BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Long story short no S54's available in the country so thought of swapped a 3.0 M54 for a while

How hard is it?
Is it doable?

The car is manual btw

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
Engine swaps ain`t what they used to be....even though the basic engine architecture is similar, everything else is different. As in EVERYTHING....the mechanical stuff is the easier part to overcome. It`s all the electronics, control systems, etc. that makes the swap difficult & expensive. Know-how, money, and time can solve most issues, just be ready to invest a bunch of all three....
Good luck ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine swaps ain`t what they used to be....even though the basic engine architecture is similar, everything else is different. As in EVERYTHING....the mechanical stuff is the easier part to overcome. It`s all the electronics, control systems, etc. that makes the swap difficult & expensive. Know-how, money, and time can solve most issues, just be ready to invest a bunch of all three....
Good luck ! :thumbup:
I mean I thought its a simple swap since it's meant to be for the E46

·
Keeping it surreal
43,187 Posts
I mean I thought its a simple swap since it's meant to be for the E46
Even though they are housed in the same basic architecture, there are a TON of differences between the M3 and non-M E46s....there have been a few guys who have performed this swap successfully, but they will all tell you that it was a tedious and expensive process.

For the amount of effort (and $) required, vs. the performance reward, to me, the benefits of an LS swap FAR outweighs that of an S54 swap. (Yeah yeah, I know...."Blasphemy", and all that good sh!t....:D)

·
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
6,002 Posts
I believe this came up on the E39 forum recently and the OP was in a location where an LS swap was not even a possibility and if that is also the case for your location...
While Bob has it pretty much nailed, I'd suggest looking around for an M3 that's been in an accident - preferable rear end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts