Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subject has been discussed many times, but I'd like to ask for personal experience from those who have put an M50 intake manifold on an M52 or S52 engine... I'm considering this mod on my 2.8L M52 engine and i'd like to know whether you guys (who have done it) are happy with the mod or whether the loss of low-end torque is too large to make this worthwhile. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. Actually I had already seen that page and I'm aware that the M50 manifold flows air much better, but my question is actually what does that result in? Apparently, more air flowing is bad for torque at low RPMs... so the question is how much worse the performance is at low rpms and how much better it is at high rpms.

·
Run Far
367 Posts
People think it's about the size difference in cross section, but the key is really the length of the runners. You can compensate for the the loss of low end torque to some degree, and the general consensus is that the high end horsepower gain makes the mod worth it. Here's a quote from a buddy of mine on another forum:

There's a very noticable difference in performance up high, but I did lose a good amount of low end torque... however by me doing pulleys and fan delete at the same time, it reversed that loss into a bit of gain on torque too. I'm planning on dyno'ing sometime soon.
You can check out his install here
http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/thread2133.html&highlight=m50+manifold

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, that's some good info. Thanks. I've already done the fan delete and I'm planning pulleys too, so it seems like the M50 manifold is indeed a very good idea for the S/M52 engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts