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
I saw a black one with dealer plates ripp'en down to the Cape this weekend...Saturday AM...around 10ish. Might be the same car. Sounded mean as MoFo going by...was in my wife's X3, so no playing tag with that monster.
They have one at BMW Sterling and one at BMW Annapolis lol
Makes the M sport pack on the 528/535/550/ seem like rediculous wannabe child's play. :eeps:

HI, you like my faux M? :dunno:
The M5 has different rims, different front air dam (guess that is what it is called), trunk lip spoiler, different burgers, different rear diffuser, different exhaust and a clear "M" on the trunk. Not really sure if it shares much of anything with the Msport.:dunno:

I have an Msport and while I like it leaps and bounds esthetically more than an non-Msport, don't believe most will confuse it with a real M5. Not exactly a wannabe.
Makes the M sport pack on the 528/535/550/ seem like rediculous wannabe child's play. :eeps:

BMW is very good at marketing and getting people to pay 10% more for appearance packages, wheels, etc.

Think about it, on a $60k car, if I can add $1000 in parts/differences and charge $6k more, that is a pretty hefty profit.

I doubt the M wheels cost any more to make than the standard alloys. Neither are true forged M wheels.

Plastic bumpers, side plastics, etc. no cost difference.

Suspension, again, not much cost, but perhaps the most costly of the bunch.

I just did a price quote for my insurance... New Camry at 32k = 970*2 premium, M5 at 115k = 1362*2 :rofl:
The funfer ZSP used to be a fantastic deal with it's upgraded seats, steering wheel and sport suspension including ars. It was a steal even without any of the cosmetics it contained ( wheels & shadow line ). M-Sport is as you say another story though. It's been a margin booster which has now gotten a bit out of control. Too much M badges everywhere and too expensive without any real substance. However, it seems to be working well for them. There are a lot of M-sport F10s around here. As usual people vote with there wallet, everything else is noise to the company.

Insurance is weird. My insurance went up with 5 bucks a year when I swapped from the 535 to the M3. Talk about pleasant surprise.
BMW is very good at marketing and getting people to pay 10% more for appearance packages, wheels, etc.

Think about it, on a $60k car, if I can add $1000 in parts/differences and charge $6k more, that is a pretty hefty profit.

I doubt the M wheels cost any more to make than the standard alloys. Neither are true forged M wheels.

It's not marketing. There are substantially more things in the M5. My M5 is 23k more than my 550i as configured. That $23k gives me a lot:
- Reworked V8 with additional 160hp
- The exhaust manifolds and turbos are placed inside the V thanks to a wider angle block that enables a reduction of turbo lag by design relative to the 550i V8. In fact there is virtually no lag with this design. It is substantially less lagged than the Porsche Turbos or the 550i
- M DCT which Chris Harris says is the best DCT on the market now (He owns a 911 GT3) so I don't think he is biased
- M Active differential which allows me to get power down much better than my 550i while retaining the dynamic handling of RWD which the 550xi cannot match
- hydraulic steering with user configurable settings allowing me to adjust amount of weight and feedback from the steering
- a much better suspension
- better exhaust
- all of the above is race tuned for track usage in Sport+ mode and it shows
- M HUD which gives you RPM, gear selection and active shift indicator lights to help you maximize performance and get much more out of the paddles (paddles are a waste of time in the 550i)
- an actively engineered acoustic experience which is heavenly. The 550i by comparison is a tomb of silence.
- lighter and stronger forged wheels
- much bigger tires and higher quality ones too
- a full leather interior which eliminates all plastic finish areas and adds leather to the upper door arms, lower parts of the doors, lower dash, seat backs, headrest backs, and lower part of the center console area. That's a lot more leather.
- Individual Platinum Merino leather - which is a much higher grade of leather and is a custom order color choice where as my Oyster Nappa on the 550i while nice was also quite common and not the same calibre.
- Alcantara headliner
- Individual Piano Black wood trim
- Bang And Olufsen sound system with double the watts
- Heated seats in the back
- leather trim in center console instead of wood. A small enhancement but very practical one
- Exclusive paint finishes which would cost $5k extra on the 550i
- rear spoiler
- side vents
- wider fender

Is all of that worth $23k. I think so since the B&O sound alone costs $3800. The custom leather interior with wood trim was $7800. So separate those two out and I only paid $12k more for all that engineering advancement. Bargain if you ask me.

Oh and it's faster than a Panamera Turbo which will cost 40k more.
I thought it was the M-sport pkg that was mentioned as marketing. The M5 is not. No M-car is marketing, they are a different bread including the F10 even if the engine is more like the 550 than say the E60 M5 or the E9X M3 engines which are unique M creations from scratch.

I think that Stealth will be absolutely blown away by the new M5 once he gets really comfortable with it. No test drive can get you to that point with a car of this caliber. It takes a while to get to know it. It's first when you do that you can fully appreciate it and understand that it goes way beyond how fast or powerful it is. I think this car will fit him like a glove, especially since he embraces all new active/electronic technologies.
It's not marketing. There are substantially more things in the M5. My M5 is 23k more than my 550i as configured. That $23k gives me a lot:
- The exhaust manifolds and turbos are placed inside the V thanks to a wider angle block that enables a reduction of turbo lag by design relative to the 550i V8. In fact there is virtually no lag with this design. It is substantially less lagged than the Porsche Turbos or the 550i
- M DCT which Chris Harris says is the best DCT on the market now (He owns a 911 GT3) so I don't think he is biased
- M Active differential which allows me to get power down much better than my 550i while retaining the dynamic handling of RWD which the 550xi cannot match
- hydraulic steering with user configurable settings allowing me to adjust amount of weight and feedback from the steering
- better exhaust
- M HUD which gives you RPM, gear selection and active shift indicator lights to help you maximize performance and get much more out of the paddles (paddles are a waste of time in the 550i)
- an actively engineered acoustic experience which is heavenly. The 550i by comparison is a tomb of silence.
- a full leather interior which eliminates all plastic finish areas and adds leather to the upper door arms, lower parts of the doors, lower dash, seat backs, headrest backs, and lower part of the center console area. That's a lot more leather.
- Individual Platinum Merino leather - which is a much higher grade of leather and is a custom order color choice where as my Oyster Nappa on the 550i while nice was also quite common and not the same calibre.
- Alcantara headliner
- leather trim in center console instead of wood. A small enhancement but very practical one
- rear spoiler
- side vents
- wider fender

Is all of that worth $23k. I think so since the B&O sound alone costs $3800. The custom leather interior with wood trim was $7800. So separate those two out and I only paid $12k more for all that engineering advancement. Bargain if you ask me.
yes, chuck is talking about MSport F10's , not M5.

cost difference of $1000, price difference around $6k.
Yeah the M Sport package is a cynical thing. On the other hand, there's a guy on another forum who must have spent about $10k to change his fenders, bumpers, diffuser and exhaust tips to match the M5.
yes, chuck is talking about MSport F10's , not M5.

cost difference of $1000, price difference around $6k.
I bet it was at least double that.

And it's on a 528.
Yeah the M Sport package is a cynical thing. On the other hand, there's a guy on another forum who must have spent about $10k to change his fenders, bumpers, diffuser and exhaust tips to match the M5.
he should have radars to detect and avoid original M5's coming his way. :p
I bet it was at least double that.

And it's on a 528.
We already have a few f10 m5's rolling around up here in Vancouver, funny thing tho is all the ones I've spotted are black so either it's a really popular color or the first batch of cars to make it to NA are black.
In 2011, the Sport Package (19" wheels, 19" tires, leather steering wheel, & multicontour seats) was $2,200; DHP (adaptive drive & ARS) was $2,700; and the anthracite headliner was $500 for a total of $5,400. The $6,500 MSport package had all of the aforementioned features plus M steering wheel, 351M 19" wheels, and the $3,500 aerodynamic body work including brake ducting. So to me the net cost of the MSport package is $1,100 and quite a bargain at that.

BTW,

The 19" wheels and 19" tires do cost more to make/buy than the 18" standard set-up.

The 18-way multicontour seats are more expensive to make than the 10-way standard seats.

The DHP components are significantly more expensive to build than the standard components, unless of course the cost difference between a simple solid steel rods and electronically controlled hydraulically driven couplings that reactively twists the roll bars in response to the current driving condition is minor.

The only thing that really doesn't cost anything extra is the anthracite headliner, but try getting Mercedes to install one. I tried on my SL and they said $5,500.

Below is pic of your no cost difference plastic bumpers:

- better exhaust
- Alcantara headliner
- rear spoiler
- side vents
- wider fender

Oh and it's faster than a Panamera Turbo which will cost 40k more.
This is exactly why I have held back on the Panny....it is you that convinced me to wait it out and see the M5. I was thinking of a 550i to replace my car and realized that the M5 fuel economy is only a little worse and the sticker price is only about 20k more. So yes I agree with you that the M5 is worth the bump in price given the level of performance you are getting. If the M5 is all you say it is and I decide to go that way then I will just wait a couple of years for the heat to die down and then run a custom order through Adrian at x over invoice. BTW...my dream M5 is only 93.3k (alpine white over sakhir orange with 20 inch wheels, M-DCT and BMW apps) and if I can get ED pricing down the road I can probably steal that thing for about 84k which is very close to US delivery 550i cost (I am generally not big on ED, but would do it with this car just for the savings).
M5 is a beast and much different than a 550i M-Sport (which I own).

However, if you think the M5 is a "track car" you are in for a surprise. It overheats and is too heavy. A M3 will likely be faster around a road course, although maybe not a very long one like the N-Ring.

In addition to my 2012 550i, I also have a Gen IV Viper (620+ hp, 580trq). There is no comparison between these two cars in terms of a road course and handling, and this would not change with the M5, although the M5 would have very clear advantages in all categories vs. the 550i.

The M5 is an awesome street car, that same as some of the Mercedes AMG cars. This street power is mostly for bragging rights since like most luxury SUVs, the M5s and AMGs will not leave the street. For me the $30-40k realistic difference in price (not $23k) between the nicely-optioned 550i M-Sport and the M5 was not worth it. Of course, I also now have HREs and ACS springs. Dinan S2 will be next once they fix the "Drive Train Malfunction" and have a sale!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.