BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I own an e46 318i n46 engine, saloon which everyone knows is a crap engine. I m thinking to start a project with this car, because I like e46 and this one is a 05' no rust and all that. What I have in mind, is to get an m52 2l from an e46 00', because we all know 6 is better than 4, and yes I would love to go for an 2.5 or 3l but I try to keep it in the same motor tax band, insurance and all that. What yous think about this, and one of my questions is, if the cruise control will work, after all the conversion. I have the donnor car, so I need nothing I guess, just to start swap almost everything? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Are you sure about this?

You're going to have tons of tons of work for getting from 141hp to 148hp.
That m52tub20 is exactly smallest 6-cylinder there is, so you won't gain anything.
AND atleast here in Finland it's not allowed to change older engine into newer car.
M54B22 would be fine, because it was in production same year like your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as i know m52tu 2l is 150bhp, and yes about older version in a newer car, i did not tink about this. Thanks for bring it ou. I will have a look. As i said, i don t want to jump up from motor tax band, 2.2 would be with arould 300 euros / year more that 2.0. Maybe is not such a big problem, but i allready have the second car, and ready to start taking apart both.

·
Registered
463 Posts
It would be cheaper and less headaches to sell your current car, and buy a car with a bigger engine - unless you just enjoy the challenge of doing something very difficult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts