BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spare motor trans harness from my 328i sitting in my basement and I was just wondering if it would swap right into the z3 ? Forgive me for the silly question but I guess the z3 came with an m52 but I was not sure if it would go right in ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1473557334.138648.jpg maybe there are some differences . I'm more or less looking to see if it's do able or if it's not worth it if it helps any the shell I wanted to use came with the 1.9l ...thanks ahead of time

·
Registered
12,414 Posts
the z3 engine was an aluminum block m52, otherwise, everything else was similar. i am not certain if the front subframe was different for the m52 vs the m44, and the spring rates are most likely going to be different, so i would factor on going with an upgraded spring to compensate for the additional weight.

accessories may be a little different, as well as associated brackets and components (mostly thinking ac here), but other than that, i do not see why one could not manage to perform the swap if given the time and initiative.

df

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'm hoping for a z3 swap I'm just getting really curious with the topic the spring thing makes sense I'm not too worried about accessories like ac ,I'm looking forward to making this work thanks for the tips DF

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 2000 3.0L and 2000 2.0L Z3's
395 Posts
Check out the part number for the oil pan/sump between the donor car and the Z3. I think they are different as the Z3 requires a lower engine mounting to get it under the hood/bonnet. If the oil pan/sump is different, then the oil pump setup and pick up lines will also be different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts